Unitram Track

to2leo

http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2009/08/ntlr0600unitram.html#more

I google translated for you.  Enjoy!

KATO N Gauge [dispatch], "Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 shape" and tramway system "UNITRAM" News Release (excerpts)

2009 Winter Release Goals

Toyama Light Rail Starter Set ● 40-900 YUNITORAMU TLR0600 32,550 yen ● 14-801-1 Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 form (red) 9,975 yen ● 14-801-4 Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 form (blue) 9,975 yen ● 14-801 -- Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 type 5 (Green) 9,975 yen ● 40-800 tramway base set YUNITORAMU V50 18,900 yen

Our goal is to release the 2009 Winter, N gauge "form TLR0600 Toyama Light Rail", and operate a tramway system that "UNITRAM" (YUNITORAMU) and can be released.

"UNITRAM" track for track and drive a streetcar, was born by the fusion of experience JIOTAUNSHISUTEMU enjoy a simple urban model, "創RERU the city's streetcar run" is a brand new tramway system.

YUNITORAMUSUTATASETTO, and YUNITORAMU basic set, you can set up small items and accessories and auto-structure of our existing streets, towns can be fun and enjoyable experience.

Details are below, thank you with a variety of products.

Below, JAM (international model railroad convention) is to be presented at. Introduced around 10 orders.

■ Product details

Toyama Light Rail Starter Set ● 40-900 YUNITORAMU TLR0600 32,550 yen

Also the first model train, train set a new track (LRT) can start to play in urban driving.

Contents 1. TLR0600 form of Toyama Light Rail (Red) x1

2. Tramway plate set (endless double line)

3. 4 center pole and accessories. PAWAPAKKUSUTANDADO x1 (If you enjoy driving a double line, Power Pack 1 is required to add more.)

● 14-801-1 Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 form (red) 9,975 yen ● 14-801-4 Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 form (blue) 9,975 yen ● 14-801-5 form TLR0600 Toyama Light Rail (Green) 9,975 yen

KATO which products are the first N gauge model train track. Toyama Light Rail TLR0600 prototype of the form.

It is said that the new urban transportation LRT (RAITORERUTORANJITTO) corresponding to the LRV (RAITORERUBIGURU).

Features 1.UNITRAM the streets slowly, adopting a new engine of development percolate.

2. Headlights, taillights, lights standard.

3. Well represented despite the small car. Enjoy a ride to the passengers and driver figure.

● 40-800 YUNITORAMU base set tramway V50 18,900 yen

The set is a set of accessories and endless tramway. Many large urban play and run the new tram to enjoy the products we have for the existing products and power packs.

Tramway plate set of content (※ line is identical with the starter set)

[source: FAX the following information from retailers:

(FAX information: "GOWASU shop"-like)

From time NGI 2009 August 18 (Tuesday) 17:14 KATO | page separately

Trackback

Trackback This page URL:

http://app.blog.eonet.jp/t/trackback/347059/21057825

Trackback to this page listing KATO [dispatch] N gauge "form TLR0600 Toyama Light Rail" and tramway system "UNITRAM" Notice of Release (excerpts):

Comments

I kind.

Zowie! ! !

Meccha high Oz

Let's play I'll settle for iron KORE MUMU U!

敷I FUREKI also have a line to the pavement in oneself and self-made cardboard!

The prices people are trying to Kato (sweat

"KATO which products are the first N gauge model train track."

... Hanover is a large electrical or ... ignore it?

I'm not a believer, in KORE iron play.

Hanover w

A居RIMASHITA SOUIYA

Electric spaceワカcircumstances ½ ² °。・・(ノД `)ヽ(; Д;)

KORE MATTARI drop in iron w

7 Given that the colors get

KORE iron?

I have finally approaching!

Toyama Light Rail KORE iron! ! !

The fun evening眠REZU (> WA <)

It'll be a mind set of the basic tramway YUNITORAMU.

... If your vehicle is too high, so bear with iron w KORE

... Hanover is a large electrical or ... ignore it?

Please remind him that the line of small electric pocket ...

Let's play and not settle for a place up anyway ...

To hammer out a new but good, I just have a short post.

So買IMASEN.

It captures me in a positive light. I think his motivation was Cato might smack of the vagus.

The DCC is really great if you respond. And continue to enjoy driving the track, that track will take the DCC.

CaptOblivious

So are the Kato models listed for pre-order anywhere yet?

Not yet, that I can see, nor the Unitram stuff either. Soon, though, if the are aiming for a winter 2009 release!

another chap posted another blog with some info on one of the other lists

http://joshintrain.tblog.jp/

he found info that the unitram corners are 25mm spacing on the straights (figuring they wan to cash in on the japanese ttrak crowd who will snap this stuff up fast, and have curve sections that go from the 25mm to 33mm spacing so you can have room on the curves for passing as well as creating all 33mm curves  if you want for alternate spacing. looks like at 180mm radius curves, but says inner and outer so not sure which is 180mm r! so way in the range for ttrak and expect it will work out well for standard ttrak use as again ttrak will be a big initial market for this stuff!

also looks like they have tiny 3v motors in the trucks! very interesting design. going to have to get at least one of these babies to go with the tomytec ones!

cheers,

jeff

Very interesting link it shows more about the track than I knew about it. I had n idea the street plate is attached to the curves. The one thing I like about the Kato tram is unlike the Tomix, you can see through the cars the chassis won't block the windows.

Very nice,

Just started with T-Trak and use 33mm spacing for simplicity and compability with turnouts and station Platform. However the 25 Track syszten from Kato looks very promising, also the curves have a transition curve which i guess is a first for any settrack. Now if they just make turnouts for 25mm that would be great. Lots of Modelers with Peco Code55 track could use Kato Turnouts on the hidden parts of the layout as they are much easier to handle than the Peco ones while they keep the 25mm spacing.

The trams looks very awesome, a see trough low floor vehicle  in N, just marvelous. Guess the Modemo guys have to do some overtime  :grin.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks a lot guys, for the great research!

One has to applaud KATO for introducing a new line of track in tough economic times but I predict a winner. Model trams address the 2 main constraints of the hobby: space; and cost. And they can be a perfect adjunct to any existing train layout. The space between the rails on the straights is fantastic. Hopefully, they will introduce track variations such as turnouts, wyes (for tram terminals), crossovers and tighter radii. After all, layouts should be more than loops.

Still, the track, the street template and the tram platform (as depicted in the picks) are a terrific start.

I'm in for an early purchase for the track/street but will hold off on trams until its clear that more track variation is to come.

Finally, I feel the tram track would look great for urban terminals and the new tram track curves might be useful for those wanting tighter radii to save space.

This is a great day for the hobby!

Wow, that is cool.  Love the pictures (thanks for sharing Rick!).  I got intrigued by the Tomix tram 'system' last year and am in the midst of using some of their curves and their tram/street system to put in an end to end tram line on my layout.  Of course, this complicates things (what with Kato doing what looks like really nice stuff here).  Like the others, that is a very cool looking tram, and as one other poster mentioned, has a universal look that would be great in almost any modern light rail/tram system around the world.

Wow, that is cool.  Love the pictures (thanks for sharing Rick!).   I got intrigued by the Tomix tram 'system' last year and am in the midst of using some of their curves and their tram/street system to put in an end to end tram line on my layout.  Of course, this complicates things (what with Kato doing what looks like really nice stuff here).  Like the others, that is a very cool looking tram, and as one other poster mentioned, has a universal look that would be great in almost any modern light rail/tram system around the world.

There's an equal amount of buzz on the Yahoo groups as well as to the new Unitram system.

Hobby Dreamer
Kato's tram track definitely looks better, but the advantage Tomix has is that their sets can be used with regular track and is real easy to cut to certain lengths etc.

Hi Martijn,

Don't know if you noticed this but the Kato Unitram straights join well with 2 single Unitrack straights as below

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/meitetsu_panorama2000/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=http://img.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/76/dc/meitetsu_panorama2000/folder/369000/img_369000_29407157_1?1250977682

This may have some interesting potential uses. For example, I found an interesting bridge in HO that will not accept Kato double track Unitrack, but might be able to handle the 2 singles. And if not, then you lose the trackbed - so Untram to 2 Unitrack singles to lose the trackbed to over the bridge! If you get my meaning.

The first Unitram curve section (sorry cannot find a good photo) starts with the 25mm spacing but then increases the radii of the outer track, so that trams/trains can pass on the curve, and ends up with the track separation used on regular double Unitrack.

I don't foresee Kato making bridges for Unitram track, so this transitional piece may be useful for trams to use traditional Unitrack bridges. And 2 of these transitional pieces can be joined to make a nice "jog" in the tracks. While there is nothing wrong with having a long tram straight, a nice jog in the tracks can make things interesting.

------------------

I love the photos from the Tomix site (see my thread above); but is the colour of the trackbed really as cool as depicted in these photos? And, is it easy to add street pavement on the side that look as perfect as in the photos, or is this just Master modelling combined with professional photograghy?

I don't know about you all, but I'd love a layout that looks as clean as one in the Tomix photos.

Martijn Meerts
Kato's tram track definitely looks better, but the advantage Tomix has is that their sets can be used with regular track and is real easy to cut to certain lengths etc.

Hi Martijn,

Don't know if you noticed this but the Kato Unitram straights join well with 2 single Unitrack straights as below

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/meitetsu_panorama2000/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=http://img.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/76/dc/meitetsu_panorama2000/folder/369000/img_369000_29407157_1?1250977682

This may have some interesting potential uses. For example, I found an interesting bridge in HO that will not accept Kato double track Unitrack, but might be able to handle the 2 singles. And if not, then you lose the trackbed - so Untram to 2 Unitrack singles to lose the trackbed to over the bridge! If you get my meaning.

The first Unitram curve section (sorry cannot find a good photo) starts with the 25mm spacing but then increases the radii of the outer track, so that trams/trains can pass on the curve, and ends up with the track separation used on regular double Unitrack.

I don't foresee Kato making bridges for Unitram track, so this transitional piece may be useful for trams to use traditional Unitrack bridges. And 2 of these transitional pieces can be joined to make a nice "jog" in the tracks. While there is nothing wrong with having a long tram straight, a nice jog in the tracks can make things interesting.

------------------

I love the photos from the Tomix site (see my thread above); but is the colour of the trackbed really as cool as depicted in these photos? And, is it easy to add street pavement on the side that look as perfect as in the photos, or is this just Master modelling combined with professional photograghy?

I don't know about you all, but I'd love a layout that looks as clean as one in the Tomix photos.

The problem is that I don't use Unitrack, I prefer the look of Fine track, and it has (at the moment) more options than Unitrack. Of course there's a conversion piece from Unitrack to Fine Track..

As for the Tomix stuff, it's quite easy to get the look in the Tomix pictures. And their tram stuff definitely looks good. I just think the Kato stuff looks better for track that runs in the city for example. And it's much closer together than the Fine Track stuff, which keeps the default 37mm spacing.

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Martijn, I hear you...

That Kato to Tomix conversion Track sounds interesting. I don't like the Tomix double tram track but there may be potential for the single track Tomix Finescale Tram track, such as in the Tomix site photos. I love the photo of the tram snaking through the curves.

My prediction is that Kato will introduce a 90 crossing track and a wye to compete with Tomix. And maybe down the road, single tram track and single tram track with tighter radius. After all, they went to great lengths to illustrate that the new trams can negotiate an R90 curve. And the street panels look as though they left space for a turnout (essentially the track either follows the curve or goes straight), since the street panel seems to have room for this.

Kato went above and beyond for the Unitram track so it would not make sense to not go just a bit further.

There is one configuration (and I am sure all you Tomix Finetrackers  know the site) that I like as below:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ET-dwgs/ET-Plaza.jpg

From this site:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ET-dwgs/ETdrawings.htm

Its too much to wish for that Kato would produce a large array of tram track and given the lack of Kato turnouts on curves it might be cool to follow the guideline posted in the above site for Finetrack. The site mentions that key track elements have to be customized but maybe losing the double track at each intersection might help.

It would take a lot of "playing around" but the roundabout concept would look cool, especially with the Portrams.

Every day I am turning more Japanese....

Rick

Hobby Dreamer
Hobby Dreamer
That roundabout with the Fine Track looks real nice, gonna have to check that out a bit ;)

Hi Martin,

Do you know the radius of the track he calls RH140-30; it would seem to be 140mm but its a turnout so its a bit unclear as he uses it with C177-30 curves. Also, I am not sure that the 140 refers to the length of the straight or the radius of the curve, in this turnout. The diagram looks circular but is he padding the circle with higher radius tracks to accommodate the 4 directional feeds in/out?

If you read his text, he calls the feeder tracks C140-45 but these do not exist in the Tomix catalog. The challenge with the Tomix double track is the width between the 2 tracks. I suspect he uses C177 curves to pad the circle to help make the transition to Tomix feeders but the (fictitious) C140-45s are also required to mate with the Tomix track coming in/out of the circle - if you catch my meaning.

I cannot do the geometry without this exact curve as he states in his text elsewhere that the CAD drawings are not exact, so things might look as though they fit when they don't.

If you have some curves that are either 140s or 177 you could just lay this track on (if you have a RH140-30) to find out.

Its just that being out one mm or so can make a big difference in N-scale. This type of roundabout can be the focal point of a layout.

Thanks

Rick

CaptOblivious

Tomix part no. RH140-30 is a right-handed turnout with radius 140mm and arc length of 30º; I'm sure the straight section must be 70mm long.

Tomix doesn't have any feeder tracks in its catalog, because you can plug the Tomix feeder into nearly any piece of Tomix track :D including the 170mm radius curve.

Hope that answers your questions!

That roundabout with the Fine Track looks real nice, gonna have to check that out a bit ;)

Hi Martin,

Do you know the radius of the track he calls RH140-30; it would seem to be 140mm but its a turnout so its a bit unclear as he uses it with C177-30 curves. Also, I am not sure that the 140 refers to the length of the straight or the radius of the curve, in this turnout. The diagram looks circular but is he padding the circle with higher radius tracks to accommodate the 4 directional feeds in/out?

If you read his text, he calls the feeder tracks C140-45 but these do not exist in the Tomix catalog. The challenge with the Tomix double track is the width between the 2 tracks. I suspect he uses C177 curves to pad the circle to help make the transition to Tomix feeders but the (fictitious) C140-45s are also required to mate with the Tomix track coming in/out of the circle - if you catch my meaning.

I cannot do the geometry without this exact curve as he states in his text elsewhere that the CAD drawings are not exact, so things might look as though they fit when they don't.

If you have some curves that are either 140s or 177 you could just lay this track on (if you have a RH140-30) to find out.

Its just that being out one mm or so can make a big difference in N-scale. This type of roundabout can be the focal point of a layout.

Thanks

Rick

Martijn Meerts

I don't have access to my track at the moment, since I'm on holidays. But I can try to build part of the roundabout when I get back to see if things fit. I think I have the required track for it.

The RH140-30 is indeed a turnout with a 140 mm radius and 30 degree angle. The straight bit is 70mm. I think Tomix calls them PR140-30 though.

Martijn Meerts

Played around a bit with RailModeller, the roundabout should fit perfectly really. The combination of the 140-30 turnouts and 177-30 curved sections make a perfect circle. The "140-45" are in fact 140-60 (as I used in Railplanner), but cut to a 45 degree angle. The distance between the 2 ends is just slightly smaller than the usual distance for Tomix, but we're talking 2-3 mm.

tomix_finetrack_roundabout.gif

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks a lot CaptOblivious  & Martjin,

I used the work "feeder" wrongly, not meening the feeding of electricity but the tracks that enter/exit (or feed) the circle. That whole roundabout is great and would really be a focal point in a layout. I really appreciate your efforts Martijn!

This is one of the best forums on the internet because of guys willing to help, and to share info and experience.

I am still a bit confused that a "perfect" circle can result with tracks of 140mm and 177mm radii, but I may invest in some software or track to get better aquainted with the product. I am not skilled enough to saw track or jam them into each other. Anyway I don't have space right now to build a layout.

I am 100% happy with the look of the new Kato tram track but suspect that it will take time for new track variants to be made by Kato. I bought some Unitrack 10 years ago and got bored quickly as it was a single track oval - a bit unsuitable for trams and too small for a train. At that time the solution was to add more track and commit more space than I had! I'd have a lot of fun with the new Kato tram track and road network but anything more than the starter set oval will require a lot more space. And there are not a lot of variations in layouts right now unless you join the Unitram track to Unitrack or to Tomix track - all real space commitments unless Kato makes turnouts etc.

I have always dreamed about a tram layout with several trams running at the same time. This was before DCC so I considered a track plan that would avoid collisions. I always liked watching layouts that had that "where it it go" excitement as a train disappeared in a tunnel or took an unexpected turnout. In a small urban layout this could be achieved by trams taking a side street and rejoining the track somewhere unexpected.

I liked that roundabout for the same reason as you could have trams that never collide because they never overlap, yet it would suggest more than is there. (For example turnout switches could force the first exit so trams always turn to the left and hence no 2 trams would ever meet).

I'm in a bit of a frenzy and these Portrams and the Kato track are ticking a lot of boxes for me. I just spent about 20 hours this weekend sourcing scenery, structures, vehicles etc that are available in n-scale.

Thanks again guys!

Rick

Martijn Meerts

Well, it's not really a "perfect circle" as such, since the radius will vary throughout, but in the end you'll end up with exactly 360 degrees, and the loop closes pretty perfectly.

As for a tram layout, you could think of making a point to point layout, which would require less space than an oval. And if you're thinking of using DCC and possibly the ability to hook up the layout to the computer, you can get some really nice running on a relatively small space.

I guess if you know approximately how much space you (will) have available, the people here are more than happy to help with ideas =)

Nothing in DC, and it's starting to look like construction our Anacostia Line Street car is going to be halted indefinitely.

I'd add that I wish Kato (or Tomix but preferably Kato) would release a model of the Skoda T3 trams ... like those used in Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and soon Tuscon and Washington DC, etc ...

I'm wondering if the Unitram is going to be designed for seemingly layout integration with or without the use of the street road plate system, in that I mean, will we be able to use Unitram without an appearance of unsightly joints designed for the Kato road system being plainly visible to not. I'm sure they designed this for seamless integration with the Diotown system.

I'm wondering if the Unitram is going to be designed for seemingly layout integration with or without the use of the street road plate system, in that I mean, will we be able to use Unitram without an appearance of unsightly joints designed for the Kato road system being plainly visible to not. I'm sure they designed this for seamless integration with the Diotown system.

I understand the heights are different.  Check out Rich Kerr's posts in the Tomix and Kato Unitrack Yahoo Groups

Hobby Dreamer

Hi guys,

I found some additional info (another keener trying to optimize Untram track), but am having some translator problems.

Here is the translated text (not sure if it will show up correctly)

http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html'>http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=Internal&a=http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html

Here is the original

http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html

I'm confident Kato will produce more track variants than the 3 basic tracks Unitram types they have now, but this provides some ideas, and some dimension info..

Cheers

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is best put here or in electrical but I have been thinking about the auto-reverse units available and they seem to be ideal for tram running. But there is one question. Can one use these or is there something else around to permit a tram to run on double track where the tram auto reverses and changes track using this track configuration?

http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM/siding.png

Essentially, is there a sensor that can b e used to switch tracks?

Thanks

Rick

John P Boogerd

I am so happy to see Kato make track for trams in the street.  Now that I am about to nstart building a small layout based on Kato Diotown station area and road plates, I wonder how I could work their tram tracks into those streets.  By the way, does anybody have photos of the road plates in use on layouts?

I am so happy to see Kato make track for trams in the street.  Now that I am about to nstart building a small layout based on Kato Diotown station area and road plates, I wonder how I could work their tram tracks into those streets.  By the way, does anybody have photos of the road plates in use on layouts?

I suspect KARO will make that transition seamless with the existing road system if not, they will rework the current Diotown so it would be. Think I asked this question, up thread, and Bill Robb replied, but I've had a traumatic weekend, and my memory is at a loss for things at the moment.