Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum
nah00

Gauging interest on an idea

Posted (edited)

As you've seen in the What Did The Post Deliver thread I've had a bit of a windfall with Japanese n-scale from my local hobby shop which purchased an estate that was a lot of early 2000s Kato and Tomix sets. These sets have never been run and are complete with instructions, accessories, decals, and transfers in the case of the Tomix sets (transfers are in excellent condition, started on the Nostalgic View train and no problems thus far). There are also a number of Kato, Tomix, and Micro Ace locomotives from the mid-90s all the way up to I would say 2007-08. Not much in the way of freight but there are a few cars as well as a few individual Kato cars for the Type 0 and 700 Series Shinkansen.

What I'm trying to gauge is what interest would there be here on the board if I were to catalog this collection and provide a spreadsheet for reference as well as contact information for the shop? Since I'm not the seller I can't do much for the pricing but I can say it is fair (a lot of the Kato sets are the older ones that had 8 cars instead of the 4 or 6 you get now) and the sets (as I mentioned before) were simply collected and stored. I will also photograph the entire collection so if you want to see a picture of a specific item feel free to contact me but due to the sheer volume I won't be able to post pictures for everything. 

PM me or or post in this thread to let me know if this is something you would like to see happen, there's a lot of trains there and chances are there are more than a few people on this site are looking for. Looking to get this up and posted by early September, N Gauge Weekend is coming up here soon and my work schedule is kind of rough the rest of the month.

Any input on this idea is also welcome. 

This is also a bit of a side note but almost all of these items have a Mokei Imports sticker on them which has some sentimental value. I got into Japanese N-scale a bit late to appreciate wat he and his wife did for the hobby in the United States but a lot of us over here all probably have at least one set with that sticker on it. 

Edited by nah00
  • Like 4

That's something I forgot to mention. Since it is the United States, postage overseas is MURDER. The same size package (about the size of two Kato/Tomix boxes that cost about $25 USD to ship from Japan to the US is at least $65 to ship from the US to Japan. I don't imagine other countries are much better. The owner does ship internationally but it is going to be expensive, I can't mince words on that. 

Ahh mokei import stickers! I get such a rush of model train nostalgia when I see one. When I was younger and starting in model trains decades ago I would see is tiny model railroader ads and sent in a SASE to him to get a mimeographed price list. At the time I was doing us trains so the japanese stuff was exotic. Later when I got into model trains it was great to find him again thru lees trains who was a good buddy of his and get xeroxed xcel stock lists very reminiscent of the old typed mimeographs! He was a very interesting and nice chap.

Jeff

Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

But being in the same region as Japan... I think the shipping will most probably be a killer, which will add to the cost eventually...

That would be awesome.  Thanks nah00, but you probably took all the good ones.  :) They should give you commission for any sales through the forum.

Oh trust me I left some goodies behind since they were out of area for me or just sets that I wasn't interested in. I'll get the ball rolling on this and keep you updated when I think I'll have a list up.

• Like 2

I'd be interested in seeing a list and pricing.  Thanks!

Eric