Del Prado CC7100 conversion

medusa

Well, this time it was the other way around. I know there is a nice Hobbytrain model of the CC7100, so that's not a problem to get it.

But I also have at least one loco which I hardly use. Most of my model train stuff is Japanese, with some ICE related and the Orient Express as exception. And I have a single Minitrix BR 151 model which is in good condition (and I really like the 151, after all the years still Germany's most powerful freight loco). So I started to look around if some other shell may convert it to another more useful loco.

Because I still like my 151, the precondition was there is absolutely no modification on the Mtx chassis necessary. Looked a bit around, the CC7100 model seemed to be about the same overall shape. So I ordered a DelPrado model for a few bucks from the 'bay. BTW, it's the only French loco I really know, for it held the world speed record of 331 kph for quite a long time.

post-4432-0-17565100-1500621688_thumb.png post-4432-0-79476400-1500621708_thumb.png

Photos show "before and after" :)

As usual with DelPrado, chassis and pantos head for the dumpster. It turned out the shell itself indeed fits the Mtx chassis. Just needed to take part of the thick "glass" out and grind/carve some material from the relatively thick shell plastic.

In the end, even the front lights are in the right place so I have a CC7100 with lights when running.

Drilled holes in the 7100 shell for the Mtx pantos which are fixed by a tiny screw.

Old Mtx models have a switch on the bottom where you can choose to run the loco from life model catenary wire. Didn't test but this probably doesn't work any longer since the 7100 has the pantos in different place as the 151 has.

EDIT: I forgot to mention why a French CC7100 is more useful for me... of course as loco for the OE cars, either as for the NIOE or for a French Train Bleu.

Edited by medusa
  • Like 6