JR Train Suite E001

Kb4iuj

How many of these are they making ? I just signed up to buy one. As their pretty unique.

The Japan Railfan Magazine has a pretty fair article on it. November issue 2016. Clearly, a one of a kind, hence I wonder how many variants they'll have of it. As that Twighlight Express is in the same ball park design wise.

Wonder if their going to come out with one of those as well.

I would doubt that they will make another.  No rail company is running more than one suite style luxury train.  Or given a hint of running more than one.

The cost of building one is not cheap too, including all the fittings inside... I'm not sure if I saw another set of the Seven Stars as yet, but highly unlikely they will produce another set due to cost...

Another factor is the exclusiveness of the train ride itself... having another set may mean more trips, which in a way, may look like generating more profit for the company, but it could also mean taking away the exclusiveness that is was targeted at... I do know bookings have been full till next year March and the lack of supply drives up the demand (and price) more perhaps... 

Darklighter

The cost of building one is not cheap too, including all the fittings inside...

Construction costs for the train topped $50 million according to Japan Railway Journal.  :o

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

To cover all bases!

I very much doubt you will get another prototype - this will be a one-off, particularly in view of the build cost!

In terms of the model. I suspect it will be phenomenally popular, and would be amazed if Kato don't re-run. You may find the packaging changes for any re-release. 

Well if referring to the model. It is listed as a limited edition clearly on the Kato website and retailers I have looked at.

Then again the E653 was a limited edition also at first release. Now I've seen three re-runs since 2014.

I suspect with the higher than normal design costs. That they are just trying to get sales up on their first run.

Edited by katoftw

You guys are going to love this. I just went an canceled my order. So I freed one up.

Hence, I really mulled over this decision. 10 cars for roughly $25 a car.... But, since I'm in between layouts and I suspect my next layout will be something of the Kiha 47 variety. Well, a long train is just a recipe for disaster on tight turns. A bit like why I modded that 500 Shinkansen into just a purple only EVA. I'm sure if they looked at the labor cost of masking up those things they probably wished they just sprayed them purple and called them done as well. Hence, still in the box, too.

Now ya just have to wonder what the heck am I going to use those Brill Trucks for ? You guys up in the Northeast would be wise to buy a few sets and see if you might be able to sell them at a train show - since only Q-car sells them or did before they stop selling just the side frames in O gauge. This would be just to keep people optimistic in lieu of waiting for somebody to reintroduce those things in a larger size.

In terms of model, I doubt there will be a re-run, but EVA 500 experience also taught us that Tomix might come in to try and grab the market... then again, the Mizukaze is sitting there awaiting someone to model, so Tomix might want to go towards that direction...

Given the closer couplers of the Kato, and knowing even if Tomix did the E001, Tomix probably would not include their TN couplers neither... As a ten car special edition set, we could also expect Tomix to be pricing somewhat in the region, and hence more costs would be added to fit TN couplers to the Tomx set....

With all these considerations, I decided to grab the E001 since it will be something that I will love... The colour on the E001 is really unique and the front and rear faces looks so futuristic and fresh... The Mizukaze, well, we'll just see if it does appear and when it does, we'll prepare to rob the bank!

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2

Sorry to bump an old topic, but now that both Kato and Tomix have released their versions, I was looking for some advice.

I know that the Tomix 98307/98308 has some interesting features--preinstalled lighting, all wheel pickup, and a price to match!--but I was wondering about the new Canon-designed motor that the model is equipped with.

Tomix claim's it's smoother and quieter--any real-world impressions?

I'm leaning toward the Tomix, but the Kato is a bit less and does have prettier packaging.  Decisions, decisions.

Edited by 1954G
Misread product description