JR + Meitetsu

Kitayama

There are not many places where JR and non-JR share tracks. Toyohashi is one of the exceptions where JR Iida Line and Meitetsu Main Line share the tracks into Toyohashi station. The picture is taken from a Iida Line train arriving at Toyohashi. (The picture is awful technically, but as it shows a nice oddity...) As it exist in the real world, it can exist on any layout!

post-241-0-44341200-1499612212_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Piccy of a Meitetsu train and JR Tokai platform sign here: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Toyohashi.jpg

Now you mention it, when I finally moved to Tokyo, for various reasons I ended up flying to Nagoya with the intent to take the Shinkansen to Tokyo, but due to jetlag and unfamiliarity with the rail system in the area boarded a Meitetsu train which sort of reached the outskirts of Nagoya then went backwards in the general direction of Toyohashi, which was fine by me as it was the right direction and the scenery was surprisingly nice (much more rural than the Tokaido lines), and have vague memories of being surprised by arriving at a JR platform, but aforesaid jetlag + heavy luggage prevented me from wondering further.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Toyohashi Station is part of my annual private railway pilgrimage to the Tokai and Kansai regions from Yokohama- I take either a shinkansen or Tokaido Line train to Toyohashi, buy an inari sushi bento there (if not sold out- typically they are by 10am), and then take a Meitetsu Main Line train to Nagoya- it's much more interesting than taking JR straight in to Nagoya. Here is a video (the first 5 min.) of action at Meitetsu's platform at Toyohashi in 1988. Note the JR 169(?) series at the Iida Line platforms.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2