Back to the USA after a year

sandiway

I'm done with my one year at Kyoto University. Sent my trains back to the USA using SAL (Japan Post). Everything arrived intact. I have my Kyoto-themed train display up now. The Keihan mainline I rode to Osaka a few times a week on the left (from top to bottom: Microace A-9992; Greenmax 30191/301932; Microace A-2858).  Everything else is on the right. Everytime I walk past the foyer to the front door, I'll be reminded of my time there...

P7050006s.jpg

My layout should be up tomorrow. I went for the abstract using a tatami mat. Pictures later.

My webpage: http://elmo.sbs.arizona.edu/sandiway/ngauge/index.html

Edited by sandiway
  • Like 14

Beautiful display cases! Don't mind sharing how you made these? I would really like to use this concept too to display my trains in my new house!

I agree with JR 500, I would also love to have something to show the trains when they're not on the layout!

I bought them off amazon.com. It's designed for n gauge. You can find it as:

N Scale Train Model Trains Display Case Cabinet Wall Rack w/ 98% UV Lockable

Warning: there is a lip on every row, but non-widetrack Tomix straights fit fine.

(A Kyoto friend donated some old track to me. I only had enough for the left case.)

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing the link! It's a great idea for modifying one, as the one for sale is a little too short for the longer shinkansen trains but nevertheless great idea to use on ~~

I do have to comment on your blog; it was really great fun to read! Sounds like you have a really good friend!  :)

I prefer the wood framed cases like the one I got, but if you go acrylic, you can find longer display cases, about 48". Unfortunately, I do not see availability for a longer wood frame case. Otherwise, certainly it'd be nice to have 8 to 10 cars in a row.

Two friends in Japan helped. One with Yahoo! auctions, as some of the trains I wanted aren't available new anymore. Another one (who takes the Keihan main line every day) - to my utter surprise - snatched the (genuine) Keihan poster from a train and proudly presented it to me. (Originally, I was going to take a picture and print it out. The posters aren't available.)

Warning: there is a lip on every row, but non-widetrack Tomix straights fit fine.

Does it fit KATO Unitrack too? Or is that too wide? If I recall correctly TOMIX is slightly narrower (ballast) than Unitrack.

Does it fit KATO Unitrack too? Or is that too wide? If I recall correctly TOMIX is slightly narrower (ballast) than Unitrack.

Good question. It might be too wide. Unfortunately, I have no Unitrack to try - otherwise I'd let you know.

Good question. It might be too wide. Unfortunately, I have no Unitrack to try - otherwise I'd let you know.

Can you then tell us then how snug the TOMIX Finetrack fit is? If it is a snug fit, it definitely won't fit. But if there is some wiggle room, it is more likely to fit. Otherwise, a picture might be good too.

Edited by Yavianice

Very nice display cases, and I love the print! Needs more Randen in the right case, though. ;-)

• Like 1

It's hard to measure exactly. The back is made of some kind of slightly spongy fabric. And since it's made of wood, there are tiny variations in width from row to row. Having said that I'd guess there is room for maybe 1mm more, so I guess no go for Unitrack. Here are a couple of closeup pics that should help.

P7050001s.jpg

P7050002s.jpg

• Like 2

Having said that I'd guess there is room for maybe 1mm more, so I guess no go for Unitrack.

Bleh. Too bad. But the cases look so good and the price is so reasonable I guess I can buy some cheap European tracks that are narrow enough for it.

Thanks for the pictures!

Edited by Yavianice
Wonderbolt

Its far from cheap but I guess the Fleischman Profi itrack should fit, which is pre ballasted. Might be available cheaper second hand?

Edited by Wonderbolt
Darklighter

Its far from cheap but I guess the Fleischman Profit track should fit

Was that a Freudian slip?  :icon_biggrin:
  • Like 2