JR East announces KiHa 130-500 series and GV-E400 series

Well, at least the GV-E400's are getting a workout in the exact environment they will run in: heavy snows in winter in the Niigata and Akita regions. By the way, I read that the first JR Hokkaido H100 is nearly complete at KHI's Hyogo assembly plant and could be sent north to Hokkaido probably mid-February 2018.

Here's a video of the prototype GV-E400 trainsets doing short test runs at the train yard near Niitsu Station:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the videos of the JR Hokkaido H100 DECMO trainsets being shipped out:

From YouTube member 4011tama1, the units being pulled out of the KHI Hyogo factory by DE10 1561:

From YouTube member Masaharu Aono, the trainsets being shipped out of the Osaka area:

• Like 1

Here is a video of the H100 doing test runs in the Sapporo area. 

Edited by Yavianice
Youtube links fixed
  • Like 2

I wonder has JR East announced when will they start getting production-standard GV-E400's? My guess is that the first route for the new train sets will be the NIigata to Aizu-Wakamatsu route.

• Densha changed the title to JR East announces KiHa 130-500 series and GV-E400 series

The GV-E400 series will start doing regular services from 19 August 2019. At first instance, it will be just a couple of round trips per day on the Banetsu West Line and Uetsu Main Line. With the mass production starting up soon, the GV-E400 fleet will expand gradually until all trains of the KiHa 40 series on the Shinetsu Main Line, Uetsu Main Line and Banetsu West Line will have been replaced by the end of this year.

I think JR East may eventually run the GV-E400 from Niigata all the way to Aizu-Wakamatsu, essentially replacing even the KiHa 110 on this route.

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Ah, another good use of a Yo8000 on a "modern" layout!

Thanks for the video!

Glad it's of some value 🙂

When I posted the video, I was wondering how old the Yo8000s are.  Forty to 45 years as it turns out, and they built 1170 of them!

It'll be interesting to see what JR East will do with the KiHa 110's that were running between Niigata and Aizu-Wakamatsu. Will they be assigned to other lines up in northern Tohoku?

4 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

It'll be interesting to see what JR East will do with the KiHa 110's that were running between Niigata and Aizu-Wakamatsu. Will they be assigned to other lines up in northern Tohoku?

Without any doubt they will be cascaded to replace JNR-era DMUs (KiHa 40s and the like).

A video by YouTube member 4011tama1 shows six JR Hokkaido H100 units shipped out from the KHI Hyogo assembly plant a few days ago:

• Like 1