Following on from my Niihama layout and although not N gauge, Japanese or even trains, my new diorama "Project Z" begins:

post-265-0-03219000-1498912581_thumb.png

For reference, plan area is approximately 10 feet by 6 feet.

Baseboards built and erected then covered with cork sheet. General landscaping next.

:)

• Like 2

Wow that's going to be a real Z scale empire!

How are you going to get access to the back corner? Does the whole table slide out easily? Only asked as I've had to deal with that a lot with large exhibit models at larger scales in the past and I have long arms!

Can't wait to see it, this looks to be of the largest z layouts I've seen lately!

Fun, fun, fun!

Jeff

Don't worry, I very nearly posted the same thing.

Whatever it is presumably won't require detailed scenic work at the rear corner of a 6ft deep baseboard, I guess.

Minimal contouring completed and a flock based scenic covering added to represent mid to southern England and in particular a "large flat but almost bowl-shaped plateau with good meteorological conditions, free from surrounding obstacles, with soil strength sufficient to provide a firm and stable surface under wet weather conditions, and with a strong smooth turf surface to act as a binding and wearing carpet..."

post-265-0-02127900-1499881168_thumb.png

Constructions crews now being mobilised to move in to start the next stage of development...

• Like 1

As next year is the centenary of the founding of the Royal Air Force, Project Z is going to be a representation of an airfield that will, over the next two years, develop from a pre-war "grass" field through WW2 active service into a post war concrete runway.

First hanger constructed:

post-265-0-57688500-1500915284_thumb.png

• Like 5

A slight hiccup in progress with Project Z due to some bad weather somehow getting into the room causing a damp problem with the grass covering by making it ruckle (the airfield diorama is housed in a cabin out in the country). Fortunately it is mainly only in areas earmarked for where the "grass" will need to be removed anyway to add some upcoming wartime construction...

So to make up for not having any update images, here is a WW2 aircraft I photographed recently overflying our local airfield.

DSC00416.JPG

• Like 2

Been somewhat remiss in posting on this thread so here are some updates:

I decided to scrap the large hanger as being too dominating and not giving the feel of a grass strip developing into a fighter base. Instead I have gone for blister hangers and Nissen huts as typical prefabricated buildings of the time.

This series of pictures show some of the small scenes that I am creating, the aircraft being shown are currently a mix of different marks that would not have been contemporary as once the basic airfield is in place I can then dress it with the specific types to reflect different stages in the Battle of Britain.

IMG_20171120_121255.jpg

IMG_20171126_133339.jpg

• Like 2

Currently working on some aircraft from the Luftwaffe so as to create an airfield attack scene in the future...

IMG_20171127_094048.jpg

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 2

Brings back fond memories of child hood of a lot of 1/72 WWII models made! Just the right size for details easily, didn't take up much room and usually under $2 for a model. Sweet spot! 

Jeff