Turbo trains coming from rapido

cteno4

If I didn't already own the HO version Rapido did several years ago I might consider this. Ouch is right on the price, you could buy two 16 car shinkansen for the price of one 9 car Canadian Turbo. I will pass on these, unless my numbers come up in the lottery . ;)

I'm not really into American trains but I really like these U-Boot Klasse XXI TurboTrains! Would be something nice to get, especially the late Amtrak version.

• Like 3

While I've been looking forward to this release for a while, the asking price is pretty disappointing. It's almost the cost of the HO version! I was also hoping that the add on cars would be offered for more than just the Canadian versions, I wanted to make a nine car USDOT train. If I can pull enough overtime, I'll probably still get one though.

Edit: I take it back, The DC only price in N is higher than the price for DCC/sound in HO!  Oh my!

Edited by Kiha66

I remember those trains going by my first apartment.  It was kind of sad when they were gone.

Add-on cars are not offered for the US trains because only the Canadian trains were longer than 5 cars or 3 cars.

9 cars per trainset(Canada - CN/VIA)
7 cars per trainset (Canada - CN)
5 cars per trainset (US - Amtrak)
3 cars per trainset (US - New Haven/DOT)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain

maihama eki

This prompted me to retrieve my childhood Bachmann Turbo Train from that dark place in the basement.

The Turbo Train did a marketing tour around the U.S. when I was a kid, and it came through my little hometown in Montana.  I was immediately in awe of it.

I saved up my pennies until I had enough money and ordered this through the mail.  It seemed like it took forever to come.

It has not run for almost 40 years.  I put it on my test track tonight and with a little push it took off - motor and gears squealing like nails on a chalkboard - but it still runs!

post-550-0-37096800-1498627607_thumb.jpg

post-550-0-63036700-1498627624_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This is the same construction as the senator (db vt10.5) from maerklin (built from h0 to z). Even the price range is similar... :(

I remember those trains going by my first apartment.  It was kind of sad when they were gone.

Add-on cars are not offered for the US trains because only the Canadian trains were longer than 5 cars or 3 cars.

9 cars per trainset(Canada - CN/VIA)

7 cars per trainset (Canada - CN)

5 cars per trainset (US - Amtrak)

3 cars per trainset (US - New Haven/DOT)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain

True, but the HO version had them available for fairly cheaply for each scheme, so I was hoping to get the same in N, even if it wasnt prototypical.

I'm tempted to get the set that toured the west in the 70's as it put in some miles on the Santa Fe.

Rapido are more expensive than some others but they make some rather niche models that other manufacturers wouldn't touch. I have a GMD1 and my brother has an FL9 and both are great models. If you want cheap trains these days you really have to stick with Kato and Tomix Japanese models.

Yep can't have a quality niche train for cheap! Expecting too much. Wonder how popular it's going to be here in the states.

Jeff

I noticed they pushed the pre-order date back by two months, glad to see there is progress being made.  The body looks really good, but the interior lights look awful.  Hopefully they'll defuse them so the glow is even throughout the car.  I think I'll still wait on the preorder till we get more pictures.

serotta1972

A pre-production look at the Turbo Train.  The owner is pretty funny owning up to the not so great first production of the HO version.

• Thanks 1

That looks pretty nice, I slightly regretting not ordering one.  Sadly Feather river trains seems to have already closed preorders.

Sorry if it is posted somewhere else, but did anyone get one of these?  Would love to hear your thoughts on the train if you did.

Thanks,

Eric

I got one of them, but was not satisfied and sold it again. While the model looks great, I did not like how the model operated, because the bogie is an independent part of the car. That means, with two motorcars, the bogies would inevitably be "misaligned" and run diagonally to the track. In curves this would bend the modeled "suspension" rods between the two cars. 

I was disappointed they didn't use the tried and tested method of appending a bogie to one of the cars, like Minitrix/Arnold/Piko do on their models where cars share a bogie.

I got one (with a mechanical defect, so at a discount that required repair).  Its a very pretty train and it usually runs quite well.  It does have all wheel pickup, so you have to be careful if there is a derailment to avoid shorts and damaging the train.  I've had a slight issue with the decoders behaving weirdly after sitting for a few months, at which point I have to reset them and reprogram them.  I was also slightly disapointed that the gaps between cars is quite large, which is noticeable in the CN or Amtrak versions due to the paint scheme.  I haven't had the issue Yavanice reported, I suspect his may have had damaged springs in the bogies between cars.

I would certainly recommend this model if you want a turbotrain or especially if you can find it for a decent discount. 

Thanks for the quick feedback.  Sorry to hear about the trouble you each had.  Agreed, it looks like a really nice looking train, but I didn't have what they were asking for it.  Not saying it wasn't worth it.  I work in design and manufacturing so I understand what small production can cost.  Will keep my eyes open for a used set for sure.

Thanks again, 

Eric

Yep, I felt the same way.  Its a great train if you can get it for $300 or less.  I think the dual motor car and sound decoders really raises the price unfortunately.