Retired E4 driving car transported by road to museum

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

NIIGATA--An army of rail fans from Niigata and beyond gathered here at night on June 20 to witness the rare sight of a Shinkansen train car's last journey--on the road.

The double-decker front car of an E-4 series bullet train, which is 25.7 meters long and 3.4 meters wide, was on its way to the city's Niitsu Railway Museum, where it will start its second career as an exhibit next month.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201706210030.html

• Like 4

Tomytec truck collection had the trucks and wheelsets for this scene!

Amazing how nice the car looks at being retired! Wonder if it was spiffed up before shipping instead of at the museum

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Which E4 set was it?

It's from set P1.

I like that they're actually preserving the first one this time. I always find it strange when first and last units are being scrapped while some random cars are kept for preservation. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

I always find it strange when first and last units are being scrapped while some random cars are kept for preservation.

Imho often it's the condition or the availibility. It makes sense to keep the unit least likely to fall apart in the long term. Also often preservation is an aftertought and the last unit not yet scrapped is kept or they choose the best condition/least modded one from the remaining pool. In this regard a unit best representing its class is the best choice. (first units are often non standard prototypes and last manufactured units could be significantly upgraded from the main batch)