Mitaki?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members
  • LocationWaterfall, NSW, Australia

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

For the last couple of days I've been stuck at home, confined to bed with the shakes, raging fever and general crappiness that comes with having the flu. So about the only thing I've been able to do is think about things. One of those things is building layouts.

A while back I started a thread about building a simple display/exhibition layout based on Hokoku on the Hakubi line:

http://www.jnsforum....in-180th-scale/

I've finished the basic structure and supports, and installed the subroadbed, ballast strips and point motors. And that's as far as I've progressed, because the more I think about it, the more I think I don't want to build 9 feet by 2 feet of steep-sided mountain and try to cover it with dense forest. Apart from the task of making a large number of realistic trees, or at least ones that satisfy me, I'm not happy with the overall composition and/or visual balance that I've so far achieved. The only composition I liked was a long way removed from the actual arrangements there.

So my thoughts keep coming back to Mitaki, a small station on the Kabe line in suburban Hiroshima.

gallery_22_66_818735.jpg

It's an interesting little station with good scenic potential. I'd rather build structures than trees, anyway.

I've played around with track and simple structure mock-ups on the Hokoku base, and I think I can get a much better looking composition of the various elements without losing too much of the prototypes features. I know I'm probably not in the right state of mind to be making these sorts of decisions, but I'd be interested in people's opinions.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton, 18 June 2017 - 04:09 AM.

• dmustu, keiichi77 and kvp like this
Modelling late Showa-era JNR in 1/80th scale.

And the ringing in my ears from playing too loud,
I hear the ocean, I hear the crowd.

#2 velotrain

velotrain
  • Members
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:36 AM

http://www.jnsforum....in-180th-scale/

I'm glad the link explains this - I thought maybe you'd really gone off the dark end . . . .

Edit:  Referring to the link for the earlier post saying it's "in 180th scale".  I momentarily forgot your modeling preferences and the possibility of the forum software deleting relevant punctuation, thinking perhaps you were creating a new scale between N and Z.

BTW - the gallery link isn't working for me.

Edited by velotrain, 18 June 2017 - 11:12 PM.

Charles

#3 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

LOL, Charles. I might be feverish, but I'm not quite that crazy.

Yet.

Although the idea of painting the backscene in the style of a "shin hanga" print did cross my mind. Something like this, maybe?

https://www.artelino...ems/69104g1.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by cteno4, 19 June 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#4 bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn
  • Members
  • LocationEzo

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

Interestingly, on checking the background of Mitaki Station, it turns out the current location is not the original one- Mitaki Station was once on the other side of the river, but the Kabe Line was rerouted in 1962 as part of the Ota River drainage route construction.  However, the layout was the same as the current configuration (a single island platform), though of course with a station headhouse.  Another interesting thing is apparently a steam service was run between Furuichi Station and Yokokawa, typically a single coach with a combo brake/parcels wagon hauled by a C11, to handle the local express package business ("chiki") generated in this area.

• marknewton likes this
“Rail was born in the 19th century, but it will survive in the 20th and dominate in the 21st”.
-Louis Armand, French engineer and decorated WW2 resistance leader

#5 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:49 PM

bb, that's very interesting. I knew that the old line's alignment had changed, but I didn't know about the original station being on the other side of the river. Apparently that station was known as "Oshibakoenguchi" until the line was nationalised in 1936.

The use of a C11 on parcels traffic is a useful bit of information too. Explains a photo I found in one of my books.

Thanks, and all the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton, 20 June 2017 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users