DD200 announced

Davo Dentetsu

Very interesting, glad they kept the paint scheme along with the general shape of the locomotive.  The rail mounted headlights are different, but the whole design looks very maintenance friendly.  I'm not normally one for modern design, but I'll be getting a model once kato or tomix puts one out.  

• Like 1

Also, I'd like to see the passenger JRs pick up a few of these for a bit of livery and, maybe, spec variation.  Are their DE10/11/15s really not totally necessary?

Das Steinkopf

Nice to see that they have finally decided on a suitable design to replace the DE10's, I was curious as to what they were going to use as the HD300's are great for use as a heavy shunter but are ill suited to be used as a branchline locomotive, I did notice that their use has become more widespread as I saw them in service in Hiroshima and Okayama when I was there in April. It's good to see them invest in locomotive that can be used for branchline and trip freight services rather than focusing purely on mainline freight locomotives like what is happening in a lot of other countries. Also of note is the new logo of the small JR Freight which is inline with the other JR companies instead of the big JRF emblazoned on the side, mind you I will miss that as I have heard that the JRF logo is being phased just like it has been on new build Koki 107's.

No hybrid, but at least diesel electric traction over the hydraulic DE10. If there is a need for a hybrid, just slap in an alternator and batteries and there ya go. xD I like the little bulge in the long bonnet.

Well, I was expecting a more environmental-friendly type of traction since in recent years JR experimented a lot with alternative energy sources and energy saving. After hybrid and battery experiments, recent orders for new multiple units for unelectrified lines are also of the traditional DMU kind again. This was also the case with the hybrid HD300, with them now ordering a series sort-of based off the experimental loco without the environmental-friendly stuff.  It seems like things aren't progressing as much as they would've liked, or diesel is still cheaper than the alternatives.

Diesel electric over hydraulic is obviously a given at this point.

I will miss the articulated bogie! It nearly looks like the rear bogie could be 3-axle, but everyone says it's a Bo-Bo.

Compared to the HD300 hybrids, the weight was reduced by more than a ton (this could be used for larger fuel tanks), the motor power was upgraded by 100 kW and while keeping the AC traction motors, the new bogies are not coil spring but look to be air suspended. The DD200 looks more like a road switcher variant of the HD300, so the battery storage components were removed to make space for a larger engine as this locomotive looks to be geared for long distance freight trains and reserve duty. (during continous running, the batteries are dead weight as there are no frequent station stops or shunting and reserve locomotives would have a problem with battery self discharge during longer offline times) For the looks, it looks like they boarded up the cab's bottom and rounded it out along with the handrails. This would probably give a better platform clearence for running through passenger stations and an overall smoother look.

Das Steinkopf

Well, I was expecting a more environmental-friendly type of traction since in recent years JR experimented a lot with alternative energy sources and energy saving. After hybrid and battery experiments, recent orders for new multiple units for unelectrified lines are also of the traditional DMU kind again. This was also the case with the hybrid HD300, with them now ordering a series sort-of based off the experimental loco without the environmental-friendly stuff.  It seems like things aren't progressing as much as they would've liked, or diesel is still cheaper than the alternatives.

Diesel electric over hydraulic is obviously a given at this point.

The HD300's are still in series production at a low rate and I think will be tasked with shunting duties only given their top speed is only 45km/h but they can be towed at 110km/h when being deployed to other depots. The main benefit with the HD300 is their low emissions which helps when working in yards near populated areas, especially when you consider the exhaust fumes generated by diesel locomotives from frequent acceleration and deceleration when employed on shunting duties. I suspect that cost as well as overall versatility is the reason why the DD200's are being introduced as the HD300's would more than likely cost more to build compared to a standard diesel electric locomotive, not too mention higher operating speed, tractive effort and range would all come into play with the desicion.

• Like 2

Finally a locomotive with handrails all along the walkways, I always wondered how Japanese diesels got away with that. I wonder if this means the design is geared for possible export as well. 

I do miss the big 'JRF' though. The little 'JR' just looks too plain. 

Edited by nah00

It seems like things aren't progressing as much as they would've liked, or diesel is still cheaper than the alternatives.

It's 100% this. The maintenance costs for a diesel engine are MUCH less than that of a hybrid, mainly because you cut out quite a bit of the electronics that have to run a hybrid engine. Also a diesel is still more reliable than a hybrid which is still a maturing technology whereas diesel is at the point of being refined for maximum efficiency.

How do you figure? It's a diesel locomotive with four driving axles and AC motors, which seems to me to fit the numbering convention exactly.

Yeah, I was reading something about the DE10/DD51 hydraulic transmissions, but I thought it was about this, so I was trying to figure out why they chose 200 for it. Later I noticed that this is diesel-electric.

• Like 1

Yay! Just when I thought the end was in sight for JRF to have interesting locos, given the increasingly rapid demise of the older JNR types and the run down of low volume locos like EF200's, along comes this rabbit out of the hat just in time. May even replace the DD51 in my affections... :love4:

Having spent a few years working on hybrid propulsion, I could never see how JR could go beyond a few shunters in big yards and a small number of Hybrid EMUs where full electrification of a route could not be justified. Also the technology itself is still rapidly changing so that even today's full electric and hybrid cars just coming into production are already out of date as far as new battery chemistry development is concerned with even greater energy densities (as KWh vs weight) emerging.

• Like 1