Hachikō Line between Hachiōji and Takasaki is a line with two totally different faces. The southern part is a commuter line with frequent EMU service Hachiōji - Komagawa - Kawagoe.

The northern part is a rural line with single and pair DMUs.

W170406-005.JPG

Komagawa, 205-3000 series

W170406-006.JPG

Komagawa, 205-9000 series

W170406-009.JPG

Komagawa, KiHa 110

W170406-013.JPG

Kodama, KiHa 112

All pictures: April 6, 2017

Edited by Kitayama
  • Like 9

This line is so close by and I've never been on it. Maybe a nice destination when life settles down a bit.

I like the Hachiko line... because its terminal is Hachioji haha ~ Something about Hachioji always amazes me... I really gotta see Hachioji station the next time I go japan, and ride the Hachiko line!  :)

This line is so close by and I've never been on it. Maybe a nice destination when life settles down a bit.

Do it! It feels much more rural from all the suburban lines to and from Tokyo in the area. I still feel stupid for not knowing the northern part was unelectrified and thus not being able to get to see the KiHa 110s. There's also plenty of chances to see Tobu trains along the northern part. ;)

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

There's also plenty of chances to see Tobu trains along the northern part. ;)

The Tōjō line doesn't interest me too much, but I guess they still have some 4-car 8000 Series running there! :P

I like the Hachiko line... because its terminal is Hachioji haha ~ Something about Hachioji always amazes me... I really gotta see Hachioji station the next time I go japan, and ride the Hachiko line!  :)

And then the Sagami line and the Yokohama line. Then you get off at Machida or Ebina/Atsugi and we'll have a beer.

• Like 1

For those interested, here are two zenmen tenbou videos of traveling on the JR East Hachikō Line:

Hachiōji to Komagawa (though the train continues to Kawagoe on the Kawagoe Line), on a 205-3000 Series EMU from YouTube member 9876tatsu:

Komagawa to Takasaki on a KiHa 110 Series DMU from YouTube member Japan Train Viewing:

• Like 2

Hang on, those 110s aren't they the same numbers as the recent Kato release? 

Edited by Rod.H