MicroAce - New Releases

disturbman

Two new versions of the C54 pacific. These are C54 12 and 17 one with cab visors and the other with a snow plough. C54 3 and 9 were released in 2002 by Micro Ace. One of MA's better attempt at a steam loco fairly close to 1/150.

Not a very successful class and all were withdrawn by 1963.

No mention of new motor for the new versions.

I see on Hobby search it mentions new power improvements for the E10, C54's and C10, so hopefully it means new motor,etc

It seems even within the JNS there is sufficient demand for the Skyliner alone, let alone the demand from hobbyists in Japan. I'm no expert of economics but surely shifting units is a way to make money, not turn people away with high prices, or is there enough people willing to pay that sort of price? It's no EVA shinkansen or special train, sorry MicroAce I don't understand. I would've thought selling units at half that price in line with what Kato/Tomix charge for an 8 car commuter set, would get them moving off the shelves and turn in a better return on investment

I think, especially for the Skyliner, there are people willing to pay the price. Heck, even if it was just a different formation number and not a variation, I bet people would pay. The Tobu 350 Series isn't going to be cheap as well (although I know my places where I can get it much cheaper), but I'm still willing to pay the price they're asking.

I think, even though it's not a super special train for some of us, it will be for others. Good examples are your daily commuter trains (e.g. the Eidan 8000) that sell like hot cakes and go for high prices on the 2nd hand market as well.

For this release schedule, I think MicroAce has put some sense into itself again (maybe a bit biased though). Even the Tōbu 8000 Noda line release seems legitimate, as the Tomytec version has turned out to be quite disappointing.

Either MicroAce have decided to commit business suicide, or they've calculated that the elasticity of demand for their product is such that they can make more profit on lower unit sales at a higher price.

• Like 1

Amazing releases by MA and amazing prices too. Haha. The tobu 8000 looks really tempting for me. But too bad price is around 29k JPY. Even if some suppliers here can offer lower price say 5k JPY less, price is still too much for me. 24k JPY for a 6 car commuter train? Their east I was defeated. :)

• Like 1

All their other products are selling for 50% more than 2014 prices. So why would this be any different? I think people are just disappointed as it is on of they few MA models that appeal to a broader range. But being 8 cars means you'll pay big coin.

Das Steinkopf

I'm so glad that all the passenger trains I use are 4 cars or shorter, I just hope that if the Keihan 800 Series is released in the new livery that it doesn't climb above ¥16,000.

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

I'm so glad that all the passenger trains I use are 4 cars or shorter, I just hope that if the Keihan 800 Series is released in the new livery that it doesn't climb above ¥16,000.

did you see the photo I posted (well I guess it was changed to a link) to the KER Otsu thread of the custom one someone in Japan has painted?

Das Steinkopf

did you see the photo I posted (well I guess it was changed to a link) to the KER Otsu thread of the custom one someone in Japan has painted?

I did indeed see it and was quite impressed.

serotta1972

Sorry, not a new release but rather a re-stock at HS.  Who designed this train, I'm curious as to what the inspiration was for this very interesting front design.  I'm not one to bash train designs and didn't want to add to the ugliest trains thread, but oh man oh man - this train is cartoonish!  I like everything else about it except for them kissers. :)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10065345/20/3

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1

Maybe it's supposed to look like a grouper or another fish....? Wait...it's a talking train and the lips actually move on the real one...?

Yes they do move on the real one! I knoodled for a long time to try to figure out a way to do this on the model!, but nothing easy so way back burner. It gets good laughs at shows!

Jeff

Sorry, not a new release but rather a re-stock at HS.  Who designed this train, I'm curious as to what the inspiration was for this very interesting front design.  I'm not one to bash train designs and didn't want to add to the ugliest trains thread, but oh man oh man - this train is cartoonish!  I like everything else about it except for them kissers. :)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10065345/20/3

Good old fish lips!  

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/2569-old-fish-lips/?hl=%2Bfish+%2Blips

Have a cigar!

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6

"You might actually see MA do some smaller engines in the future.

They had a display at a show a while back and they had a poster with some tank engines but never confirmed they were making them."

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Krackel Hopper

As much as I love the DD-51 I can't really justify those prices for the test color versions...

How is it MicroAce is offering up these new steam locomotives (D52s, C10, etc) at 14,000Y and turn around and post these DD51s at 14,900Y  ?

No way it costs more to produce a diesel over a steam locomotive..

I know a lot of people like to complain about the increase in MicroAce pricing. However, MicroAce pricing is still better than most North American or European N-scale manufacturers.  Before people start saying "It's different markets!"  I know, I know.. I'm just pointing out that their pricing (while expensive for Japan) is still about on par with Greenmax locally and other manufacturers globally.  

That said, I am very curious why the DD51 is 900Y more than their new steam locomotives

• Like 2

That's the same way I feel. Unless these ones have some unheard of level of detail or use a lot of etched parts the price is kind of out there. And true, they are still less expensive even a basic N scale diesel locomotive from Intermountain. 

while I do understand that MA is still much cheaper as compared with the European and English market trains, they are still costly as compared with their fellow producers Kato, Tomix and sometimes Greenmax...

Example, a similar 8-car Keisei Skyliner by MA is going for 36,300 yen, that uses most probably an old mould from their older skyliner release, with maybe a few additional or new features added...

Meanwhile, a similar 8-car 103 series Osaka Power Loop train by Greenmax is going for 29,100yen, that uses most probably an older mould from their previous 103 series releases, but require additional painting jobs and licenses from JR West to produce.  

The recently released news about that Keio 7000 series with its cost being heavily inflated.... I mean, look at the 8-car going for 35,200 yen and that 2-car basic add-on set without motor going for as much as 10,900yen... With 10,900 yen, we could get a similar 2-car set with motor or even a 3-car set from Kato or Tomix...

Unless MA releases something that I really want, I don't think I will go anywhere near them due to their prices... That 8000 series is very tempting though....

• Like 1