Query on container loading

Rod.H

Now some of these are obviously a Koki that came with containers included, but the ones that didn't are they correct.
post-4306-0-05508900-1496156231_thumb.jpg

And yes I've left over containers, I'm expecting more Koki's this time 104s.

Das Steinkopf

The UC7 containers on the Kokifu 1000 are incorrect and you should be using the C series like you have fitted on the Koki 50000's with the black (TR203) bogies, the Koki 50000's were modified later on in their careers and were fitted with TR223F bogies in 1994 and TR223G in 2001 which are the grey ones, the Koki 50000's can carry a range of 12' and 20' containers, however some containers do carry warnings that they are not to be carried on Koki 50000's, the warning is normally a white band with blue writing on it.

Of note the Kokifu 1000's were withdrawn from service in 1985 and the Koki 50000's with black (TR203) bogies are more appropriate for JNR era than what they are for JRF, the Koki 50000's with the grey bogies are still in service though in diminishing numbers and will probably be all withdrawn by the end of next year.

Check out Sumida Crossing as it is great as an initial source for information on rolling stock and containers, once you have done that you can move onto other places such as JA Wikipedia and a variety of other sources for information, I have also got a number of threads in the forums that have links to sites that have a lot of photos of contemporary stock that you can use for reference.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Prototype/JRFreight/FreightCars/

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Prototype/JRFreight/FreightContainers/

Edited by cteno4
Fixed link

If your koki 50000s are tomix and you wish to convert then to early jnr black bogies. I have plenty spare from converting all mine to grey.

The Koki50000s with grey bogies & 19Ds are Kato, I think. The one with 30Ds is Tomix, but it's the one with tail lights. the Koki107s & the Kokifu are Tomix. The only reason I got the Kokifu1000 was that I couldn't find a Kokifu50000 & thought close enough. 

The Koki 50000 above the Kokifu1000 also has the wrong containers on it. If you switch them with the Koki 100-series above the 50000 you'll be fine. The little black diamond with the yellow triangle on it means 'not to be loaded on Koki 50000' (that's what the yellow kanji above it says). There are similar restriction markings on the blue Seino containers and on the Super Green Shuttle Liner ones. While nothing is stopping you from putting them on whatever Koki you want prototypically they'd only be on 100-series Kokis. 

If I'm not mistaken a small number of Kokifu were retained to be used as cabooses but didn't carry containers and had the windows covered over. The cab on the back was actually somewhat of a hazard and it wasn't unusual to see Kokifus 'backwards' with the cab toward the front of the train for safety reasons. They've also all since been removed from service for some time but were still around in the 80s (I believe, it's been a while since I read the Koki article on JA Wikipedia). 

Edited by nah00
  • Like 1

Right, more Koki's have arrived & now I'm seeing why there's disparaging of Kato's new 104s - the missing stirrup step. Either way some containers got shuffled!

post-4306-0-69517500-1497579617_thumb.jpg

Though for some reason, I'm thinking the 20Bs have a warning saying: not for use on Koki100s.

• Like 1

It's actually the opposite, they are designed only for use on the Koki 100 series and not on 50000s. To be fair I do like the color on the Kato 104s more than Tomix's shade of blue but the missing step is a big annoyance especially when I could swear they said they were doing new tooling on the 104. 

Just don't ever get interested in ISO tank containers, it's bad when the containers on 2 cars cost more than the locomotive pulling them....

Beware, just one turns into four and then it gets worse from there...though the Kato ones were/are a pretty good bargain, wish they'd get a rerelease (or I need to start scouring Yahoo Japan Auctions but I'm really trrying to resist that....). 

Which container can / cannot go with which KoKi has always concerned me. Given the Japanese engineering strength in standardisation of technology, I struggle with how JRF has managed to end up with so many different types of basically the same wagon and a growing multiplicity of container types... :dontknow: 

Das Steinkopf

Beware, just one turns into four and then it gets worse from there...though the Kato ones were/are a pretty good bargain, wish they'd get a rerelease (or I need to start scouring Yahoo Japan Auctions but I'm really trrying to resist that....).

Hopefully Tomix will bring out a newer Koki 200 to replace 2759 given they will be releasing 20' ISO Tank Containers this year in the Truck Collection as well as in a container pack, mind you they can also be carried by Koki 106's and Koki 107's as well.

Tomix is releasing ISO containers in a pack? Hopefully they do MCLC ones, I have enough JOT and NRS ones. I figure they'll look about the same detail-wise as the Kato ones. Hopefully they stick to frame type ones, having to cut off clips on Kokis for beam containers to sit right is annoying. 

Which container can / cannot go with which KoKi has always concerned me. Given the Japanese engineering strength in standardisation of technology, I struggle with how JRF has managed to end up with so many different types of basically the same wagon and a growing multiplicity of container types...  :dontknow:

I think this is more of a cost saving measure than anything else. They made a lot of Koki-50000s and there was only so much modification they could do (namely new trucks) but the cost and timescale of replacing Koki-50000s on a 1-to-1 basis means that just now JRF is getting to the point where they are disposing of their Koki-50000s (partly due to decreased need due to less freight to ship, partly due to replacement by 100 and 200 series Kokis, and partly due to age) in favor of the newer Kokis. I think the multiplicity of container types has more to do with 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', no reason to replace containers unless they're falling apart (and I've seen some pretty bad containers on some of the trains I've watched). Long story short: it's all about $$$. 

Edited by nah00