Facebook & Twitter login method support stopped Read more... ×
mrp

Tomix New Operation Control System (TNOS)

Yavianice
On 7/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, kvp said:

So pretty much no programming API. That's something i don't really like. It would be very easy to provide a proper way to write programs (custom layouts) for the system. With this limitation, it's only possible to modify the existing trackplans, but no way to set up a custom one. Imho as long as Tomix doesn't open up the programming API, many people who could really use it won't buy it. The possibility is there as it only needs a firmware update to allow custom track layouts to be added to the SD card.

The parts are a different question, i do plan to get the new signals and i have a few sensors, but i'll just use something more open source, like a cheap arduino to wire them up.

Maybe Tomix didn’t bother making an API if they aren’t sure TNOS will be a success. When more people buy it, I’m sure demand for more custom layouts will increase, and maybe they will make one.

Im looking forward what the response of KATO will be. Will they make something equivalent, like how they now adopted PWM controllers, and a Bluetooth controller? Who knows. To me this is the most exciting, to be honest

katoftw

I'd be doubtful if Kato do something any time soon in regards to automation.  They never had any equivalent product similar to the previous Tomix automation systems.  And Tomix have had wireless controllers and PWN controllers for 10 plus years now.  So if their is a response from Kato, don't expect it any time near.

kvp
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, katoftw said:

I'd be doubtful if Kato do something any time soon in regards to automation.  They never had any equivalent product similar to the previous Tomix automation systems.  And Tomix have had wireless controllers and PWN controllers for 10 plus years now.  So if their is a response from Kato, don't expect it any time near.

I actually expect more DCC compatible products from Kato. They are much better at it and DCC allows all automation and even more that Tomix is doing by using 3rd party parts and free software at a slightly higher price and more complexity. Those accessories are not available from one single vendor, but considering Kato doesn't even make a 3 way turnout or a double slip, i won't be surprised if Kato doesn't try to copy everything Tomix does. They usually try something totally different and try to be good at that.

Edited by kvp