Tomix New Operation Control System (TNOS)

kvp, am I right that the points and feeder modules are the small black blocks that look like they slide into the open holes on the front edge of the black I/O box? I wonder if it is possible to have 8 feeder and 0 point modules (or some other combination) instead of 4 and 4 in each box. It also appears from the latest, 13-minute video (with the wildly-uniformed operator) that they have 2 sensors per feeder block in that layout, doing the slowing and absolute stop functions, similar to the older 5563 Automatic Operation Unit.

It's unclear to me how the "programming" is done. Is it really by entering instructions into the system from its keypad or otherwise, or simply in how the cabling is arranged? I don't see how the station stops shown in this video, made when the block ahead is clear, could be programmed just by cable arrangement.

In theory you can have any combination of block or turnout drivers in any i/o box. Programming is done by entering command sequences or loading them from an sd card. Pretty much the same way one would program a Lego control brick or an Arduino. Imho the unit probably comes with a few preloaded programs with preset wiring diagrams on the SD card in the package. Edited by kvp

I was originally planning to go DCC, but got hopelessly addicted to cheap 2nd hand Japanese (and other) trains, and my ambitions at this point extend to having 2 or 3 running round in (physically separate) circles with the ability to swap them out when the mood takes me (or the Squidlet demands).

Holy crap batsman, that little guy is getting big! Time flies.

Quite cool and nice to have automation like this. While not cheap, it does let the non computer programmer to have something pretty sophisticated and not the trouble, time and cost of installing decoders. My fleet is ove 150 consists and a small pile of engines so I'm not sure when I will get to DCC (if ever), but this does allow some fun running w.o them.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

I already use DCC in many of my trains, which is needed to be able to run them on the majority of club layouts that I've encountered.  Unfortunately it seems adding DCC to most tomix models is a pretty major task, unlike the rest of my kato fleet where the decoders are drop in or a quick wiring job that can be taken out easily.  Because of this (and the tomix knuckle couplers being unable to work with other brands) I've decided to get the kato versions of most releases.  However I very much enjoy the detail of tomix's DMUs, and I'm growing an extensive tomix Kiha collection.  I'd like to one day to a shelf layout of the omura line, and tomix has released almost all the units that ran on the line in later years.  If the system proves to be reliable and relatively easy to use without a grasp on the Japanese language, I may end up getting one in a few years.

Wow the little guy certainly grow big really fast! Tetsu-mama also looking good just like before !

While it looks mighty impressive, it is quite costly and unless the layout is large enough the effect of the automation might not be that fantastic... Prbably giving this system a miss for the huge line of train sets going to be released like the Shikishima...

• Like 1

I wonder if it is possible to have 8 feeder and 0 point modules (or some other combination) instead of 4 and 4 in each box. 

Looking at close-ups of the I/O box it appears that the modules might be keyed so that T-DVF02 power drivers must plug into the left 4 sockets and T-DVP01 point drivers into the right 4.

Looking at close-ups of the I/O box it appears that the modules might be keyed so that T-DVF02 power drivers must plug into the left 4 sockets and T-DVP01 point drivers into the right 4.

That's a shame. At this point, Tomix should have installed the i/o parts fixed in half the space.

This gets my assumptions down to:

-4 x N bits block driver out N=[5..8]

-4 x 1 bits turnout out

-8 x 2 bits sensor in

=> 24..36 bits out, 16 bits in

How do they introduce the gaps (G) that isolate the track sections?

EDIT: I think I see now. You pull the regular track joiner with pliers?

Edited by sandiway

How do they introduce the gaps (G) that isolate the track sections?

EDIT: I think I see now. You pull the regular track joiner with pliers?

There is a small metal tool for this and you can find it joiner packs. (Kato uses a larger plastic one) The isolating joiners are black plastic. Also there are isolating tracks available for those who don't want to mess around with the joiners.

ps: The same is true for detectors, you can get detector plugs for any tracks and assembled detector tracks in 70mm length.

There is a small metal tool for this and you can find it joiner packs. (Kato uses a larger plastic one) The isolating joiners are black plastic. Also there are isolating tracks available for those who don't want to mess around with the joiners.

ps: The same is true for detectors, you can get detector plugs for any tracks and assembled detector tracks in 70mm length.

Ah, what is the part number for the Tomix isolating joiners?

I use the 5567 sensors designed for use with Tomix Wide PC rail. I cut out the slot for the sensor in the S70 (wide) straights, and pop the sensors in. Actually, I'd like Tomix to release Wide PC rail S70s with the sensors already built in.

0111 part number

Thank you! 

BTW, in the videos, I saw 3 trains sharing one line with passing sidings was possible.

However, the basic kit is only for up to 2 trains (running one of 3 different modes) using one control unit plus one ND unit (connecting: 4 feeders, 4 sensors, 2 points)

So that means adding another ND unit will be necessary for 3 trains? And one would need two passing sidings?

Edited by sandiway

4 blocks allow 3 trains, with two stationary and one moving. Running only 2 trains allows two moving at the same time. There are no actual modes, just programs, so you can have as many trains as blocks minus one so at least one could move to a free block in front of it. The layout would be extremly slow though like having a rush hour traffic jam. Having 2 blocks for each moving train allows more action.

3 trains, 4 blocks:

-train A leaves track 1, enters block 1

-train B leaves block 2, enters track 1

-train A leaves block 1, enters block 2

-switch turnouts from track 1 to track 2

-train C leaves track 2, enters block 1

-train A leaves block 2, enters track 2

-train C leaves block 1, enters block 2

-switch turnouts from track 2 to track 1

-train B leaves track 1, enters block 1

-train C leaves block 2, enters track 1

-train B leaves block 1, enters block 2

-... and so on, until all trains make two full loops and end up at their starting positions

Actually it's just the same 4 steps repeated each time, with the turnouts switching over each repeat and the two tracks swapping places.

2 trains, 4 blocks:

-train A leaving track 1, entering block 1

and train B leaving block 2, entering track 2

-train B waiting

and train A leaving block 1, entering block 2

and turnouts switching over

-train B leaving track 2, entering block 1

and train A leaving block 2, entering track 1

-train A waiting

and train B leaving block 1, entering block 2

and turnouts switching over

-repeat

Here it seems that all 3 trains do move simultaneously some of the time in this demo.

That demo layout has 6 blocks (4 station, 2 line), which 5 is used for the 3 train demo. That's at least one block more than what the basic set supports. 5 block allows 2 trains moving, briefly 3 when one stops and another starts.

Btw. those modes seem to be just presets as the actual program is next to them.

Actually, their video shows four trains on the demo layout at one point.

That had 8 feeders and two passing sidings on a loop. Two ND units + the control unit.

New Tomix TNOS video showing demonstration at TamTam Akihabara, 35 minutes.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2