Tomix 1247 Double Crossover

VentureForth

VentureForth

How many swich boxes are required for the 1247 double crossover?  I think it has two sets of leads, but couldn't one switch handle all four frogs?

VentureForth

Link didn't work nor could I find the link from the double crossover points page, but your description helped. Can the N-W controllers operate ANY two sets of points?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Link didn't work nor could I find the link from the double crossover points page, but your description helped. Can the N-W controllers operate ANY two sets of points?

Yes.

Weird, that my link doesn't work as it's to the same page.

Yes, it's intended to operate two points at the same time. I have one meant for that purpose from the CB station set. I think the catalogue lists another usage for it but its mainly for that. 

VentureForth

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Tomix has come a long way since the 80s!

Tomix has really pushed the boundaries of non-dcc modeling. Here in the States, they like to push new technology without fully exploiting the existing technology. But, HO being the most popular here, I can understand to a degree the desire to keep with a sort of common standard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Tomix has come a long way since the 80s! Tomix has really pushed the boundaries of non-dcc modeling. Here in the States, they like to push new technology without fully exploiting the existing technology. But, HO being the most popular here, I can understand to a degree the desire to keep with a sort of common standard.

Actually most parts of this technology was already available in the 80ies. For example the Lego trains rail powered era (1969 to 2007) was using very similar solutions both for power routing, accessory control and signalling. The current Tomix Neo system was introduced in 1997, but the first transistor systems began with the NECST in 1985 and even CL was supported by that system. You are probably refering to the classic system from 1976, but even that had turnout and traction power control switches, so the basics for full DC control were already available.

The current trend is actually wireless control, both rail and battery powered and for example Lego has migrated to infrared and dead rails in 2007 and now digital radio is becoming common (with bluetooth receivers and smartphone controllers). Also Tomix is starting to sell bluetooth equipped camera trains this year, but it still relies on rail power. Personally i would really like to see rail powered, DCC socket compatible, bluetooth low power receivers for N scale. Still, imho for typical japanese operations on a home layout, classic DC control is fully enough.

ps: You can find more info here: http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/index.htm

VentureForth

It was with this 80's technology that I was impressed.  I think my dad bought my first train set when I was around 12, so, that'd be around 1984-ish.  The power controlled turnouts, I though, were standard.  Even a few years ago when I was playing with Atlas turnouts, I couldn't understand why no one in the US was doing this - so far as I could tell (perhaps some of the Life-Like or even Atlas snap track turns off power when a point is selected the opposite direction, but I don't really know).

I've seen Tomix's wireless stuff and it's amazing.  DCC really does offer the ULTIMATE in controlability - being able to run two trains on the same track in the same or opposite directions, while adding sound and enhanced lighting.  I'm sure you can even make a fully automated block control system with signals work.

But I'm still impressed with Tomix's advances (even though, as you say, much of it is already close to 20 years old).  Kato doesn't seem to carry quite that level of technology, but they make up for it in with their international presence and more international selection of stock.

Actually power routing turnouts are really old tech and go as far as the first live frog turnouts. Tomix only made it easier to use and wire with full power routing, but that is only since the new Finetrack range as the classic tracks were frog side isolating only as current Kato turnouts and pretty much everyone else, including the mentioned ancient Lego turnouts. It's a real pain to disable though if you are running DCC, so newer Kato turnouts have power routing disable screws for the DCC market.

Tomix wireless controllers are DECT cordless phone technology and are a bit outdated, but the new wifi camera car will be cutting edge. DCC is good, but as soon as you want to know which train is where, you'll end up wiring everyting in blocks again with expensive detectors for every block. Kato supports DCC in many of its trains, probably due to international sales. Tomix on the other hand went the cab control route and offers everything to set up a layout in a classic cab control way, including actual cab imitation analog throttles. Actually it's easier to control a fully automated layout with analog block control and point based train detection as the control system always knows which train is where and using threadle type wheel sensors (Tomix TCS sensors) the trains could be stopped exactly at designated spots (very much like how real world automatic platform stop systems work with balises). It's doable with DCC, but no manufacturer supports it off the shelf. This is possible because Tomix doesn't really support DCC in any way, so they had the possibility to offer a classic analog cab control system. The base of this technology goes back to the MIT/Tech Model Railroad Club in 1946 and since then control component prices have fallen so low that everyone could buy it and since many people in Japan have more trains than station tracks, making the track smarter is a more cost effective way than putting a heap of DCC decoders into a single multiple unit that has the motor(s) in the middle car(s) and the headlights in the control trailers. Btw. there is a new automated block control system from Tomix that is due this fall and allows multiple stations and trains to be automated on a double track mainline with one train optionally hand controllable. (and it's done without any electronics in the trains)

• Like 4

Your link has two bytes of nonprintable utf in it. Only visible in the page source. Copy paste error...

• Like 1