Eurostar cab ride Paris->London

Jcarlton

Must be an older video as it hits Britain's archaic 3rd rail network after leaving the tunnel.

I think it's an old SNCF training film, from 1994, so yes.  On the other hand it would not surprise me if Eurostar trains don't get dumped on the BR from time to time as a result of trackwork and MOW issues.

I think it's an old SNCF training film, from 1994, so yes.  On the other hand it would not surprise me if Eurostar trains don't get dumped on the BR from time to time as a result of trackwork and MOW issues.

So far there were only two lines so far with the loading gauge to handle Eurostar trains, first the old 3rd rail lines to Waterloo and the newer ones to St. Pancras. There were talks about a freight depot near the old London olympic grounds using the HS1 tracks (and there were at least a test run with an old TGV La Poste set) but i don't know it it's still considered. The Eurostar sets could not really move anywhere else safely on the british network as the 3rd rail pickups were removed from the sets and most british lines are too narrow for them.

So far there were only two lines so far with the loading gauge to handle Eurostar trains, first the old 3rd rail lines to Waterloo and the newer ones to St. Pancras. There were talks about a freight depot near the old London olympic grounds using the HS1 tracks (and there were at least a test run with an old TGV La Poste set) but i don't know it it's still considered. The Eurostar sets could not really move anywhere else safely on the british network as the 3rd rail pickups were removed from the sets and most british lines are too narrow for them.

You mean apart from say Kings Cross to York/Leeds?

You mean apart from say Kings Cross to York/Leeds?

The north of London type sets are built for the narrow british profile. Compare the 373 and 374 classes for the differences in the shape of the cars. The 374 series only fits into the HS1 and probably any future high speed or international freight routes. Also the lack of 3rd rail pickups won't help much in case of any detours on most south east England lines.

I thought we were talking about the original 373 Eurostar sets, originally with the 3rd rail pickups.

I thought we were talking about the original 373 Eurostar sets, originally with the 3rd rail pickups.

It's my bad. So far those had the most freedom in south east england compared to the rest of the fleet. Newer and updated sets are more and more restricted. I don't even want to think about the loading gauge of the car shuttles. Btw. i wonder if the new Hitachi high speed sets could be made channel tunnel compatible?