What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Picked up an old Bachmann Metroliner set dirt cheap on EBay.

0909191746.jpg

Also picked up a Walthers Proto Metroliner, but it is doomed to become a cab car.

0908192013.jpg

• Like 2

I got it to upgrade and run, and then if not run, then use the cars in other projects, but this set is complete and quite clean and I don't like breaking apart complete sets when if they are cheap/common.

I really like Phase II even though I'm running modern. The Phase I arrow on one end will really work well into the look of the rest of the train.

2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Love that amtrak phase 1!

• Like 1

Interesting that Bachmann USA train sets contained individually boxed items in an outer sleeve at one point. Their UK arm have always done that rather than the usual polystyrene foam tray.

Picked these two German coaches up for dirt cheap the other day. No idea what I'm going to do with them, but they should be alright with a good cleaning.

Will start with better wheels, then go from there. I may acquire a NOHAB at some point to Americanize, so that may retain it's European couplers to pull these. If not, they'll sit on a siding somewhere and look out of place untill I figure out what to use them for.

0919191822.jpg

0919191822a.jpg

Also picked up an older Proto 2000 kit boxcar to add to my meager collection and a rather sad Bachmann 4-4-0 that will likely get salvageed for parts. I feel much better about tearing down, scrapping, or cannibalizing a $4 locomotive that's missing parts and doesn't run than I would be about a $20 or $30 that does run.

0919191651d.jpg

0919191651a.jpg

WHY DO YOU EMBED UPSIDE DOWN?

I DO NOT GET IT!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, MichiK said:

Yet another sexy (if little known) beast from the early 50s: Märklin's z gauge VT 10.5 "Senator"

senator_001.thumb.JPG.0aefe133e848647e60102ddb7a4bb0e6.JPG

senator_004.thumb.JPG.d2669aca6040ccd9adc574a2bf337ab9.JPG

The real train was rather an experiment, but the experiences gained from it went directly into the successful VT 11.5 class.

That looks suspiciously like a GM Aerotrain.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

That looks suspiciously like a GM Aerotrain.

It really does a bit, doesn't it? Though, according to Wikipedia the Senator entered service three years before the Aerotrain.

It might be, of course, that both designs were incfluenced by the TALGO II, which was built even earlier.

Went back to that shop and picked up these two little coaches for the 4-4-0.

0921191958.jpg

I've decided that said 4-4-0 will be parked on a siding for appearances as an "out door, un-restored" exhibit with the coaches. Ir has since been disassembled, cleaned, and oiled. It rolls freely enough that it can be pushed around a yard if need be.

• Like 1

Just trying to work out whose attempt at the Rheingold dome cars those are. The real things still exist, having been sold through a few hands after DB withdrew them and ending up in Sweden. Some or maybe all have now been repatriated to Germany and there's at least one restored example out and about.

They were part of a complete update of the Rheingold in the 1960s, replacing pre-war skirted coaches. There was also a distinctive restaurant car with a double deck kitchen, which involves a roof bulge for the upper deck and a well for the lower. Originally dark blue and beige they adopted TEE red/beige when that network was set up.

23 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Just trying to work out whose attempt at the Rheingold dome cars those are. The real things still exist, having been sold through a few hands after DB withdrew them and ending up in Sweden. Some or maybe all have now been repatriated to Germany and there's at least one restored example out and about.

They were part of a complete update of the Rheingold in the 1960s, replacing pre-war skirted coaches. There was also a distinctive restaurant car with a double deck kitchen, which involves a roof bulge for the upper deck and a well for the lower. Originally dark blue and beige they adopted TEE red/beige when that network was set up.

These two are Lima models.

Currently toying with the idea of localizing them for American rails as privately owned cars.

Also found an old Lima Class 42 to tide me over untill I can acquire a pair of Class 421s from Auscision.

0928191117.jpg

0928191117a.jpg

0928191117b.jpg

The seller listed it as "un powered", but it has a motour in it, so it just doesn't run right now. I will disassemble, clean, lube, etc. and see if I can get it rolling again.

• Like 2

uc?export=view&id=14OX8f0PhMQj4384BKBQf1

Brawa IC Twindexx set (64507/64508/64509) finally arrived. It's really well done and very beautiful! The lights seem to be equipped with a capacitor too since they don't immediately turn off when the power cuts out. Doesn't run so nicely with small radii. Will require some better couplers for push operation. And it has the older IC markings, not the current up to date ones (but since those are only implemented very recently, that's not too big of a problem for me).

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3
On 9/29/2019 at 1:31 AM, GDorsett said:

Also found an old Lima Class 42...

4201 looks a bit different these days:

large.715C3A1F-4083-4F8E-935F-3ECDDFBF01

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, marknewton said:

4201 looks a bit different these days:

large.715C3A1F-4083-4F8E-935F-3ECDDFBF01

Cheers,

Mark.

This model has quite a few issues, as well, one of which fooled me into thinking it was a 421 Class at initial sighting. Namely, this model has two rear windows for the shunting cab instead of one (So I'll us that and pretend it's a full cab.), it's got paint around the shunter's cab windows when it shouldn't,  and it's got the wrong horn/horn in the wrong place.

Oh well, gonna be repainted and respeced for my American fictional road, so I'm not too worried.

The version of the model you have is a repaint of their model of the Victorian Railways S class loco, which were similar but not identical to the 42s. Later versions had a retooled bodyshell that was more accurate, but the mech retained the incorrect Flexicoil trucks. My son has one of the later versions. For its age it's not a bad model.

48873392852_dc0fde4ab7_k_d.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2