What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Kato ICE4 arrived at home in the US on Saturday but I am here in Tokyo. So no pictures. Both the basic 7 car set and the 5 car addon.

Also picked up the Kato Eurostar new color (basic and addon set) from Yodobashi.

• Like 2
On 6/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, chadbag said:

So the ICE 4 from KATO arrived today.  Both the 7 car base set and the 5 car add-on set.   This is the Japan release version.  As has been noted, the train comes in a normal KATO bookcase, except that it is a wider/deeper (depending on your perspective) case.  The third pic shows a normal KATO case (E7 Shinkansen) on top of the ICE4 case.  They are the same height (due to closeness of the camera they appear to be different heights) but you can clearly see the ICE4 case is wider (they are lined up the same on the left).

Hey Chad, any chance you could post more pictures of the ICE? Mine is being sent to a friend who'll hold it until I move. I'm eager to see the details. Can you post some details? As many as possible? Please, please, please!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Hey Chad, any chance you could post more pictures of the ICE? Mine is being sent to a friend who'll hold it until I move. I'm eager to see the details. Can you post some details? As many as possible? Please, please, please!!!!!!

I may be able to this weekend.  I have not done more than remove one car to take a quick look at it.  2 reasons:  one, been busy with work and also working on planning for our house build next year (we are in the process of hiring an architect and getting ballpark costs etc).  Second:  I want to do a sort of unboxing and mini review video and so need it to be "virgin" and if I took it out now, I'd want to play with it and that is a distraction 🙂

It has been hard not to take it out and play with it.  After all this wait.  There are lots of videos and tweets and stuff about it out there if you look.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, chadbag said:

also working on planning for our house build next year (we are in the process of hiring an architect and getting ballpark costs etc)🙂

The house will have its own baseball stadium? Cool!

(Sorry, couldn't resist 😉 )

• Haha 2
46 minutes ago, railsquid said:

The house will have its own baseball stadium? Cool!

(Sorry, couldn't resist 😉 )

Squid, in this country you never know. My wife found this listing on zillow - a real estate listing site. It's got it's own basketball court!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3069B-Spencer-Hill-Rd-Corning-NY-14830/2087681020_zpid/

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Our first (idiot) agent when we moved to DC area insisted on taking us to “executive” class houses, ignoring what we wanted (much much smaller w.o 2 acres of lawn). One was a house built by one of the pro football players that had 8000sqft and a half court bb court in the basement and a 20’x30’ gym... we got rid of her after the first afternoon of visiting 4 houses like this...

jeff

• Haha 2
marknewton
10 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Squid, in this country you never know. My wife found this listing on zillow - a real estate listing site. It's got it's own basketball court!

Imagine how much N scale layout you could fit inside that!

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts
10 hours ago, gavino200 said:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3069B-Spencer-Hill-Rd-Corning-NY-14830/2087681020_zpid/

That's not even that expensive.. Over here you'd get about 1/5th of the size for that price if you're lucky, but probably smaller, with only a small garden, and definitely no pool .. 

3 hours ago, marknewton said:

Imagine how much N scale layout you could fit inside that!

Full scale Tokyo tower!

yep that would be 5-10x the price here.

jeff

Just ranting here, but what's up with pre-orders being so horrible in Europe? They don't do slots, they just allow anyone to pre-order without counting, then deliver whatever they can get, and people that pre-ordered late are *@#% out of luck (a translated quote from the store) after they try to back-order it which almost always is useless. And of course by that time the other stores will have sold out. And of course cancelling a pre-order is "not appreciated".

This is not some smalltime shop either. I'm talking about the biggest in the Netherlands. What's the benefit of pre-ordering then?

Ugh.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1

I’ve always been amazed that I’ve never had a preorder not fulfilled in japan even for the stuff that seems to be practically sold out at preorder.

I’ve had a couple of us orders that they said they would take a preorder but they had already reached their allotment and were not sure there would be more available. Got one but not the other, but both were up front about it.

jeff

• Like 1

Modellbahn Lippe doesn't do pre-orders.  Probably for the reason shown by the debacle Yaviance is sharing.  They take "reservations" (and they do seem to count them vs expected receipts as they will turn them off on some items) but they explain up front the reservations do not guarantee product.  They do give you a week of time to come buy if you reserved before the stock gets opened up to the general customer base without reservations.   I had the ICE4 "reserved" there since before it was mentioned that KATO would sell it in Japan and I had forgotten. I got an email a week ago saying it was available.  Instead of just ignoring it for the week they give you I went in and cancelled the reservation so that they could better manage things.

• Like 3

This arrived today the Revolution Trains/Rapido 11 car N Gauge Pendolino 390104 in the striking Alstom Pendolino livery.

02.jpg

01.jpg

Edited by tavora
  • Like 15

I was finally able to get a complete Fleischmann ČD EC Porta Bohemica, mostly thanks to @Yavianice!

D8nr_XIUEAAV15n.thumb.jpg.91e8b6a643f6f171e2cfbc3d7ad2051d.jpg

While I like the details and driving characteristics of the Vectron, I'm also very disappointed. Fleischmann should really think about changing to 21st century printing methods. Something like this was probably still acceptable in the 90s.

With Hobbytrain Vectron:

D8nsgPuWwAAmR50.thumb.jpg.ec1ee3718346c88ddd032b0b25a64b87.jpg

And with Kühn ČD Class 371:

D8ns1TdVsAA_uPn.thumb.jpg.e337a3a89476e5eb465e0fc0b7e64e86.jpg 

Overall I prefer the 371 over the Doraetron.

Edited by Suica
  • Like 5
serotta1972

I took a chance on Marklin  37978 Mikado New York Central "weathered" - NIB and untested and pictures looked good.  Model looks awesome, runs and sounds great too, so it worked out. Phew!

It's a American steam locomotive with a Japanese name and the model is made in Germany.  Supposedly, the Marklin and Trix Mikado is the gold standard for HO steam locomotives and this particular model was made in the early 2000's and it's as good if not better than anything out right now.  Funny, I also hear that the Kato Mikado is the gold standard for N scale steam locomotive.  Hmmmm.

IMG_0450.thumb.jpg.08ca7ca5a967494c57a3c3cb800a1f0b.jpgIMG_0447.thumb.jpg.1d93291b9d18d26859f7e121870f9eac.jpgIMG_0448.thumb.jpg.b4e25d542582e07ef3519b16dff629eb.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 3

Is that an HO or N scale model?

In HO, I will swear by my Broadway.

Edited by GDorsett
16 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Märklin is H0 (with their 3-rail AC track which you can see in the pic).  Trix makes the standard DC versions of most Märklin stuff, being owned now by them.

serotta1972

Thanks, Chad. Yes, it is HO - would've have preferred the Trix 2 Rail but couldn't pass this one up.  It'll end up running with the German trains. 

Purchased the Minitrix BR101 Rheingold in Red brand new but of course it is broken on arrival (because of inept package design by Minitrix) so I have to return it and pick it up in the store. Also purchased the Fleischmann SBB S-Bahn set brand new but of course it is broken on arrival (one of the three lights is not working) so I have to return it and wait half a year for it to be repaired.

Honestly what is wrong with European model trains nowadays? 50-50% chance it's broken or dead on arrival for brand new trains. And people complain the "Kato ICE has plastic pantographs boohoohoo". UGH!

• Sad 1
On 6/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, GDorsett said:

I was incredibly disappointed with my Broadway mikado, I returned it for the bachmann one which runs much better.  Also a lot cheaper!

What is this madness, a Bachmann running better than a Broadway?

Fascinating.

That said, I've had an issue where the chuf sensor isn't working. The chufs will come/go when the model is jolted. It's odd. One of these days, I'll fix it...

• Haha 1

The new Z-gauge Rheingold by Märklin - a very well done set if it wasn't for the almost non-existing paint job on the wagon ends. Nothing that couldn't be bettered with a bit of paint in a few minutes, but nonetheless extremely annoying!

Rheingold_87269_001.thumb.JPG.79d6be78b447b139daf9a4c2707dbd2e.JPG

Rheingold_87269_003.thumb.JPG.d67f008cb4d6e04649d0faac1fdd5d5f.JPG

• Like 4