What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Oh no, you're totally right Chadbag, its just a funny mistake Jr made.  Perhaps its telling when we start getting so many trains we begin to loose count of what we have...  😁

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

IMG_0178.jpg

Nice multiple unit, but the intermediate cars have very small windows?

I jest, I jest.

Anyway, the "informal" term for an "ABBA" formation is "dancing queen", for "ABBBA" it's "dancing chief".

I jest, I jest. Sorry, it's Friday.

• Haha 3
Martijn Meerts
2 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

The motive power for my Super Chief, F7ABBA.  🙂

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

You're not helping me NOT order this thing 😉

I have to say though, the gap between the units doesn't look very good...

34 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Oh no, you're totally right Chadbag, its just a funny mistake Jr made.  Perhaps its telling when we start getting so many trains we begin to loose count of what we have...  😁

I'm long passed that point ...

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I have to say though, the gap between the units doesn't look very good...

The gap is a lot less noticeable in real life, and american limited makes diaphrams (gangway hoods in JR terms) that fill the space if you choose to go that route.
image.thumb.png.b3400f149fda1ffeef71d59d89ca9652.png

(photo is of a friend's units he recently did) 

• Like 4
Martijn Meerts

You should be agreeing me that the gap looks bad to help me not buy it, not come up with good looking fixes 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Arnold DR BR 01

D7aecZOXoAABrf_.thumb.jpg.69a95b0521d5be81739412b82dd91d3e.jpg

Finding this beautiful DR Pacific for a reasonable price actually wasn't easy. I'm glad I finally did though.

• Like 5
Welshbloke

Found a second Graham Farish Class 91, three MKIV coaches and a DVT for a very sane price:

I already had another coach, and a second 91 lurks in its box upstairs. Need a Casco Shinkansen case and two packs of new Farish coach wheels to get rid of the pizza cutters, but I've fitted Kato knuckle couplers to bring them a bit closer. Also need two each of FO and SO coaches, and the restaurant car to make a full length train. I should probably check whether the 91 can haul ten coaches before getting too enthusiastic...

• Like 3

I have a late Poole-era Class 90 which is a nice solid runner, it pulled 5 Mk1s up my incline, and could cope with stopping and restarting on it, which is more than some modern British-outline locos can.

Meanwhile a package arrived from the UK while I was out, the postman wrote on the delivery slip that the sender was a certain "Mr. Customs Declaration", though it can only be a box from Auntie Christine of Widnes (formerly of Liverpool).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Welshbloke

We had nothing but trouble with early Poole 90s. Neither of the two we tried ran!

91s seem to have been built with better tolerances, as it was the one Farish loco I had new which never suffered a split gear. They're getting hard to find now and the MKIVs likewise.

Welshbloke

One to take to a rental layout and confuse the locals with!

Reminds me, I must sort out my attempt at an IC Executive era WCML express. I picked up a rake of Dapol MK3s last year and an old Farish MK1 BG to match. Then found that Dapol and Farish were unable to agree on a coupler height and the Dapol coaches are prone to derailing due to their not including a proper close coupler for the NEM pockets. The swing arms need couplers which form a rigid bar, like Fleischmann Profis in N or the various HO designs. Rigid knuckle couplers as provided by Dapol...don't.

That's before we get to my having to carefully remove the spurious "125" branding from coaches numbered as loco hauled MK3s and fitted with buffers. You can see why sourcing a loco has fallen down the list somewhat...

I'll do the rental layout thing one day when the Squidlet has grown up a bit...

By that time I too might have solved the Farish/Dapol coupling problem - the above Farish-only Mk1 rake stays together of course,  but has already come uncoupled from the loco a few times...

Welshbloke

My Farish BG is from the old tooling with printed sides (NOS from Hereford, after they found a stash of 90s Farish somewhere). Annoyingly Ultima (whose very pretty etched underframe kit I used while building one of the BR test cars from another MK1 and a set of vinyl sides) seem to have ceased trading, leaving me a bit stuck for upgrade parts for the BG.

My only Dapol 86 came second hand from Cheltenham last year. Described as having a damaged pantograph which turned out to be an unclipped part, it awaits a more suitable train for a Railfreight Distribution loco.

Am I odd for being such a steam fan in general, and that while I love BR-era diesels and electrics, I find British steam mostly kinda dull? lol but there are a few exceptions.

And here it is, Kato's ICE 4 (Japan Version)

ICE4.thumb.jpg.84e63f5b06d2eec8965fae6ed0b4b247.jpg

Kato replicated set Tz 9010. Funnily enough, that exact train brought me back home from my business trip just yesterday. 🙃

• Like 5
serotta1972

I'm waiting for mine, finally will have an ICE Train in the collection.  How cool is that you rode the prototype of the Kato model.  

What do you mean by "Japan Version"? Is it modified from Japan's rails or is it just the made-in version instead of made elsewhere?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

What do you mean by "Japan Version"? Is it modified from Japan's rails or is it just the made-in version instead of made elsewhere?

It is the packaging.  The train is the same.   The German HST.

In Japan it (the model) is labeled as a KATO product and comes in (oversized) traditional green KATO book cases.  In Europe it is sold by Lemke and comes in Lemke packaging of some sort for that market.  I am not sure about what version they sell on KATO USA (where it is listed as sold out on pre-orders).

Edited by chadbag

"That's a funny-looking wagon", said Thomas. "I hope it doesn't become a Troublesome Truck. I wonder what the Fat Controller meant when he said he had to respond to a tense geopolitical situation."

47981477378_c9bab92192_z.jpg

thomas-missile by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Haha 8
43 minutes ago, railsquid said:

"That's a funny-looking wagon", said Thomas. "I hope it doesn't become a Troublesome Truck. I wonder what the Fat Controller meant when he said he had to respond to a tense geopolitical situation."

"It was time for Thomas to leave. He had seen everything"

• Haha 4
15 hours ago, Suica said:

"It was time for Thomas to leave. He had seen everything"

He had seen too much!

Interestingly, Mrs. Railsquid, who rarely ventures into the Squidlair (which serves as office/railway room) apart from to check the cockroach traps and errant Squidlets, asked me the other day why Thomas was pulling a missile ("this isn't North Korea, you know").

• Haha 6

Ok so KATO has been touting this special european packaging for the ICE-4 that was going to be special for EU and totally different than the green packaging that KATO usually has. Does it have some fancy graphics? Kinda like the original 700T packaging? Is it worth the extra 100 or so euro for getting the import version rather than the japanese version?

Nah. It's white instead of green. That's it. Nothing else.

• Thanks 2

So the ICE 4 from KATO arrived today.  Both the 7 car base set and the 5 car add-on set.   This is the Japan release version.  As has been noted, the train comes in a normal KATO bookcase, except that it is a wider/deeper (depending on your perspective) case.  The third pic shows a normal KATO case (E7 Shinkansen) on top of the ICE4 case.  They are the same height (due to closeness of the camera they appear to be different heights) but you can clearly see the ICE4 case is wider (they are lined up the same on the left).

IMG_1106.thumb.jpg.e0e1f7d3c8858785712abcb409643c39.jpgIMG_1107.thumb.jpg.ebf8adcaea41f6df2bb39faee0cc46ff.jpgIMG_1108.thumb.jpg.40748399ac173f30aecb5dccf932a666.jpg

• Like 4