What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Rapido trains Virgin Pendolino  11 car "Penny the Pendolino" with DCC sound and light bars. Photos/video when this blind guy figures out how these Rapido couplers work. I am going to have to borrow a working pair of eyes as I don't want to do any experimenting on a $600 train!

On 1/17/2019 at 2:49 PM, Waisneed said:

I shouldn't have done this, but I did anyway:

Is that G-scale? Are you going to run it around the house? Or are you expanding out into the garden. I'm very tempted to set up a garden railway line.

3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Is that G-scale? Are you going to run it around the house? Or are you expanding out into the garden. I'm very tempted to set up a garden railway line.

It is indeed G-scale.

I will run it mostly around the house. May do some excursions onto the balcony.

• Like 1

Thanks to Yavianice, I finally got Fleischmann's Berlin-Warszawa-Express. Goes well with my new Kühn DB BR 180.

Dxmch_uXgAAwiqq.thumb.jpg.c287a10c9387b3f5bc5bfb56e727a2a4.jpg

Also got some additional InterCityNight Talgo coaches and a Fleischmann DB BR 110.

DxHOb7tXgAA-ZjZ.thumb.jpg.102afc641318df3df080bb99033c3d45.jpg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Glad you got them intact. But did this BR180 ever run with the BWE?

Until PKP finally got their Husarz delivered, yes. They were used with Cargo, Railion and DR livery. I remember that they occasionally even used some ČD class 371/372

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

Finally the pacer I pre-ordered in 2015 has arrived. Like all UK models, it needed oiling and makes a lot of noise out of the box. Runs smooth, also at low speed.

image.thumb.png.c2b97c1ddc01b70fc67464a2e6c74b2a.png

• Like 5

Over the past few months, bargain N scale pickings in the basement of Popondetta Akihabara have been slim, to say the least, well non-existent (good place if you need overpriced Fleischmann and Rivarossi coaches though) but I got lucky today:

32995889348_d9425ebab3_z.jpg

misc-purchases-2019-01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The V200 is this one from Minitrix, dead as a dodo and one axle is missing a gear, but at 1080 yen including tax it'd be good value even as a static model. I will see if it is repairable when I have a moment...

• Like 4
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

Same source, not quite so cheap but still very reasonable:

What's up with that knuckle coupler though? Did you do this? 😨

23 hours ago, railsquid said:

The V200 is this one from Minitrix, dead as a dodo and one axle is missing a gear, but at 1080 yen including tax it'd be good value even as a static model. I will see if it is repairable when I have a moment...

Ah yes, here we have a classic case of what I presume is a DCC chip not responding to DC (whether by design or because it's burnt out):

39916581243_bbbd958b0a_z.jpg

Minitrix BR220 "repair" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Motor worked when applying voltage to the terminals, so swap in a blanking plate and off she goes, beautifully smooth and quiet. Interestingly the motor appears to be made in Switzerland.

The missing axle gear doesn't appear to be a problem, I presume I can rustle up a spare somehow. One light pair is also not working, which I can live with pending time to consider whether that's fixable.

Bargain of the year :)

I don't suppose anyone can identify the presumed DCC chip? It doesn't have an name/product number anywhere.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, railsquid said:

I don't suppose anyone can identify the presumed DCC chip? It doesn't have an name/product number anywhere.

I don't think this is a DCC chip. It looks like the standard DC chip used in Minitrix models (See thrid picture here https://www.1zu160.net/digital/einbaubsp/mtx-v200.php)

Is that Swiss motor possibly a Maxon motor? I remember that there was a series of MTX models with Faulhaber motors which were absolutely terrible. It's likely that a previous owner went with a replacement by Maxon in this case. They're superb motors. Consider yourself even luckier.

I suspect the name on the motor was "Faulhaber", not going to take it apart to check right now. Runs beautifully anyway. So far.

Die einfachste Variante des Umbaus ist das Entfernen der Analogplatine und das Einsetzen eines Steckdecoders. Ich habe dies einmal probiert, leider wackelte der Decoder, so dass zumindest ein Einlöten empfehlenswert wäre.

Hmm, if that is a DC chip, maybe it was just a bit loose - I assumed it was DCC and didn't bother to try and reseat it or anything. I'll take another look another day. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

So, while in the mood for taking things apart, I remembered I'd acquired a Dapol HST bookset a year or two ago as a non-runner for about 60 GBP, and it has been languishing ever since in the assumption some SMD or other electronic bit had failed (common with Dapol), which would require more time and concentration to fix than I have available.

But, taking another look at it, the directional lighting worked fine when power was applied, merely the motor was unresponsive. Taking it apart as far as revealing the motor contacts, it did then start working if power was applied directly, and then when power was applied to the bogie contact strips, and is still working fine after putting everything back together, so it's a bit of a mystery what the issue was - maybe some electrons needed dislodging or something.

45967386835_b10bcc5c14_z.jpg

Dapol HST (blue/grey) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 4
22 hours ago, railsquid said:

Hmm, if that is a DC chip, maybe it was just a bit loose - I assumed it was DCC and didn't bother to try and reseat it or anything. I'll take another look another day. Thanks for the link!

Yup, that DC chip was definitely loose; using a small screwdriver to push down the copper contact strips on the 6-pin DCC socket ensures all 6 pins have proper contact.

Moreover, evidently this DC "not a blanking plate chip" is required for the directional lighting, as it now works both ways.

Oh yes, motor is definitely "Faulhaber", but at this point I see absolutely no issue with it.

You learn something new every day 🙂 Thanks for the tips!

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Well I went to a show with some friends about an hour away not expecting to find anything, and ended up comming home with an HO Proto 2000 DCC+Sounds GP20 as well as an Athearn Genesis lit WP caboose.  Should have been about $350 but the seller didnt know what he had and sold them to me for $100 brand new.  Sold a Kato PA to a friend on the way back too which helped offset the cost.  Not a bad day out!  

photo5078036939432634410.thumb.jpg.fbf995a64c58735909732f89c1885943.jpg

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 4
On 1/26/2019 at 8:52 AM, railsquid said:

But, taking another look at it, the directional lighting worked fine when power was applied, merely the motor was unresponsive. Taking it apart as far as revealing the motor contacts, it did then start working if power was applied directly, and then when power was applied to the bogie contact strips, and is still working fine after putting everything back together, so it's a bit of a mystery what the issue was - maybe some electrons needed dislodging or something.

I've had this problem too and been convinced I fired a decoder or motor only to pop off the shell and discover that spinning the motor by hand makes it 'magically' work. Dunno if it's just on a dead spot or there's enough resistance somewhere to stop it from moving freely. The old 9 volt battery to the motor trick works too.

I did have a Fleischmann loco bought new in Germany, it ran fine in the shop, got it back to Japan, it ran around the layout then conked out. That was definitively a "dead spot" in the motor, and I ended up replacing the motor.

Alas, the HST has also since conked out again, it might be a similar issue, but at least I know the thing works in principle and how to take it apart, I'll give it another go soon.

Brawa DR BR VT 2.09 & VB 2.07 prototype colour. From MBS-Sebnitz's sale for a mere 68€ 🙃

DyZ2ms8WsAEhrjd.thumb.jpg.d1ce22a6dc67ab39c392aa0c73dbac2a.jpg

And two more locos for the Berlin-Warszawa-Express:

Brawa DB BR 232

DyZ4aQtWsAAh1rl.thumb.jpg.06ebbb4921f87f3d324859a27e25fcc1.jpg

Kühn ČD 371 201

DyZ4cyOW0AISGjK.thumb.jpg.a1c621abed54e84ea5d603c79f30b1b7.jpg

• Like 4