What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Finally got a Dutch Super Azusa Koploper, which actually was in the correct price range.

Sold as non-runner, took roughly 10 minutes to fix. Perfect!

DqRE2TJWkAEblx5.thumb.jpg.cb37bcc0b3ea7a4c608af532fcf6478e.jpg

Thanks a lot to Yavianice for pointing this one out.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Suica said:

Finally got a Dutch Super Azusa Koploper, which actually was in the correct price range.

Sold as non-runner, took roughly 10 minutes to fix. Perfect!

Thanks a lot to Yavianice for pointing this one out.

Ha! Awesome @Suica! Glad it was an easy fix and a ridiculously cheap price! 😉

• Like 2

The Hakone Tozan set now has a book case:

This is one of the Casco seven slot mini cases, I did need some extra spacers for the Ge 4/4 II but used spares from the identical case my Fuji lives in. Why the four extra spaces? Well, Kato released another Allegra with a different number to the Bernina Express one, in the starter set or in a card and polystyrene box. There's also the silver Ge 4/4 III (don't really want another identically numbered set of Glacier Express coaches but the loco is a different number). So if I come across either for sensible money...

• Like 2

I was weak, I ended up getting a Proto 2000 GP9 painted for western pacific.  I know its not my normal scale but its such a pretty model.  It has so many details and even has working doors!  I may get a few more of these...
20181116_171724.thumb.jpg.06b46bce64ba927d073b6593a03e35a7.jpg

20181116_193738.thumb.jpg.818ed14e57bba70d0488887c93414b6f.jpg

• Like 3
On 11/15/2018 at 12:08 PM, Suica said:

Got my first US named train, the California Zephyr, along with some D&RGW ALCo PA-1 and PB-1

DsC2sGLW4AEZZAu.thumb.jpg.7838aaab548f4197074373340a91920f.jpg

DsC3L__WkAAMBSi.thumb.jpg.fa6243d466653c1f6b1626727140590d.jpg

Very nice, now get ready for weird looks! 😀

• Haha 1

I just scored 2 Kato 10-909 TGV's from Brazil on eBay - I paid $150 plus $29 shipping for both.  I got a tip from someone I correspond with on FB and he also got 2 sets.  They are like new and one even has the side grills on the end cars painted black.  I been wanting one of these for a while but the going price on them is kinda ridiculous for a 6 car set, got lucky!

IMG_6224.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

• Like 5

Pretty nice, Junior.

I always wanted one of these myself, as I actually rode the prototype in Switzerland. However, what always kept me from getting one, aside from the mostly stupid prices these go for, is the fact that they never produced an add-on set... Just why...

Edited by Suica
8 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

I just scored 2 Kato 10-909 TGV's from Brazil on eBay - I paid $150 plus $29 shipping for both.  I got a tip from someone I correspond with on FB and he also got 2 sets.  They are like new and one even has the side grills on the end cars painted black.  I been wanting one of these for a while but the going price on them is kinda ridiculous for a 6 car set, got lucky!

IMG_6226.jpg

Did you change the couplers somehow? Because the original KATO TGV has a ginormous car distance between M1 and R1?

Edited by Yavianice

No, I didn't change the couplers.  Actually they're not coupled together, I swung over the plastic coupler to the side and pushed the cars together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brings back memories of the TGV Atlantique sets in France in the 90s. Used to see double sets fairly often around the Loire area, had a couple of trips from Tours to Paris on them too.

Claude_Dreyfus

Members of our club made our regular pilgrimage over to Cologne for the big exhibition a couple of weeks ago. Lots to see, both model and prototype, with plenty of Cologne's finest food and beer on offer! At the show, the trade stands were mixed, but I managed to pick up a couple of Brekina vehicles, as well as some scenic bits and pieces - etched card and the like. Then a visit to the ESU stand happened...

I had been looking for the Bordeaux red Ludmilla, but the only ESU stuff around was full price (i.e. €399) on the non-too impressive stalls (full of Maerklin junk, or medieval Fleischmann). However, whilst perving at the ESU display, I noticed they were flogging locos off at €275. A quick enquiry as to whether they had my target in stock - they did - lead to a new arrival. 

She was given a few circuits of the club layout last Friday, with full sound, light and smoke. It must be some of the best sound I have heard on an H0 diesel...quite an incredible model.

IMG_6885.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Bewildered railfans at Mitakihara Station take pictures as a Norfolk Southern ET44AC has somehow been transported across the sea:

et44ac2.thumb.jpg.59b92bd13277d41b82b9546a7df294b2.jpg

A closer look at it, it's a Scaletrains model with a preinstalled sound decoder, VERY nice runner and far outclasses the Broadway Limited GEVOS for $50 less. Very nicely detailed with all grab irons already installed. I also comes in a nice plastic clamshell to keep everything where it belongs on the loco.

et44ac.thumb.jpg.143d2d03a1bdd3c8b58f4d25adf6e6e7.jpg

• Like 3

My first British n-scale train. I had this exact train in OO gauge when I was a kid so it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. It's a fairly slow runner but not noisy as feared (Dapol). It sure was nice to just plug in a six pin decoder to get it running.

hcW9yeZ.jpg?1

• Like 4

Oh man, you beat me to it!  Well actually I have the Eurostar, does that count as a British Train? I will get a steam loco and passenger car set eventually.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

My first British n-scale train. I had this exact train in OO gauge when I was a kid so it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. It's a fairly slow runner but not noisy as feared (Dapol). It sure was nice to just plug in a six pin decoder to get it running.

hcW9yeZ.jpg?1

Very nice. Reminds me of my childhood, when confronted with a 33 and mark 1 carriages on a Cardiff to Brighton train. I was on a school trip and my headmaster, who was a railway fan, explained to me in detail what the locomotive was and where the train had come from. Happy memories!

These, and the 73s, were the stock-in-trade where I lived, and I still have a soft spot for them (although both are still very much in service today).

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
5 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Oh man, you beat me to it!  Well actually I have the Eurostar, does that count as a British Train? I will get a steam loco and passenger car set eventually.

I would say it does. Built to UK loading gauge, statutory yellow ends, TOPS (old BR numbering system) classification - class 373; it even had the 750dc third-rail pickups for when it worked out of Waterloo.

There is a UK allocation as well. Sure, they weren't designed or built here, but neither is a lot of stuff running on today's railway.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Thanks 1

Added a Dapol Great Western (Big Four era) 5700 class Pannier tank engine and on the horizon an order for Express Dairy egg vans looms.

IMG_6704 smal  1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

A bit late...

I picked up these 2 wagons in Munich while visiting in September.  I couldn't resist getting both the HO and N versions.  I bought them at a shop called Gleis11 (track 11) adjacent to the Muenchen Hauptbahnhof.  http://gleis-11.de/

Oktoberfest2018Wagons.thumb.jpg.d8e6b751c11f61634744c1441c422a06.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Added a Dapol Great Western (Big Four era) 5700 class Pannier tank engine

Nice addition. I have the London Transport version as a nod to my late grandfather who had a 00 gauge version when I was a child. I think it was an old Hornby set with a very bright red (unrealistic) livery.

How does yours run? Mine has had extensive running over the past year but is still a bit noisy. I find mine needs a good 15 mins of running with medium power each session to warm up everything so it’ll run at a slowish pace. Beautiful model but appalling in comparison to the Swiss Watch like Kato SLs. It might be a great runner as British N goes but it’s hard to know compared against the Japanese trains. For about £200 I’m very tempted by the 0 gauge version. 

207D27B8-75B2-4064-9845-CF45A49C4784.jpeg

• Like 3

Kamone--I haven't had a chance to run it yet. I still have to oil it and the local model train show is this weekend. Yes, Kato SL are so reliable.  We are spoiled!

Dapol motive power units are very hit-and-miss, alas. With a few exceptions generally very growly, and big variations in noise levels and reliability both between and within batches, and prone to failure of the electrical parts, particularly if directional lighting is involved.

Somewhat counterintuitively I've found it a better bet to buy Dapol 2nd hand from a reliable retailer (mainly Hattons) as it vastly reduces the chance of getting a brand-new dud from the latest production batch.

They do look nice though. Some of my collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129145651@N06/albums/72157670439108378

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2

Nice Squid. I would like to get a Western myself.

My first train set was a Lima 00 gauge set with a Class 52 , 2 x Mk 2 carriages and a Mk 1 guards van in BR blue in the mid 1980s. I think the coaches were updated into Network Southeast livery by my father some years later. 

The N gauge green Hymek and Class 22 from Dapol also appeal. Do the Dapol diesels have directional lights?

• Like 1