What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

1 minute ago, railsquid said:

Fleischmann will be fine; Lima N gauge stuff has unusually large flanges (though it's easy enough to change the wheelsets out for more modern ones)..

Awesome. Think a'll go git me some wheelsets tomorrow!

16 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Awesome. Think a'll go git me some wheelsets tomorrow!

I use Graham Farish ones mainly, the axles are slightly wider which means you'll need to open out the axle holes slightly, a couple of twists with an 0.8mm bit do it for me, YMMV.

I find it also makes a noticeable visual improvement as the Lima wheels tend to stand out.

25 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Fleischmann will be fine; Lima N gauge stuff has unusually large flanges (though it's easy enough to change the wheelsets out for more modern ones)..

I was going to just go to my local train store and ask for replacement wheels. Do you know of a good make/model of wheel sets that work well? Or do you find them all to be pretty much the same?

1 minute ago, railsquid said:

I use Graham Farish ones mainly, the axles are slightly wider which means you'll need to open out the axle holes slightly, a couple of twists with an 0.8mm bit do it for me, YMMV.

I find it also makes a noticeable visual improvement as the Lima wheels tend to stand out.

Ha, I was asking you just this question as your were answering it for me. Thank you so much!!  :)

Some more used eBay DB coaches.   All are Fleischmann.    The Restaurant came in the box and was listed as LNIB.   It is in very good condition.  The other two seem to be two generations of the same car.  One is missing a coupler on one end.  Both are in pretty good condition otherwise.    The two blue cars were $12.49 and $13.50 delivered, and the cream/red restaurant car was $14.99 delivered.   I am not complaining (especially with the price new cars go for in the US from Euro manufacturers).  I'll eventually have enough "matching" cars to be able to make a couple Era IV-ish trainsets.

large.q7TObFgyQ86yQXFjA5CSeA.jpg.dcdfbe3030ebb087619ef1874a2e0474.jpglarge.jlJH80IUTd2PzcBMdKRUvA.jpg.12a3297758412d73f36e70162b4e02d4.jpglarge.5a860fff936bc_y7QDUDh0RnibRwizktiRg.jpg.c467e4856520df18e9bf244531102a66.jpglarge.iwvJ3BraQ9irJQAwaEeUOA.jpg.53d77bbb83982862615e4d7967c62c7e.jpg

• Like 6

Not post, but after trading some unwanted OO stock I picked these up today:

I know the Minitrix Class 27 looks very little like the real thing, but I kind of like it. Runs very sweetly after a little oiling round, has working headlights but they only come on at warp speed. The Duchess is now behaving with the lead bogie staying on the track (even if one wheelset on there and two on the tender aren't turning). This would have been the case when it was new so there's a fair bet I'm sorting out a factory fault! Need to do some servicing on the J39 as it hesitates occasionally and won't run particularly slowly, it looks a little crude but the mechanical side would make a machinist nod approvingly. It's all metal apart from insulated wheels.

• Like 2

I need more red and beige or blue and beige DB stock. Have a Br.103, two Br.210s and a pair of Br.218s but not much to run them with.

I'm still being picky with the J39. Reattached the loose tyre on one loco wheel (it has tender drive so the loco wheels just spin freely) and trying to persuade it to run smoothly at low speeds. The Duchess needs a bit of tweaking to the tender pickups and one bogie axle to get the wheels turning, but runs perfectly. Farish locos always needed fine tuning.

The 27 meanwhile is embarrassingly good considering how clunky it looks! I foresee a couple of blue and grey Minitrix MK1 CKs to go with the BCKs I already have, and a blue Dapol CCT. Scottish passenger service with parcels vans behind.

15 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

I need more red and beige or blue and beige DB stock. Have a Br.103, two Br.210s and a pair of Br.218s but not much to run them with.

It is getting hard to find Era 4 red/beige or green-blue/beige wagons.  Most have been discontinued or not in stock.   I've bought a few closeouts and some eBay...

All I have is a couple of Fleischmann era 4 1sts, a restaurant car and a lone 2nd. Also oddments of Arnold stock - the ex-Rheingold dome car, the bar car and a single red/beige 1st. These are all earlier as they have black chassis. The Arnold bar and 1st would make a realistic TEE behind the Br.210 if I got hold of another 1st (the set formed to replace the RAm DMU after the Aitrang crash).

eBay purchase (USA).  Fleischmann 7380 DB BR151 Heavy Freight Loco.  Looks to be in good condition and looks to be a similar job for DCC conversion (compared to the BR103 and BR218).  Have not run it yet on DC.  Was about $82 delivered.

large.Bdws8g6nT5y6aPnfwDBaTw.jpg.49a1edfd609f9a13c84ba50a7879b0ab.jpglarge.nddFxhZiRsy8aQq1H9rBvw.jpg.229c52924f315786aa32319c2d0431fa.jpglarge.5a8f31c88ec7a_FSzEgPJRVaMKCOOigvRhA.jpg.8f40d1be49d2ac6b91ebdbe78afea359.jpglarge.5a8f31cb40bd1_i3JcxyKTYmYPQeXg3I8rg.jpg.4f523716edec055222611d5520cdf733.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

eBay purchase (USA).  Fleischmann 7380 DB BR151 Heavy Freight Loco.  Looks to be in good condition and looks to be a similar job for DCC conversion (compared to the BR103 and BR218).  Have not run it yet on DC.  Was about $82 delivered.

Awesome! But what are those weird wire coils? I've never seen those before. Are those just resistors?

Edited by gavino200
6 hours ago, chadbag said:

Got me one of those a while back, very nice solid loco. The original seems to be still in operation:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deutschland~e-loks~br-151/1047040/das-sieht-man-nicht-alle-tage.html

and was in its original green until at least 1994:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deutschland~e-loks~br-151/941511/151-032-mit-gueterzug-bei-oestrich-winkelrheingau.html

25 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Got me one of those a while back, very nice solid loco. The original seems to be still in operation:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deutschland~e-loks~br-151/1047040/das-sieht-man-nicht-alle-tage.html

and was in its original green until at least 1994:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deutschland~e-loks~br-151/941511/151-032-mit-gueterzug-bei-oestrich-winkelrheingau.html

Awesome, thanks!  I'll have to research this specific one a bit more.   The "green" pic is probably more updated than the model (DB logo etc are different).   Cool that they still had the older green though.   All the red gets tiresome :)

I remember in 86-87 when I lived in Germany and rode trains often you saw both the beige/colored ones, as well as the green and older locomotives, and wagons of all sorts.  Both the older and newer (at that time) were in regular use.  So I am just randomly looking for late Era III and Era IV wagons, and some Era V, to mate with my growing assortment of locomotives.

ETA:  

DB Cargo 151 129-4 und 151 032-0 Karlsruhe Gbf

151_032-0_Spessartrampe.JPG

Edited by chadbag
43 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Awesome, thanks!  I'll have to research this specific one a bit more.   The "green" pic is probably more updated than the model (DB logo etc are different).  

It's 1994 so the new Deutsche Bahn AG will have been freshly applied.

I try to stick to post-unification DR as that was when I started living in Berlin, but more than happy to pick up any random cheap-ish German stuff I run across in Japan (there's a fair bit floating about).

Talking of which:

39599854204_0d2578ebc4_z.jpg

Arnold BR194 (2230) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

40266047932_7544cfd166_z.jpg

Roco BR144 (N23394) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 2
13 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Awesome! But what are those weird wire coils? I've never seen those before. Are those just resistors?

I have a feeling that they're some sort of interference suppressor, but not sure. That's based on having fitted similar components between decoder and motor terminals while converting Marklin HO locos to digital with ESU kits.

17 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

I have a feeling that they're some sort of interference suppressor, but not sure. That's based on having fitted similar components between decoder and motor terminals while converting Marklin HO locos to digital with ESU kits.

Digging about a bit the technical term for those appears to be Drossel ("choke"), my electrickery is not so advanced that I could claim to know what they're for, but there seems to be some debate in German forums as to whether they need to be removed for DCC installation.

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

Digging about a bit the technical term for those appears to be Drossel ("choke"), my electrickery is not so advanced that I could claim to know what they're for, but there seems to be some debate in German forums as to whether they need to be removed for DCC installation.

Yeah, a "choke" is a form of inductor to remove AC from DC lines (based on the wikipedia entry for inductor).  Basically cleans up the line.

@railsquid

Those are awesome locomotives.

There is an E18 on eBay I may bid on, even though that is from too early a time.  I lived in S Germany (W Germany) from 86-87 and rode trains a lot, plus took a 3 week train tour in 1990, and also lived in Germany 91-93 for about 18 months, though I had a car then.  So most of my interest is what I would have seen or ridden myself, or would have been common, in the late 70s to early 90s period.   Because that is what I remember.  You get overlap in what was actually used, of course, so some of the older stuff like blue or green painted engines, older local traffic wagons, etc. are fair game as you saw them in the mid 80s, even if they had newer stuff or newer liveries...

Edited by chadbag
wrong model

I just wish I'd taken more photos during the 1990s, unfortunately at the time digital was still in the future and film was expensive for an impoverished student. Worse, ca. 1995-1999 I lived in an apartment (classic impoverished student apartment) which overlooked the main east-west line through Berlin (oh that classic Berlin S-Bahn sound), next to a coach maintenance depot, with a tram terminus loop (Tatras!) running past the building and a U-bahn viaduct visible in the distance.