Locomotive wheel cleaner

nah00

Anyone else use one of these guys? I'm still a fan of the paper towel with rubbing alcohol on it on the tracks method but this puts a nice polish on them. I was concerned about it chewing up traction tire or making scratches in the wheels but it seems the material is soft enough not to as long you don't run it at full throttle. 

post-3438-0-39243000-1494620343_thumb.jpg

We have some of these at the train club I go to, plenty of members seem to use them to clean the wheels before and after each run.  

Yes they do shred the traction tires. I also worry about the scratching up the wheels as there is the school of thought that micro scratches gives a better footing for crud to build up. While I've never seen empirical evidence and trach and wheel cleaning is a more religious experience for most it's hard to say. Does make sense.

My engine wheel cleaning is just use a feeder track to power one truck with the train upside down and the hit each wheel with one of these makeup wands with isopropanol on it. Fast and polishes things up clean fast. I can gently clean traction tires with this and not had one come apart yet. I use to have a block of wood with 2 slots cut for the flanges and two copper strips for power to be softer than the wheels and only contact the flange edge, but I've lost it and need to make a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Disposable-Lip-Brush-Gloss-Wands-Applicator-Makeup-Cosmetic-Tool-Beauty-/262948679643?hash=item3d38f66fdb:g:PiQAAOSwpkFY6S9G

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1