Amtrak locomotive maintain bldg.

Kb4iuj

Well, here ya go. New Orleans Amtrak maintenance Building

post-3263-0-19895300-1494380553_thumb.jpegpost-3263-0-24672900-1494380572_thumb.jpeg

Oh, and here's the CN building, too. Bear, in mind the train was really moving fast hence the low light.

post-3263-0-74628300-1494381256_thumb.jpegpost-3263-0-89782200-1494381274_thumb.jpeg

Here's some better angle shots of the CN building via Google maps.

post-3263-0-45557900-1494384096_thumb.jpegpost-3263-0-22209400-1494384110_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Kb4iuj

kb4,

if you open an image in photo and just crop it a little bit then go and upload that edited picture you will find its size then goes way dont for the upload. dont know whats happening but its a trick ive found to directly upload to the forum from ipad photos w/o going to the mac and downresing the image.

jeff

No, it just the NTSC resolution (pixels on the computer screen).

Note, the CN building. And the outside freezer - sweet.

You guys overseas... British Airways has a direct flight out of Heathrow to New Orleans, along with Condor Airlines out of German.

You might stay at a Hostel in a bunkbed with some roommates. If you need to save money.

If you haven't been to New Orleans well you really want to get there before they remove the General Lee statue at the St. Charles Streetcar "Lee's Circle"... Before they call it something else. Or remove the statue and put a huge water fountain where all the homeless people bathe at like at that fountain in Chicago. Hence, might be why a water fountain I came across on my recent visit was bone dry and some of the smaller city parks are like in decay to scare off tourist or to discourage walking thru the park.... In the Garden District near Camp & Colusium.

I might add, there are a few resturants all along St. Charles Blvd. where you can watch the Perley Thomas Streetcars go up and down the street. And there's a Streetcar line up Canal Street as well.

I might add, you want to come before July & August, when it's quite warm out. There or Chicago, it's just plain warm out. Though, there might be less tourist and come during the week as weekends, it's a mess. Like anywhere.

Edited by Kb4iuj

You guys overseas... British Airways has a direct flight out of Heathrow to New Orleans, along with Condor Airlines out of German.

You might stay at a Hostel in a bunkbed with some roommates. If you need to save money.

If you haven't been to New Orleans well you really want to get there before they remove the General Lee statue at the St. Charles Streetcar "Lee's Circle"... Before they call it something else. Or remove the statue and put a huge water fountain where all the homeless people bathe at like at that fountain in Chicago. Hence, might be why a water fountain I came across on my recent visit was bone dry and some of the smaller city parks are like in decay to scare off tourist or to discourage walking thru the park.... In the Garden District near Camp & Colusium.

I might add, there are a few resturants all along St. Charles Blvd. where you can watch the Perley Thomas Streetcars go up and down the street. And there's a Streetcar line up Canal Street as well.

I might add, you want to come before July & August, when it's quite warm out. There or Chicago, it's just plain warm out. Though, there might be less tourist and come during the week as weekends, it's a mess. Like anywhere.

But New Orleans is a hellhole. Been there. Done that,

Oh, and there is a lot to see on Bourbon Street. Ironically, on this recent trip I never got over that way. Hence, my trip back down on May 22-27. The trip in April was for the IPMS show at the Airport. If you have a folding bike like a Brompton bring it along and ride the Ferry across the Mississippi River and ride the levee North and go checkout all that river traffic and the New Orleans & Gulf Railroad. They do have some bike routes which will take you to some off the beaten path resturants. Though, in most cases you might save on the shipping cost airlines charge and just ride the Streetcars and do the bike thing another time. As like buy an all day pass and ride those things. Just don't stick your arm out the window as the trees are a bit close.

If you come, definately find a way over to ride the Airboats thru the swamps full of Aligators.

One can ride the city bus for $2 to the Amtrak station (from the airport) and get to there hotel/hostel from there. Unless, you want to dole out $40 and get right there... Best to see how the locals get around and really see New Orleans. DO NOT RENT A CAR. If your really adventuresome, fly into Memphis and ride Amtrak down and eat breakfast while the state of Mississippi goes whizzing by. Then, settle in to checkout all the train traffic on the CN.

This actually better than riding Amtrak down from Chicago thru the night. Do ride in "Coach", so you can see out both sides. Also, stay in Memphis for a day. Later this year their going to be re-introducing their Streetcars to their streetcar line... As they've all been rebuilt. Hence, you fly in you might be beat tired. But, refreshed after a long nap...to checkout Beale Street later that evening. Memphis does have a hostel but it's not downtown within walking distance of the Amtrak train station. Of course, do use a cab to get there and use that money saved on a decent meal to recharge your body.

Do buy a party size bag of Cheeto's for the train ride down and a bottle of water, liter size is idea.

Food on Amtrak is not cheap, but that breakfast will only carry you so far - though I guess they probably have cheap salads at lunch time to the tune of $9 and there might be a few chicken bits tossed in. It's always good to have something to munch on.

Back in the day (1960's). The black folks out of Mississippi enroute to Chicago would buy a bucket of KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) as the whole family rode the train up and eat on all that chicken. Hence, they called "The City of New Orleans" the chicken bone express. Thus, good luck on trying to find a KFC near the Amtrak train station... But, if you got on with a bucket in Memphis and rode in Coach you would be one popular person as everybody would smell it.

Edited by Kb4iuj

New Orleans is a unique place. Hanging out around Bourbon Street and not exploring the Garden District and looking at all the fancy homes.. Did you go down Frenchman Street and checkout some of those Jazz Clubs. I have yet to get over that way myself but had a Brit couple as roommates in the Hostel and they really liked some of the Jazz they were hearing. Hence, I doubt if it was this Dixieland stuff that New Orleans is famous for. But, I can agree New Orleans is a big damn city... You just gotta find the pockets of creativity as most big cities really know how to suck the money out of a persons pocket.

So best come with a camera and if you don't like that idea. Get the GoPro chest mount and walk around with that thing on so as to re-evaluate your route when you get home. I did that once up in Chicago as that's one place a person needs to be on a folding bicycle. Not so much as New Orleans as the Streetcars take you to some of those neighborhoods. Did you checkout the Norfork Southern yard or the CSX ? Do ride the ferry ($2) across the river to Algiers, if you walk along the levee "South" I'll bet you can get a great Po'Boy sandwich and drink for under $5. Just know the ferry will get you two bucks coming, two bucks going.

But, walk thru Algiers.... In fact I have to look up the Algiershistoricalsociety dot org.

Anybody that just goes to New Orleans to party will typically be sadly disappointed with the place as they probably paid way too much for the booze or stepped inside one of the many strip clubs and doled out some of their hard earn cash for what they thought was a knockout. Who as one of my other roommates noted they really push you to buy more booze. Hence, get these fools drunk and we'll steal all their money away.

New Orleans is the Streetcars. Look at the streets and buildings via Google Maps. Then, model it.

And when you show up in person ask if you can get a floor plan or have a look around. I guess you could model a strip club, but good luck telling your wife or dragging her in there with you to get a visual of where the chairs are vs the couches. Though, go by in the morning as they just might have breakfast less any nudity. Laugh, the strip clubs in Alabama along the interstate serve breakfast and it's a deal.

Just don't be a chump and hand over your money because you want to see some action. The best action is watching them drive to work in all those BMW convertibles, as wonder who paid for those things. Or what's even funnier is checking out the guy she is with.

Edited by Kb4iuj