3 Day Japan Excursion

serotta1972

This is Japan :D it's shown on the website:

http://jptower-kitte.jp/floor_info_en/index.html

I imagine it would be open as long as the restaurants on the same floor are (just avoid the "wellhole" on 3F ;) )

I'll check it out next time I'm in the area.

The terrace:

34783275721_86496ebf6c_z.jpg

post-office-building-terrace by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Some views here. Tip: if you want to take pictures on a bright day, go around midday, in the afternoon the tracks were in shadow (I imagine that'd be the case from the other direction in the morning).

• Like 2
serotta1972

Very cool, thank you Squid.  It looks like right now I might be spending a day just going to viewing sights for trains and exploring stations.

serotta1972

I just purchased my 7 Day Japan Rail Pass and a Suica card.  I'm counting the days when my miniature Japanese trains come to life.  :)  

• Like 6

I just purchased my 7 Day Japan Rail Pass and a Suica card.  I'm counting the days when my miniature Japanese trains come to life.  :)  

Have fun mate! I can only IMAGINE the excitement!

serotta1972

Got my voucher and Suica card on hand! Yay, hoot hoot, I'm just a little excited!  :)

post-2776-0-78583700-1499920742_thumb.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 6

Excitement! It's the best parcel ever!

I didn't know you can now also order Suica card online and have it delivered to you... convenient! 

Awesome, great planing ahead!  What does sucia cover that the rail pass doesn't? 

"All" non-JR railways and city buses.

• Like 1

I paid $21 and it's pre-loaded with 2000 jpy.

Cool! Now you need this:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10379001

Awesome, great planing ahead!  What does sucia cover that the rail pass doesn't? 

"All" non-JR railways and city buses.

Suica beat me to it... Basically metros and buses, and you can also use these Suica cards on certain vending machines!

Cool! Now you need this:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10379001

I got this one. :)

post-3895-0-56612600-1499930601_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-89112100-1499930610_thumb.jpg

and you can also use these Suica cards on certain vending machines!

Oh right. Basically most stores inside stations accept Suica payment as well as most Conbini in general.

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

Got my voucher and Suica card on hand! Yay, hoot hoot, I'm just a little excited!  :)

attachicon.gifIMG_5495.JPG

Congrats.  I went and picked up my rail passes today also.

I paid $21 and it's pre-loaded with 2000 jpy.

Same place wanted $35 AUD for a 2000 jpy Suica.  I said I'll get it in Japan thanks.

• Like 2
serotta1972

I finally made it to Japan - our flight to the Philippines was cancelled so my arrival was pushed back a day but the silver lining is that instead of arriving late at night on Thursday, I arrived today at noon and actually gained half a day in Japan.  I took full advantage and after taking the Narita Express to Tokyo, and after getting lost a little bit in the station I hopped on the Yamagata Shinkansen Super Express and headed to Yamagata.  Day .5 - Narita Express and E3-1000 New Tsubasa Color.  

• Like 7
serotta1972

Today's summary: woke up at 4:30 am and looked outside and it was already light out so I got up and got ready a day of "Nothing but Trains" 1:1 Scale.

E231 Yamanote Line - Ueno Station to Tokyo

N700 Hikari Shinkansen - Tokyo to Shin-Osaka

225 - Shin Osaka to Osaka

232 Osaka Loop - Osaka to Tsuruhashi

Kintetsu Urban Liner Next - Tsuruhashi to Nagayo

N700 Hikari Shinkansen - Tokyo to Shinakawa

E233 - Shinakawa to Tokyo

E5/E3 Shinkansen Asuna - Tokyo to Oyama

E2 Asama Shinkansen- Oyama to Ueno

I started at 6 am and got back to Euno station around 8 pm. I spent about 15 minutes just hanging out at the platforms in Shin Osaka and Osaka station and saw a bunch of 321, 221, 223 and I believe 683.  On my way to Osaka, I got a glimpse of the new Twilight Express as it ran the other way.  I got on the Osaka Loop line and rode the new 323, it was very nice.  I stopped at the Tsuruhashi station as I decided to ride a Kintetsu train back to Nagoya.  I am spoiled with the JR Pass and how convenient it is and this time I had to get a ticket for the Kintetsu train.  To make a long story short, I got a ticket for a train that was leaving in about 5 minutes and by the time I got to the platform - I hesitated when I saw people in line thinking they were waiting to get in the train but they were actually lining up for the next train and the train closed its doors and left.  It wouldn't been perfect too because it was the Series 21000 Urbanliner which was one of my first Japanese trains - I thought these were already retired.  The next train was in another hour so I got something to eat and drink and just hung out on the platform and every Kintetsu train must've come through so it worked out as I got to just watch trains come and go every minute it seemed.  The ride form Osaka to Nagayo was very nice as it went through lush and pretty scenery as well as riding along roads and very close to houses.  In Nagayo I went up to the JR Central Tower and looked down on the approach to the station and then I hung out at the different platforms and got to see some my favorite trains - of course the 313, 383 in full formation, Kiha 85's in 2 different formations and also a Kiha 75.  On Monday I plan to ride the 383 from Nagano to Matsumoto.  I got back on the Shinkansen and stopped in Shinakawa to ride a different commuter train and rode a 233 but forgot what line it was.  It was still early and decided to take ride another Shinkansen to Omaya and rode the E5 coupled to an E3, I had a reserved seat on the E5 - I actually thought about getting on the E3 and it was the old Komachi color too but I already rode an E3 yesterday.  The E5 was very nice and the seat is like a recliner, at first I was like - where's the footrest and pleasantly surprised with the  leg rest.  At Oyama, I hung out at the platform for a good 30 minutes before the next train would come but again, it was good thing being up there.  It was a smaller station so most of the trains would run through so I was treated to 5 shinkansens flying by 3 - E5/E6, E2/E3, E2 and an E7 out of service.  Watching them fly by through was amazing, what a great way to end the day.  I've been very spoiled with the my JR Green Pass - all my shinkansen rides so far have been on green cars and my last ride of the night was on a older E2 and non reserved seating.  It was a good day!  Staying true to my mantra - "Nothing but trains".  :)

• Like 15
serotta1972

This would not be possible if I had the family with me - taking full advantage.  Also, plenty of opportunity for rest while on the train and on boring parts. The JR Pass is great because I can go to all the platforms and hang out.  

serotta1972

Day 2.5 - another early start and on my way to the station I was propositioned by a nice looking Japanese lady, I just smiled and kept on walking.  :)

E231 Yamanote Line - Ueno to Tokyo

E4 Max - Tokyo to Takasaki

Kiha 110 Hachiko Line - Takasaki to Komagawa

Series 205 Hachiko Line (Electrified Portion) - Komagawa to Hachioji

E233 Yokohama Line - Hachioji to Shin Yokohoma

N700 - Shin Yokohama to Shinigawa

E233 Keihin Tohoku Line - Shinigawa to Nishi-Kawaguchi (Visited Nariichi and his shop)

E233 Keihin Tohoku Line - Nishi-Kawaguchi to Omiya (Visited the Railway Museum)

New Shuttle - Omiya to Railroad Museum (I thought this was specifically for the Museum as it's like a kid version of a commuter train but it's the real deal)

E5 Shinkansen - Omiya to Ueno

Couple of of highlights of the day: Riding the Kiha 110, the sound and rumbling of the diesel engine when it accelerated was really cool.  When we were leaving Takasaki, got a glimpse of the  D51-498 as it looked like it was being prepared for an excursion run and the passenger cars were lined up too.  The ride from Takasaki to Komagawa was beautiful as the Kiha 110 cut and wind through farm lands and hills.  I really enjoyed it and so much so that I didn't even realize the that the 60 km ride took almost 2 hours, lots of stops at little stations.  Another highlight was visiting Nariichi and his shop and he showed me LED project.  I was able to find a couple of new items that I hesitated to pre-order partly because I'm unsure of the items but after seeing them in person and able to hold and examine them, I got them despite the price.  I wouldn't have bought these items if I didn't see them first hand.  Been said many times on the forum but Nariichi is a super nice guy and I will have a package waiting for me when I get home.  I ended my day visiting the Railroad Museum at Omiya - it was a lot of stuff, should've gone earlier as I was pretty tired and didn't get to fully enjoy all the exhibits.  

I must be wearing some kind of Japanese people repellent because when I walk through a crowd they part like the Red Sea and then I realize I'm walking on the wrong side, big dummy!  :)

• Like 5

Sounds like a super busy day, again. I really gotta pay Nariichi-san a visit as well next time.

Bit man, what's with all the N700 Hikaris you're riding? 

I rode a lot of Shinkansen in Japan, but I never got on an N700 (except the N700-7000 & N700-8000 varients on Sakura services).

I only ever saw them on Nozomi services (which I don't use due to the Japan Rail Pass).

Have they already scrapped that many 700 series sets within the 11 months I haven't been there?

serotta1972

Today, I had planned on riding the Keikyu line but the Hachiko Line ride was much much longer than I had anticipated so I skipped it and got on the Shinkansen back to Shinigawa where I got on the Keihin Tohoku line to get to Nariichi.  As I was waiting for the train, a 700 Series comes by but all I've seen in the last 3 days have been N700A's.  Yesterday I saw the Twilight Express and today I saw the Train Suite while I was on the Keihin Tohoku train and then again sitting at the JR yard when I returned from Omiya back to Ueno.

• Like 2
serotta1972

Day 3.5 - A trip to Nagano - Matsumoto and back to Tokyo.  I added a little diversity to my day - I actually did something touristy and visited the Matsumoto Castle, it was very cool as you get to climb up to the very top of the castle and get a 360 view of Matsumoto.  Another thing I did today was go into an eating establishment and have a sit down meal, I been eating bento boxes on the train and on the platforms since I arrived.  After the unexpected shopping, I ate at some restaurant by the entrance of Akihabara Station on the 4th floor and was able to sit by the window looking down at the station platforms below.  I'd say it was a perfect way to end my day and pretty much my trip as I will be flying to the Philippines tomorrow.

W7 Hokuriko Shinkansen - Ueno to Karuizawa

115 Series Shinano Railway - Karuizawa to Ueda

W7 Hokuriko Shinkansen - Ueda to Nagano

383 Series Shinano Limited Express - Nagano to Matsumoto

E351 Series Super Asuza - Matsumoto to Shinjuku

E233 Series Chuo Line Rapid - Shinjuku to Ochanomizu

E233 Keihin Tohoku Line - Akihabara to Ueno

Riding the W7, 383 and a 115 completes the list of trains I wanted to ride.  Thank you Japan - everything was beyond my expectations!

• Like 9

Amazing whirlwind of a trip junior! You packed a lot in and sounds like a very nice way to finish!

Cheers

Jeff

serotta1972

Ah, as all things - it must come to an end, but as General McArthur once said - "I shall return", but I think he was referring to the Philippines to which I am at now.  I still had a little time to do some more train stuff before I left.  I got on a Shinkansen to Tokyo and made sure to ride in an E6 and I did.  In Tokyo, I wanted the see the station from the outside as I have just been running around inside and hanging out on the platforms.  Wow, just wow - I sat in the plaza just admiring the beautiful architecture.  It was suggested that I take the Skyliner but since I have the JR Pass and I really like the Green Car accommodations of the E253, I went ahead and rode it again.

Thank you to all for all the wonderful suggestions and tips - it made planning less daunting.  Next time someone is going to Japan - I might be able to suggest a few things. :)

-Junior

• Like 1