Looking for replacement chassis tor Old Kato Motor Cars

kmcsjr

Folks

I have  a few sets 10-195, 10-807, with the Kato 4048, (motor built into the floor) chassis  drives. On the oldest(10-195) , I think either the motor is failing, or i'm having contact issues. Is there a standard chassis I can buy, ala 11-103 - 107, except that it fits these units?

I'm trying to decide between a dab of solder or kapton tape and a decoder, but before I finish breaking something, I'm wondering what my options are.

Thanks

(Anyway, 10-195 has always been a favorite, I wish I could find 10-196 and 10-197, except....)

Edited by kmcsjr

Follow up. It might be that the cups on the motor shaft are slipping? It doesn't have the pulling power, it takes more power to pull the 8 car set and when I slow down it's hesitant... any suggestion that I might glue the cups to the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kmcsjr

It may be that the motor brushes are dirty. I've never had slipping UJ cups but I have had motor brushes jamming with carbon gunk. If it has the same design as the later motors you can pop the end caps off, remove the brushes and springs, clean everything and reassemble. I find a bit of paper towel rolled into a point and soaked in lighter fluid is perfect for cleaning the inside of the brush tubes and the commutator.

I have what is probably the same motor in a 153 Series. It's a little bit louder than a new one but runs smoothly with a twelve car train.