Akita 90's

Wildphill

Planing on a layout based around this area in the early 90's I've seen some pics of trains formed of series 50 coaches both short and long anyone know of any specifics such as type of locos were used and what sort of emu's where operating there back then? Or point me to a website for info thanks.

• Like 1

I started with google and looked for Akita city in Akita. The page has a link to the JR station, which has links to all connected lines, which have info on past and present rolling stock. Not to mention former amd still existing connected private lines.

For the series 50 cars, you can look up all the locos that ran with them and then use the loco pages to check which ones had depots in the selected region.

What I was thinking of was electrifying the Oga Line and boosting the population of oga to justify some express and blue train services extended from akita and also have a docks branch for freight

• Like 1

You can list the possible emu-s and blue trains that ran from Akita station and put them on your upgraded line, however that would make it a mostly fantasy line placed in Akita. I think you could get away with some express dmu-s and diesel hauled blue trains without changing too much.

Actually found one photo that might interest you. It's not a blue train, but a red one:

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/sun75777/40015726.html

And some other photos with some taken at Oga station and the surrounding private sidings:

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fk51667760/folder/471763.html?m=lc

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/lunchapi/62536997.html

If you check the aerial photos on google, the branch that went towards the docks is still visible as well as the turnouts at the end of the original station that was cut back into stub tracks when the dmu-s took over the line and serious freight was discontinued.

The Japanese Wikipedia page on the Oga Line says that, in addition to DMUs, until 1994 DD51-hauled passenger trains also ran on the Oga Line. In earlier years these were probably old wooden coaches, but in later years 50 series red coaches.

The DMUs used on the Oga Line nowadays are mainly KiHa 40/48 DMUs in the Oga Line livery, although Gono Line livery and JNR livery ones also seem to pop up once in a while. It looks like at least KiHa 20 series and KiHa 55 series DMUs ran along the line at least until around 1985, but other JNR DMUs have probably also been there.

Until around 1980 seasonal 'Oga' night expresses to Ueno ran on the Oga Line with 'Blue Train' coaches. Until 30 March 2001 there also were freight trains, towed by DD51.

For a 90s Oga Line layout DD51, 50 series coaches, some tanker cars and KiHa 40/48 looks appropriate. That's all if you want to run exactly to prototype though. If you want to add in some electrics fitting in the area, you should look at those red AC 20 kV ED type JNR locomotives, such as the ED77 for example. These also ran around plenty with 50 series coaches and freight trains. You should look into Ou Main Line trains in that case.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

It would be fantasy but red electrics is what I like, I got my first way back in 2002 from jrmodels in taunton when I didn't know what it was.I do like the look of a ef64-1000 but ed75 wins still. I must say though those ed77's and the line the operated on sound interesting. I want some sort of terminus for the operating potential and a branch so I can get continuous running for fun but I'm not a great fan of multiple units though(why model Japanese then?) I do like a 489. Early 90's so I can keep it realistic to practice if not prototype but also sneek in some of the privatised liveries.

• Like 1

I don't have a layout, but if I did, I'd flexibly focus on a particular geographic region and era.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  And if you treat the time range flexibly enough, you can have one of these :grin

After some google'ng I am know thinking of moving to the senzen line in 1990 with ed78 and ef71 hauling the trains, does anyone know of a link to a track plan for one of the many switchbacks on this line? Edit my mistake switchbacks on ou main line

Edited by Wildphill
Wildphill

Long dormant post, have decided to go with a 8' by 2' layout based on ou mainline , will start a new thread when actual progress is made

Edited by Wildphill
  • Like 3