How long should motors last?

Markn

Probably a silly question but something I was thinking about was, how long do the motors in Kato N and for that matter Tomix last? Not going flat out but just gently run. In layouts of old (00 gauge) I can't ever think I've replaced a motor maybe the odd brush but that been it.

Thanks.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I would say a 1000 hours of operation could be a good top value. Since many N scale motors have no replacable brushes and may contain plastic drivetrain parts, this is a good value for the whole chassis. I would say that most models probably don't run this much in their entire life. The maintenance interval depends on the running and storage environment (dust, humidity, etc.) and the running speed and usual train load.

• Like 1

Thank you. I'd suspected that the motors would be sealed. Can you get replacement motors? I have heard that the gears don't need lubrication as they are low friction on Kato locks. I'd that right? Many thanks.

Thank you. I'd suspected that the motors would be sealed. Can you get replacement motors?

Sometimes, and sometimes (particularly for multiple units) there's only an entire replacement chassis available.

I have yet to have a Tomix or Kato motor fail on me, not that my stock has had many cumulative hours running on my layout, but much of it is second hand, sometimes 20+ years old, and works just fine (sometimes after a bit of light maintenance).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

One more thing: Many japanese N scale motors (mostly the Tomytec range) are rated for 12V DC only, so you should never run them above this voltage (they are really fast at 12V anyway). Kato motors are more tolerant of 16-18V, but they don't like it either. Running trains above scale speed is a sure way to damage them. In DCC, this 12V translates to 14V DCC track voltage which is btw. the NEM standard.

Also it's a good idea to use current limiters (usually built into most japanese controllers), so a short could not damage the trains. (this is a good idea for all N scale, but japanese multiple units which often have all wheel pickups on all cars are especially in danger of bad controllers or improperly wired layouts)

• Like 1

I don't run my stock at anywhere near top speed. I will be sticking to DC and using Kato controllers.

Mark,

you might take things apart and clean everything you can and add a tiny very drop of light weight machine oil to the motor bearings. trucks can get gunky so taking them apart and cleaning well and then relubing can also fix sticky mechs as well. little ultrasonic cleaner is great for this. 

Like squid ive never had a motor go, when ive had problems its usually lubing or dirty truck or dirty tracks and/or pickups. ive found no reason why some need more attention than others. sometimes its a train ive only run a few hours has issues, others dozens of hours. ive never noticed any particular brand being worse than the others for random problems, but with fiddling, cleaning and lubing ive always gotten them resurrected.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

The trains that I purchase from an importer also come with a note saying: Engine does not need maintenance.

Though keeping your track clear of dust and gunk (with the help of tomix cleaner cars) is always a good idea.

• Like 1

but some do need maintenance now and then. some end up sucking stuff up in them. ive had two trains run a lot together on the layout and one will need some maintenance but other not at all.

jeff

• Like 3