Kato D51 2016-3 Drawbar repair?

gavino200

it is the connection to the workbench that gets you! i used a strip of 1/2" velcro and that does not detach being pulled sideways. best would be a small velcro piece on a cut in the neck loop so it could be a break away!

i tend to be lazy most of the time doing something quick with tiny bits and just have a small like 2' square piece of black velour that i throw on my lap. this usually stops the dropped piece and is easy to use in a quick second. velour is good as small bits tend to get stuck on it pretty fast and dont bounce as much.

jeff

Jewelers bibs are great when working with small parts that go sproing! Only thin you have ro remeber is to take it off before you stand up. Like the second time I used one I forgot and won't ever forget the second time...

Jeff

I'm actually tempted to get one. It sure would save on the amount of time I spend searching the workroom floor! I'm sure I'll get some ribbing from Wifey and the boy. "Off to work on the trains? Don't forget to wear your bib!".  :laughing3:

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

I finally got round to this repair. Looks like it worked pretty well. I drilled a small hole in the bar, and threaded some stripped 30 gauge wire. Then twisted the wire and clipped the end to shorten it. Finally the shrink wrap. Heat wasn't an issue at all. 

Now to DCC this thing! Fingers crossed.

Wire tension band in place

4YYI6at.jpg

Shrink wrap before heat.

KsrKxyo.jpg

After shrinking.

JypBNKF.jpg

In place on loco.

QgznuR2.jpg

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 3

Not in stock at HS.  But they only just released a few new varients of the D51 this year.  So spares still should be available.  Maybe ask Dave L1H or Nariichi MTP to acquire it.

Thanks. If there's any problem with this repair, I'll message Narichi. I'm planning to pass wires to the tender for the conversion, so not having the copper strips isn't such a big deal.