Low Bridge!

bill937ca

Well they didn't even survive a year...

I can however report that the road cones are (quite sensibly) sheltering on the pavement.

yurakucho-missing-lights-2018-03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

The traffic people should just paint the concrete with reflective paint and admit even in Japan there is no shortage of idiots. Of coures the road cones should be brought back into action.

Edited by Jcarlton
5 hours ago, Suica said:

Noooo, Warning Light-san! :'^(

His only regret was that he only had one bulb to give for his bridge. We will miss that stalwart samurai guardian.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Suica said:

Noooo, Warning Light-san! :'^(

I propose we make him the forum mascot, in memory of his sacrifice for the good of Japanese railways.

• Haha 4

Ok who is making kiha the mascot costume to wear? Maybe it should just be a road cone. We want a video of him going thru a BART fare gate.

jeff

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ok who is making kiha the mascot costume to wear? Maybe it should just be a road cone. We want a video of him going thru a BART fare gate.

No no, we need to send the Cone-chan costume around with the world tour car, so each member can pose wearing it while holding the train!  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

No no, we need to send the Cone-chan costume around with the world tour car, so each member can pose wearing it while holding the train!  

Send it to squiddy and have him personally guard Warning Light-san wearing the costume.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Suica said:

Send it to squiddy and have him personally guard Warning Light-san wearing the costume.

Best idea yet! Should it be a blinking light costume or the road cone?

jeff

Four weeks later, the lights have still not been replaced.

To bridge the gap (hah), here's a set in a similar configuration at Kanda station, sensibly cowering behind two big plastic tubs filled with water.

kanda-station-bridge-warning-lights.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Cowering does seem very appropriate! Almost looks like it’s trembling...

jeff

Come now. It's a brave bridge.  :toothy11:

Edited by bill937ca

No not the bridge trembling, the poor lights that seems to get clobbered continually even though backed up by a large concrete bridge support! But I guess it’s back is to the wall so to speak and all that can happen is crunch between a car and a hard place...

jeff

Maybe if they made the light actively threatening the cars would run away. Mold shark heads for the warning light cases or something. Or a giant Maneki Neko with a huge waving cat paw and claws. All painted as brightly as possible.

And let's have a big hand please for the latest potential crash victims flashing lights:

yurakucho-lights-2018-05-25.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Haha 3

Shall we start a pool on how long these will last and be replaced by the poor road cone again?

jeff

On 8/5/2017 at 11:38 PM, railsquid said:

Dude, this is Japan. People do not simply steal road cones.

Real story: 3~4 years ago some work was done on the road I live on, the construction company left behind a pile of 6 (six) road cones. They are still there, and visible on Google Street View (though two have been inofficially reappropriated to create an ad-hoc no-parking zone next to the kindergarten opposite).

Three years later, said road cones are still there - in the meantime 5 had been reappropriated to expand the ad-hoc no-parking zone, until just before Typhoon 19 hit last year, when I decided it would be prudent to neutralise potential projectiles around the neighbourhood and stacked them together, where they have remained untouched ever since.

Unfortunately I no longer regularly pass through Yurakucho, but I was there a couple of weeks back and happy to report the flashing warning lights are still in place (though who knows what dramas have occurred in the last couple of years.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4