US Style Unitram

bill937ca

For those modeling the US here is a US style version of Unitram. The crosswalks are still wide Japanese style.Image source: Kato USA Facebook page March 20. No information was provided on release date or price.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17362573_228230617644778_7939363801518667258_n.jpg?oh=f8c030aa47aaeb8106189ce02f5579ee&oe=59541280

Edited by bill937ca

Too bad they can't fix the bizarre way that two lanes suddenly become one at the corners.  Why don't they just bevel the ends of the blocks.  Granted it wouldn't be ideal, but somehow seems like it would be less silly than the current arrangement.

It isn't their product, but that would also allow enough space to run the bus along with the tram when desired.

I don't think I've ever seen a bike lane parallel with a crosswalk.  Maybe they did that out of guilt at not having them where they're really needed.

Actually these new boards look more or less like modern european standard (except the yellow line, which is white in europe). The bike crossing is usually painted exactly like this. (yes, the real bikers are complaining too) The narrow turning lane is actually not so narrow as the markings indicate that the inner lane is strictly for going straight or turning the other direction, while the outer lane should cross into the loading gauge of the tram tracks for turning. This and the thickness of the boards is what makes them unusable for Tomytec moving bus system operation. Overall the boards look perfectly normal for an european modern tram setup too, just don't try to add any moving buses.

I wonder if this is a shot at doing us and euro right hand running streets to get both markets at once. Also wonder if they are going to come out with a set of us street accessories for these as hinted at. There are few good modern street accessories like this I've seen around. But parking meters would not be appropriate for the unitram streets unless they have the no parking during commute time signs.

A dremel tool with the router plate attached can cut the appropriate wire groove thru the plastic fromthe underside. A few on the forum have added wire to their unitram plates successfully.

Jeff

• Like 1

Published on May 18, 2017

Shipping at the end of May 2017, Kato USA will be releasing a UNITRAM track oval set (previously only available in the appearance of Japanese style streets with left handed roads and Japanese road details) with a North American prototype appearance. With larger slab concrete sidewalks, right handed roads, and revised street lights and other roadside details this set is a great standalone or it can be combined with your existing UNITRACK layout!

You can get more information about Kato UNITRAM set, other track pieces, and related accessories on our website - http://www.katousa.com/N/Unitrack/UNI...

Read about Kato's available Light Rail Vehicles (available for order through your local hobby store or from Kato USA's online store) here: http://www.katousa.com/N/JSE/LRV.html

Contact your local hobby store to order the new V60 UNITRAM North American street track oval - Don't know where your closest Kato retailer is? Visit our shop finder! http://www.katousa.com/recommended-de...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOxlJphPWrM&t=3s

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I have two Kato V60 North American sets as well as all of their Japanese sets.  In order to create a modular street track and road plate system with as few as possible molded parts, Kato made many design choices and compromises (such as the narrowing of the turn lane discussed above). The two different track widths (25mm & 33mm) for the 45deg curves was another strange and interesting choice. Surprisingly, after setting up many Japanese trackplans, I now greatly appreciate Kato’s cleverness in these choices and compromises. Many of the Kato choices were necessary in order to create a void-free system with accurate street printing.  Competitor Tomytek’s system is geometrically more simplistic, creating voids and avoiding printing. However this allows Tomytek more flexibility for the experienced modeler and for parallel running of busses.  I think the V60 is also very good, given Kato’s choice of ~post-1980 North American street markings (versus ~1950) and their constraint of changing only the printing on the Japanese molded parts. Some accuracy compromises are necessary in locating the specially-molded North American traffic lights, parking meters, posts, newspaper stands, etc... into the provided holes. I am hoping for North American versions of some of the most necessary extension sets or parts.  I am also hoping for some North American trams.  I have a You Tube video on my V60:

KATO UNITRAM V60 Accessorized

Edited by cteno4
YouTube embed
  • Like 2