E231 Coupler

Rmsinsd

..yeah, I broke one! So here's the problem. I bought my Kato E231 four years ago. Back then, I didn't know about Google Translate. Not reading the manual, I did the wrong thing to uncouple the cars and broke a coupler on an end car. When I recently tried to replace it, I found out the coupler replacements are out of production. All I need to replace is the floating part itself, not the housing.

So, if anyone has encountered this same problem, I'd be grateful if they would share any solution they arrived at.

Kato E231, item #10-594, coupler part #4581C3 (I think).

[Edit] I see Kato 4586C3 is available. Is the movable part compatible with 4581?

Edited by Rmsinsd

Since it's still in production they should still make the replacement part. Looks like HobbySearch has them in stock:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10151353

4586C3 would probably work, the only difference between the two is the piece that slots on the bottom of the car, you push the coupler box out of that by pushing down on the two tabs sticking up. 

Edited by nah00

Thanks everyone for your patience and particularly to nah00 for the info on HS, I'm just learning the various available resources to support my addiction! I'd been told by another shop that the couplers were out of production.

• Like 1

..yeah, I broke one! So here's the problem. I bought my Kato E231 four years ago. Back then, I didn't know about Google Translate. Not reading the manual, I did the wrong thing to uncouple the cars and broke a coupler on an end car. When I recently tried to replace it, I found out the coupler replacements are out of production. All I need to replace is the floating part itself, not the housing.

So, if anyone has encountered this same problem, I'd be grateful if they would share any solution they arrived at.

Kato E231, item #10-594, coupler part #4581C3 (I think).

Correct, as indicated by the Assy parts sheet. A quick search inidicates it appears to be available in Japan.

They are very common across the whole Kato range.  I remember my Kyoto Line 321 had one broken when I received it.  I just brought a 2 pack set from another train.  The coupler comes in 2 or 3 colours.  But the spring and the all the housing bits are all just generic.  Only the underbody piece that clips onto the chassis is unique to the train.  Bit that is never the bit that breaks.  So as long as you get the colour right, you can buy just about any coupler set for any train.

Edited by katoftw
ATShinkansen

I'm guessing these are the same couplers used on the Kato's other MU trains. I read the instructions (Google-Translated) and... if I'm processing it correctly, does it really say to just pull them apart? I've just been using my thumbnail to disconnect them.

Thanks everyone for your info. In case others read this thread, I did find an alternate solution. The original coupler had a prong and socket arrangement with a tiny (read fragile) hook underneath. I had twisted the cars while disconnecting them, and the hook part broke.

When I started this thread, I had already ordered what I hoped would act as a replacement, Kato 11-731. The picture made it look similar. Well, I just got them today, The old and new couplers didn't match. The hook is gone, and the socket and prong are larger - a stronger design. However, I just replaced the old broken one and a matching one on the adjacent car. The new couplers fit the underbody piece just fine. Yay, back on the rails.

Edited by Rmsinsd
ATShinkansen

I took a gamble last night and tried uncoupling my KiHa 111/112 according to the Google-Translated instructions—and sure enough, it worked! (I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of it.)