Great Shinkansen documentary (but see it soon!)

Sacto1985

YouTube user naopapa0719 posted this very interesting documentary movie on the construction of the Tokaidō Shinkansen line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXCsfxB7dkU

I'd recommend you see it soon or save it before YouTube likely takes it down. It's got a lot of interesting things in it: the construction of the new tracks at Tokyo Station, the construction of Shin-Osaka Station, the construction of the Shin-Tanna Tunnel west of Atami Station, the construction the viaducts along the way, construction of the truss bridge over the Fuji River, a VERY clear movie of ceremonies of the start of service on 1 October 1964, shots of the train passing Atami and Shizuoka Stations, and so on.

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 12

Really great doc! Makes you realize how great a project the original Shinkansen project was.

Jeff

• Like 1

Wow! Such an hi-quality movie for the 1960s... As soon as i get to my computer (i'm writing from my phone) i'll go download it.

Edited by Socimi

Imho the best scene is the steam locomotive pushing the series 0 shell towards the test facility shed while a 481 series emu goes past them. The 4 car and 2 car series 0 test consists were also nice, but the control center and ATC explanation was really interesting. The before/during/after view of Tokyo station taken from the same location is also something i've never seen until now.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Sacto san for sharing this video. :) I myself has not yet watched the video but was able to manage to download it. Would be a nice weekend to watch a nice shinkansen video like this. :D

Hi, yes this a great video, this is taken from a DVD which was given away in Japan Railfan Magazine May 2014 issue.

Wow! Such an hi-quality movie for the 1960s... As soon as i get to my computer (i'm writing from my phone) i'll go download it.

Just goes to show its not about the bells and whistles its about the content and story -- that is timeless! That stuff gets lost these days so much with all the tools there are and inserting "drama" into the story. Its about a good story and good shooting/editing.

jeff

• Like 2

Just goes to show its not about the bells and whistles its about the content and story -- that is timeless! That stuff gets lost these days so much with all the tools there are and inserting "drama" into the story. Its about a good story and good shooting/editing.

jeff

Thinking about that NHK video a while back, if they had stuff this good, why did they have do all that expensive crap.  The quality of this footage was as good as  it gets, it's all original and I can't believer that NHK's researchers are so bad that they couldn't find it.   

It's coolness. Unless you do what everyone else is doing these days then it's no good. Obviously this is wrong as good is timeless, but these days unless its new and improved (sorry innovative) it's crap. Ken burns proved you could story tell really well with compelling narration and pan and zoom on a static photo and do great work. But even then that was ruined by megasizing and amping the drama too much in the end!

Jeff

Great documentary. Thanks for sharing!

Imho the best scene is the steam locomotive pushing the series 0 shell towards the test facility shed while a 481 series emu goes past them. The 4 car and 2 car series 0 test consists were also nice, but the control center and ATC explanation was really interesting. The before/during/after view of Tokyo station taken from the same location is also something i've never seen until now.

Those are actually Class 1000 test trains, which makes it even better. I've never seen colour film footage of them. Even photos are somewhat rare.

• Like 1