701 Series?

KomachiMaster427

KomachiMaster427

I've seen videos of a model of the 701 series EMU, but can't seem to find a model of it. I'm wondering if it's something that someone took spare parts and made or if it's an actual model that a manufacturer makes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KomachiMaster427

Yes, the JR Series 701 is what I meant. Since they are out of production, is there a Kato model that looks similar that I can use as a substitute?

I suggest trying Yahoo Auctions or another place that handles second hand model trains in that case...

KomachiMaster427

Would it be prototypical to leave the AC unit on top of the front car for some sets of cars to be run on the Yamagata Line?

Edited by KomachiMaster427

Would it be prototypical to leave the AC unit on top of the front car for some sets of cars to be run on the Yamagata Line?

If you mean by 'Yamagata line', the Ōu Main line, the 701-5500 Series there are different from any other 701 type, as the bodywork and electrics are suited to Mini-Shinkansen standards (as well as 1,435mm gauge bogies).

Here is a blog that talks about the conversion from a Kato E127 to a 701-5500: http://komakamo.seesaa.net/article/251035577.html

A 701-5000 however has been made by MicroAce, but that one is only used on the Tazawako-line (Akita Shinkansen).

KomachiMaster427

Is it possible to replace the roof with that of an E231 or E233 so that there aren't holes in the roof from where the AC unit was attached?

Is it possible to replace the roof with that of an E231 or E233 so that there aren't holes in the roof from where the AC unit was attached?

It surely is possible, but if it's feasible is another thing. If you're going to modify a model you need to prepare for strange bodging and research into the prototype. The elements you're going to use need modification anyway, so it's best to research first and then attempt to conversion with the materials you can get your hands on easily.

KomachiMaster427

It surely is possible, but if it's feasible is another thing. If you're going to modify a model you need to prepare for strange bodging and research into the prototype. The elements you're going to use need modification anyway, so it's best to research first and then attempt to conversion with the materials you can get your hands on easily.

I may be able to just cut that section of the roof out and replace it with styrene, but I don't know how I would be able to match the ribbing on the rest of the roof.