Sahashi 153s?

Just wondering if anyone has diagrams for 153 Series units with Sahashis?

I have the old Kato 153 pack with the Saro and Sahashi, also two extra dummy Moha pairs and a Saro 163. Anyone know where the Saros and Sahashi would be placed in the formation, as diagrams posted by both Kato and Tomix don't show the restaurant cars?

My guess is something like the 165 Series with the Saros and Sahashi coupled together in the middle of the train, but all the diagrams show only pairs of trailers between pairs of Mohas.

For a roughly forty year old chassis the motor runs superbly, and the more recent cars are an excellent colour match for the old pack too.

bikkuri bahn

My guess is something like the 165 Series with the Saros and Sahashi coupled together in the middle of the train

Your presumption is correct.  They were coupled adjacent to each other mid-train.  In the case of the express "Washu" (early 1960's?), a pair of Saros were sandwiched on both ends by Sahashis.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84153%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A

Thanks, that link is a lot more informative than the english-language Wiki version!

Looks as if I have the formation further down which (if I'm interpreting Google Translate correctly) was used to cover for late introduction of some Shinkansen services.

Also confirms my suspicion that some 153 Series stock was converted into other EMU types, although I'm not sure if any were a case of a bogie swap and a new interior (even though the bodies look identical between Saro 153/163/165 and Sahashi 153/165). Most of the rebuilds seem to have been more a case of "turn it into a Kuha".