Club layout stalled - April Fools

cteno4

Well ive not posted much on the new JRM layout progress in the last week or so as a few members started to gripe about the new layout plan saying they did not get input (not true everyone was asked for input and had various checkins and votes an these folks approved all the way down the line). I was just working hard to get all the woodwork done (ive got the only woodshop) done before Matthew leaves and was sort of ignoring it.

Well that was not a good idea as at Matthew's club going away party here at the house this last weekend, folks visited the shop to see all the finished shiny new modules about ready to go and the faction upset about the layout plan apparently has been forming a hard block and they revolted on the spot. It was not ugly but it was sad to have happen at Matthew's going away party as he did most of the work on the planning of layout 3.0 (no one else volunteered) and it was his last time with the group (he and his wife are moving back to Albuquerque this weekend.

It was enough of an upset from a small minority that most members decided to put everything on hold now and rethink what we will do for the next layout. This puts us in a big pickle as we have already sold a club member the layout (he is loaning it back to us for the last showing at the Sakura Matsuri festival this weekend) and also few others in the group have designed and/or built larger layouts so its going to be hard to get a new design up. Im stepping out of the whole process as ive spent a couple hundred dollars on wood and many evenings creating the new modules and I personally think the new plan is spot on what we need, as its pretty much what we did at the Grand Central Terminal Japan Day show and that was a smashing success. I will be happy to pick up and keep working on the current plan if they decide that, but it looks like its going to go into months of rehash to try and keep the upset members happy (im not sure they can be made happy as they have many conflicting wants). The club wants to give them a chance to try to come up with something, but we shall see how long that may take. Im just frustrated, tired and ready to walk away...

So sadly i wont be posting much on layout 3.0 probably till the fall im guessing.

[sigh]

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

So sadly i wont be posting much on layout 3.0 probably till the fall im guessing. 

[sigh]

jeff

That's a huge bummer Jeff, always a disappointment whenever internal politics distracts from running trains as a group.  Hopefully it will all work out, it would be a huge shame if your beautiful modules went unused. 

Sounds like Washington business as usual Jeff ;-)

The JRM Freedom caucus strikes again.

Maybe just use all the modules you made as your home layout . . .

I may just do that as this layout could fit nicely in my basement... may just finish the layout for myself and screw the club.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

> and screw the club.

Maybe hold onto that thought, but ask them to find another volunteer with a woodshop if they want to change the plan at this late date.

If they now want something other than what was agreed to, and you unselfishly worked on, then let them build it.

"(im not sure they can be made happy as they have many conflicting wants)" - why does this sound so familiar?

Claude_Dreyfus

Sorry to hear about this Jeff. Sadly it does happen a lot in clubs, decisions are made in full consultation, but there are always those who say nothing, let it fester and then get upset; complaining that they had no say. All the more galling is that the woodwork is underway and money (and your time) has been spent.

Easiest thing in the world for people to say 'this isn't what I want', but particularly for a club there needs to be compromise and the understanding that not everyone can be happy all of the time; boy do I understand that as I am a member of a club with any number of interests, and two distinct factions. We all get on well, but there have been times where the committee have needed to lay down the law.

What is the position of your club committee on the matter?

It sounds like you have lost a particularly active member with Matthew, and it sounds like the club run the risk of loosing a second. That would be a pity.

Best of luck getting this sorted out, but I think by stepping back for a little while and letting them get on with it is probably the best option. You can then make any future decision with a clear head.

Lol but even in DC it wasn't quite 12am yet.

Jeff, it must be a bummer to go through all that. Looking at the bright side, you had lots of fun building the modules and they will be of use no matter what happens. :) hope it picks up sooner or later!

I wish it were April fools, I've been stewing on this all week since the club party last week.

The layout is sectional so it's an odd assortment of modules that lock together so hard to modify the track plan much. What they want are pretty antithetical to a sectional layout as well. Tried to point this out but they are adamant they can make it work, so they canntrey.

I'll post a plan of the planned sectional track plan when I get back to the computer. I was just about to start a new thread on the layout construction when all this happened. Please no plan suggestions for the others as I fear outside involvement will only rattle their cages more...

Off to help Matthew put the last stuff in the moving container and they then drive off into the sunset west. That was sad enough to deal with.

Jeff

Junior,

Well I can't accept your apology as it was an April fools joke!

All is well with the club, no freedom factions! We are progressing on the layout as planned.

Matthew is indeed leaving, that bit was real and sad. He was a big force in the club.

Sorry just had to do it, it's fun to figuratively destroy the club every couple years for the for the day, war of the worlds radio broadcast is an old favorite of mine.

So far the club has been destroyed via Akitas and chipmunks, presidential invitation, car

Just had to do it...

Cheers,

Jeff

Ok you can all blow raspberries at me now, no vegetables please!

• Like 2

Congrats Junior, you were the only one who caught on to his ruse!  I was totally taken in!  Well done Jeff.

serotta1972

Haha, he had a more elaborate story last year - I realized this morning that it was April Fools Day.  

Simpler is better... everyone can imagine things like this happening. Happened with the presidential invite as well...

Jeff

Actually I already do that, I was famous for it in grad school late at night in the lab. Scared the bajebees out of a few folks that came in late rarely and were not aware of my predilection...

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1