Eizan Elipse

It’s like a bad movie ist so bad it’s now mesmerizing! I guess it’s flashbacks to grad school and seeing the Residents one too many times and still listening to their music. The eyeball, the eyeball...

jeff

Edited by cteno4

I found videos of these trains at the factory yesterday.  Looks like a good way to scare the beejevers out of your spouse or kids.

• Like 2

The more I look at it the more I’m strangely drawn to it. Definitely is unique! It does remind me so of the residents’ warped look at reality.

jeff

• Haha 1
TCC Railroad

I'll take pictures when I ride it in September and share them with you all, so go buy your barf bags now.

• Sad 1
TCC Railroad
44 minutes ago, Densha said:

My condolences.

Maybe it will look better in real life...one can hope. If not, then it is even more important that I share it so others don't have to go through the agony of seeing it up close and personally. It just goes to show not everyone in Japan has good design sense. Another stereotype blown to smithereens.

Gordon Werner

So Eiden is about to start passenger service on their recently refurbished railcar "Hiei" for use by tourists et al between Demachiyanagi and Yase-Hieizanguchi (maybe all the way to Kurama on occasion as well?)... (https://eizandensha.co.jp/hiei/

Before:

Outside:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Eiden_732_20150409.JPG

After:

Outside:

Before:

Inside:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Eiden_731_inside_20140627.JPG

After:

Inside:

Edited by cteno4
  • Confused 2
Das Steinkopf

It looks like the designer was on Acid or had some real funky mushroom stew when they thought up this one.

• Haha 2

I think that’s why I’m starting to like it, but then again I watched a lot of Gumby and pokie as a kid...

jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Das Steinkopf
3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I think that’s why I’m starting to like it, but then again I watched a lot of Gumby and pokie as a kid...

jeff

Were you the “typical” Residents fan in your youth Jeff?

LOL, I’m not sure there is anything “typical” associated with the residents! They appeal to a very odd range of folks from what I’ve seen. I know they were big down under. It is a weird crossing of performance art, music that goes at you an odd way and that alternate look at reality. I grew up around the Bay Area so knew of them and heard them on the odder stations in high school and college. In the Bay Area they were not considered all that strange, but that’s SF. I got to know them better once they went into performance art while at grad school in Berkeley in the 80s and latched onto them then. But still it’s a very acquired taste for most so I usually could only blast it in the wee hours after midnight in the lab with a few others and once the janitors were done with our floor...

I tried to convince the multimedia company I was working for to approach them to do more cdroms, but we were going public at the time and the new ceo just did not think the residents mixed well with names like Cousteau and Asimov...

im sure all the Gumby and Pokie in the formative years made it easy and fun to view the world oddly w.o massive drug use later. They certainly make for interesting shuffle play with my eclectic music library.

jeff

Das Steinkopf
On 11 March 2018 at 4:38 AM, cteno4 said:

LOL, I’m not sure there is anything “typical” associated with the residents! They appeal to a very odd range of folks from what I’ve seen. I know they were big down under. It is a weird crossing of performance art, music that goes at you an odd way and that alternate look at reality. I grew up around the Bay Area so knew of them and heard them on the odder stations in high school and college. In the Bay Area they were not considered all that strange, but that’s SF. I got to know them better once they went into performance art while at grad school in Berkeley in the 80s and latched onto them then. But still it’s a very acquired taste for most so I usually could only blast it in the wee hours after midnight in the lab with a few others and once the janitors were done with our floor...

I tried to convince the multimedia company I was working for to approach them to do more cdroms, but we were going public at the time and the new ceo just did not think the residents mixed well with names like Cousteau and Asimov...

im sure all the Gumby and Pokie in the formative years made it easy and fun to view the world oddly w.o massive drug use later. They certainly make for interesting shuffle play with my eclectic music library.

jeff

My first exposure to the Residents was in the mid 1980's when I was working on the railway, a guy at one of the workshops that I would have to look after was right into them, Gracie was a rather unusual character and was probably the closest that you could get in real life to Phineas Phreak from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. I was never really into the Residents but I did take a passing interest in them as I have always been into the more alternative music scene, I did however get right into Australia's answer to them TISM (This Is Serious Mum). They are probably best known for their song (he'll never be an) Old Man River which gained infamy over singing about the death of River Phoenix, the song was actually about the bizarre obsession of celebrity deaths. Their earlier stuff was heavily influenced by the Residents, their adoption of a variety head coverings to disguise their faces ranging from simple Balaclava's to ones that looked like Ku Klux Klan outfits pays homage to the Residents.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

Wow! residents meet devo on wayy to many cappuccinos! Fun how these all evolve into other cultures. its funny i got to see devo one of their last appearance when things were unraveling at a spontaneous outdoor lunch show at uc berkeley. was one of those things not announced just happened and i happened to be walking by the plaza when it was starting and though, is that devo? and sure enough 50 minutes of best of. it was sort of a shock to everyone.

oh man Phineas Phreak an the Phreak brothers spins a few neurons! not thought of them for a long time! MAD was usually tolerated but freak bros got you in trouble, so it was of course something that made it even better to early teenager years here in the 70s. 

Resident are actually touring thru here and i may just have to go its only $35 and a pizza dinner show to boot. ill have to look at some of the newest stuff as i have not kept up with them the last decade much.

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
Nick_Burman

After looking at the pictures my mother said it looked like a slot machine...

Cheers NB

• Haha 2