lighthouse first layout

lighthouse

Hello guys,

after planning a layout for a few months, which finally failed, i started to build the kato-layout nr. 03-5. http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/plan/plan03-5.pdf

It is a easy layout, but i want to learn a lot of techniques to create a modelrailway. I have a small collection of JR Hokkaido-trains you can see on the picture.

There are still missing a few tracks in the centre of the layout to park trains.

post-2772-0-52648300-1490535500_thumb.jpg

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 10

This is a simple design layout, but I am pretty sure it will give you a lot of joy. You can watch your trains running up and down, you can easily change them from the yard, plenty of option. Please keep us updated about the layout building process! :)

@IST - I think it was the best idea after 3 years of planning and failing. :-)

@locidm -  yes, i planning a littlte station on the straight line in front. But i wanna try kitbashing, the original buildings of KATO are to monotonous.

The layout is a little bit larger then the original plan, six car-trains can run now. The size is 2000 x 1000 mm, the framework was buyed here and was not really expensive.

Last weekend i glued the framework with cork, so it is now calmer.

(red for station-platform, yellow for tunnel, green for missing tracks)

post-2772-0-25984500-1490598013_thumb.png

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 1

I think it was the best idea after 3 years of planning and failing. :-)

I looked around here for your previous (failed) plans and couldn't really find them. Could you share a link to them?

@kvp - i´m new here, but in another forum i was planning since last year http://www.ig-nippon.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1148 . Another track plans was planning at home in this 3 years, after changing from scale 1:120 to 1:150, with wintrack and scarm. I don´t upload all trackplans at this forum. Here some examples:

http://www.ig-nippon.org/download/file.php?id=2755&mode=view

http://www.ig-nippon.org/download/file.php?id=2876&mode=view

http://www.ig-nippon.org/download/file.php?id=1667&mode=view

Edited by lighthouse

Du bist nicht berechtigt, diese Seite anzusehen, von ihr herunterzuladen oder auf sie zu linken.

It looks like the same non member download limitations apply there as here... (i tried to register, but it's still pending)

:icon_scratch: i don´t know why but i see the pictures without register?! Here it goes again!

post-2772-0-28659000-1490612044_thumb.png

post-2772-0-91657200-1490612045_thumb.png

post-2772-0-50467000-1490612048_thumb.jpg

Edited by lighthouse

Thanks! This is interesting as you seem to have tried to apply continental european layout design rules to a layout based on japanese prototype. For example the middle drawing has an interesting feature: The visible station has a track (the nearest) that is clearly designed for runaround operations. For multiple units, it's essentially a stub track. The hidden yard has stub tracks only, so not really usable with trains that have to be run around to reverse. I could not find the prototype station, just the one referenced for the hidden yard (Mokoto on the Senmo main line).

The Kato layout you selected seem to offer more interesting operational possibilities than the discarded ideas above, so i think choosing it was a good idea.

The middle drawing was a prototype of a fictive station in the northeast of Hokkaido (Sekihoku Main Line) and the stations Sagayama, Mokoto and Iwaodake are names of the regional mountians between Engaru and Kitami

I was planning a shuttle-traffic with 2x DD51+7x containerwagons+DD51, 1x DF200+7x containerwagons+DF200, 2x express-trains like Okhotsk KiHa 183, 2x dieselcar like Kiha 40, but it was boring after check the traffic

Edited by lighthouse

@IST - I think it was the best idea after 3 years of planning and failing. :-)

@locidm -  yes, i planning a littlte station on the straight line in front. But i wanna try kitbashing, the original buildings of KATO are to monotonous.

The layout is a little bit larger then the original plan, six car-trains can run now. The size is 2000 x 1000 mm, the framework was buyed here and was not really expensive.

Last weekend i glued the framework with cork, so it is now calmer.

(red for station-platform, yellow for tunnel, green for missing tracks)

Mine is exactly the same size, but is a temporary layout.

I agree, the Kato buildings are quite boring and inflexible. Enjoy kitbashing! I'd love to try that one day but don't have the skill or the time to learn/build. However, with the relatively simple track plan, I was able to run trains in no time, which provided the motivation to move forward little by little.

That looks like a nice frame! I assume it came unassembled? Enjoy!

However, with the relatively simple track plan, I was able to run trains in no time, which provided the motivation to move forward little by little.

That was the idea, little by little. I think that also a small layout can cost a lot of money, who can deal with this size so soon? The accessories must also be edited, like rearview mirrors on the cars and buses, it takes a lot of time. And if you have been planning for more than 15 years then you don´t want to rush at the same time completely.

The frame I bought as a kit, the way of 2 hours drive to the manufacturer was still ok. But the kit was very passable and justified the price.

Edited by lighthouse

Nice little layout, only change I would suggest is moving the double crossover to the rear (purple lines show about where), it'll give more room for the station in the front and you won't have back-to-back switches. 

post-3438-0-16441700-1490985685_thumb.jpg

Edited by nah00

I think the double crossover is on the right place, the most vehicles are used as 3- to 5-car units can stop here. 6 and more car-units are only used for video recording or while watching long trains.

Sometimes i think about the trackplan of locidm, the turnout of the tracks in front are an option. But i think to european :rolleyes:

Edited by lighthouse

The current location means that trains can come out of or enter the yard with a minimal amount of wrong-way running.

After almost a month, the last tracks and turnouts have arrived. Now I can begin creating the disconnectable sections. In the meantime, the epoch has also changed. I will now focus on the early JR Hokkaido. This time allows me to use the ED76-500 next to the newer vehicles like EMU series 785. The diesel vehicles are used for a later modular system based on the Nemuro line. This will take some time.

• Like 1

Hello, by private changes I had to give up my idea of ​​a stationary model railway. However, there was still enough space for a small mobile possibility. These can be stored on a shelf because of the dimensions of 800x200x30mm. The former station / main station "Hariusu" on the Hakodate Main Line was modeled here as a mirror image. The segments are designed here to be mounted on the floor or on a long table. Turnouts and Flex-track are planned with KATO-Unitrack. Here I can also try the different techniques in the construction without a big damage in the screw-up. The track will be set 20mm higher for the stability and the appearance of a protective wall in front of the sea. The Fiddleyard will be a free 4-track version for short use. These segments are only for short-term use at meetings, for playing at weekends and for creating videos on Youtube. But this solution is clearly better than no model railway :-)

post-2772-0-84093500-1499880766_thumb.jpg

post-2772-0-04143300-1499880768_thumb.jpg

post-2772-0-58149400-1499880769_thumb.jpg

post-2772-0-26204000-1499880772_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello guys,

after a few months of stressful work, I was finally able to draw my plan today. The basis is again the former stop "Hariusu", only that I have turned the old plan again. For the substructure I will use, instead of a thin frame, my old modules. I have these in stock for a long time. The tracks will be combined with Kato-Unitrack and Peco, especially the switch in the visible range. I did not present the overhead line because it was too stressful for me to draw. Attached you see the track plan, 2 photos of the 3D plan and a picture of how the overhead line can look like. (The overhead line has recently been completed on my photo module)

Gleisplan.png

Plan Foto 01.png

Plan Foto 02.png

IMG_20171119_225004.jpg

If the question arises, why the track plan is designed as a pure route. Although I got the permission of my partner to build a model train, only my place was very limited. The system is divided into segments and can only be completely set up at weekends or at exhibitions.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 7

I like the plan Lighthouse!  With that yard design and some simple arduino controlled relays you could easily automate the layout too, for running during shows.  I really like he overhead catenary, very well done!  How did you make the wires?

The overhead line has been created in etching by a good friend. He drew it himself on the computer and last weekend we had installed my ordered etching plates. I myself was very surprised by the effect.

In the future, however, I have to build stable masts for catenary, Tomix and Kato are too soft.

The catenary is quite nice indeed, but I see some kinks in the wires above it hanging from the insulators.  You might consider using EZ Line:

• Like 1

@velotrain

At the beginning I also thought of a stretchable wire. But at the weekend I quickly decided against it. I used 100% elastane to tension. Unfortunately, it was a mess to wrap the thread around the insulator. The wires in your video are certainly very good at first glance, but the wires seem to me visually too thick.

I've never heard of elastane, but suspected that line was actually a wire vs. thread, as I thought the photo shows some kinks in it.  The EZ Line video does appear to show the same line being used for O, HO and N scales, so that would make it thick for N.  Also, there are some applications where you would want some drape to the line, which this does not provide.

I expressed myself awkwardly. In the US it is called spandex fiber for sewing. I was also considering using a 0.50mm thick nylon thread, but I had not found a chance to buy it.
For the project, I will eventually resort to nylon threads, because the very thin copper wires are extremely sensitive.

• Like 1