My Main Station Module

wasunka

Hey guys, I finally got around to the initial test setup for my main station.  It is similar to Bernards, but I always have to do something a bit different.

Like he did, I'm using a pair of the Kato overhead terminals, with intent to bash into one unit.  However, I want mine to only partially overlap.

My station is 1.86m long, end to end on the turnouts.  There are four 248mm straights in the sidings.  I still need to get a few more pieces, as usual.

It is to be a 6x TTrak module.  I'm still deciding between a single piece (which I can handle and transport - I already have a pair that size) or a pair of 3x sections.  Decisions, decisions.

Notice along the front are some Tomix piers.  I want them, with stores, etc. to be tucked under the front siding.  A few more need to be ordered, too.  Then, from the end piers, a tram loop is envisioned to run from behind, across in front of the stores, pause, and then disappear behind.  If I can make my ru21 (Hi, Jeff!) work properly, there will be two different trams, and they will alternate directions across the front.  Love those Tomix spring switch turnouts.  Details another time.

I'm glad August is here.  My Tomix LRV trams should ship shortly, as they are due for release this month. <BG>

Now, it's time to get back to finishing some other new modules.  They will center around a Texas interpretation of a big city.  Remember, the biggest thing within 200 miles of here is a whopping 200k pop, so I'm playing a bit fast and loose with my visions, but at least I like where they are going.

Later,

Joe

post-186-13569923067068_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569923068477_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569923069363_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569923070207_thumb.jpg

Joe - Thanks for posting the photos, it give a great idea of your project. I now see what you were talking about when you said you were going to off-set the stations.

I not sure if I understand what you are going to be doing design wise with the stores but I look forward to seeing the results.

That is an impressive project you've started!

Joe,

hey looking great! is there a reason to stagger the two buildings? may look more like one structure if they were to fuse up along the whole end wall.

two 3x modules may be hard to split the platfroms!

cheers

jeff

Split or not, the terminal will be removable for transport and storage.  With 3x sections, they will split right on track joints.

Right now, I like the offset look, but that may change.

Now, to figure how many of just what to add to the piers, tram trackage, ...

I am building a very similar Module. I use double length Modules which are 620 mm long. My target is that i can transport all Modules in a suitcase so i didn't built any longer modules. I use 2x248mm and 1 x 124 mm track section In total the station will be 6x620mm long as one Module each is required to bring the track from the front to the centre. So the Station itself is distributet over four Modules. As the station Platforms are a multiple of 248mm one platform  need to be inserted during layout assembly and cannot be fixed on a Module. Thanks to the S-joiners its not a big issue but will limit the scenery a bit. Same for a double crossover which lays on two modules to save space.

I am quite busy so my project is on hold.

Well, it's been a while, and a lot of other ideas have come and gone.  Some were built, some are in process, and some (mercifully) have gone away.  Permanently, I hope.

Anyway, the Main Station module pair is coming to the fore in the construction queue.  The under track structures are moving to other modules.  These pictures show about the same views as before, but now the track is on the final module bases.  These are triple length (3x) TTrak modules.

To fit the front siding on the modules, the main tracks are shifted 66mm to the rear.  This places the front siding in the same place the front main usually occupies.  I didn't want it any closer, for 'plunge protection.'

The track arrangement is based on the diagram in the information card with the #6 turnout.  I adjusted the overall length to a pair of 3x modules since this exactly fits the TTrak module system.

The plan is to use single track pieces to maintain a uniform appearance across the modules.  The doubles in the pictures were used to help track alignment for now.  Power feeds will be placed on one module at the center jiont of the pair.

As mentioned before, I do plan to cojoin the two overhead terminals into a single structure.  A few more platforms are needed.  I tried to get them, but I wound up ordering the wrong ones.  Oh, well, . . .

I don't know, but I don't forsee very many more buildings here, due to the narrowness of the module.  Perhaps a few small stores crowding the ends, but that remains to be seen.  And, I think it should be referred to as a 'Commuter Station' rather than as a 'Main Station.'

Later,

Joe - imagining the Gulf coast from semi-arid West Texas

post-186-13569924158168_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924158929_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924159595_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924160243_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924161045_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924161714_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Joe - I look forward to you "kitbashing" of the main station. It's been a while for me to continue on my station with my work situation. Are you also going to light the interior of the new station?

Light the interior?  That's a possibility.  There is enough molded interior detail to make it worth checking out.

I 'invested' in a couple of cheap Xmas 'cool white' led strings in the post-holiday sale, just to provide 'donors' for such ideas.

Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath.  I'm slow, and somewhat busy, too. 

Joe

CaptOblivious

Looks great! Will you have additional modules for realigning the right of way?

And, no need to apologize here for slow updates! You move quicker than I do

(Pining for the gulf coast-and fresh seafood- from landlocked Missouri)

Initially, no, I'll just set the modules forward to align the tracks.  Since we run a lot of our TTrak modules single-file between end loops, there is plenty of table room without hanging the fronts off the front edge.

The offset modules may happen a bit later.  I have made some for the club's TTrak-HO layout, and many have commented how they like the 'snaking' of the trains through the bends.  The only problem right now is time.  We have the first of our spring shows in about 10 days - or is that daze? - from now.

If/when they happen, they will probably show up here, as well.

Hey, Cap'n,

I just went checking back in my notebooks and found the chart of S-Curve calculations.  Since I'm primarily using Kato Unitrack, I based the charts on their pieces.

If an S186mm has an R282-15 on each end, the offset calculates to be 67.3mm.  Using R315-15's, it is 69.6mm.

So, averaging the two, by using R282-15 on one end and R315-15 on the other of the S186, that should be about 68.5mm offset - close enough to the 66mm desired.  The respective length are 326mm and 343mm, for an average of about 335mm.  Extremelu doable, very easy.

Just thought I'd add this to the pot and stir it.

Joe

I got a start on them late last week.  It's finally warm enough in the shop to do something besides shiver.  The modules now are about 1/2 complete on the scenery.  The track is laid, the grassy areas done and the pedestrian walkways almost complete.  I have started bashing the two terminals into one, and it is going easier than I expected.  A few more hours and it will be run at the show two weeks from now.  Complete, no way, but decent.  I'll try to get some pictures tonight and tomorrow.

As for correcting the offset, well, the modules have "told" me that what I had as the front is the back.  So a different offset will be needed, a bigger one.  No big deal, I just need a bit of time and some simple trig to figure it out.

Joe

Here's the second attempt at posting these pictures.  Something barfed in the middle of the last time, and it all went 'poof.'

I think this joining of the two makes sense from the view of passenger flow between the two platforms served by the station.  Otherwise, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

post-186-13569924411302_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924412005_thumb.jpg

post-186-135699244132_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924413867_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924414531_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I like how you're reconfiguring the station. When I did mine, I was worried about cutting the styrene because some of the walls need to be filed down. It looks like you got a nice smooth join. How do you plan to match the roofs up? That gave me a little trouble.

I like how you're reconfiguring the station. When I did mine, I was worried about cutting the styrene because some of the walls need to be filed down. It looks like you got a nice smooth join. How do you plan to match the roofs up? That gave me a little trouble.

Honestly, I'm almost to the point where the roof panels will tell me what to do. ;-)  When that happens, there will be more pictures.  Anything from modifying the existing to new scratch with styrene is possible right now.

I have run out of time for anything new.  Working more (I'm a sub teacher) and two weeks until showtime tell me to just make sure what is "finished" still works.

Martijn Meerts

What did you use to cut the bits out of the walls? They look like really clean cuts.

Not sure how the Kato buildings are, but I know the Tomix ones have thick plastic walls, and aren't easy to cut through.

What did you use to cut the bits out of the walls? They look like really clean cuts.

Not sure how the Kato buildings are, but I know the Tomix ones have thick plastic walls, and aren't easy to cut through.

I used a Zona Saw I bought a couple of years ago in some hobby shop back east.  Now that I have one, I wouldn't do without it.

Guys,

I have been playing around with the Any Rail program and my N scale terminal module design.  The first thing to note is that the module size is 930mm x 365mm.  That's the same depth as a corner, the max depth allowable under 'normal' conditions.  Of course, this is only half of it.  The terminal building bash will sit astride the central joint between the two sections.

The first drawing is the basic terminal module.  I originally had expected to use the narrow side as the front, but "it decided" the wide side is the better choice.

The second drawing is flipped, and the offset track back to the 'proper' position is shown.  The offset starts with a double feeder track.  It almost occupies a double length module.  I'm thinking it should taper along the back edge to match the typical module depth on each end.

I checked my tables of S-curve calculations, and found that using R381-30 curves with an S124mm  straight between them is a good fit.  The S124 scales out to a 65' straight.  We have run reliably over reverse curves with tighter radii and no tangent track between them, so I think that will be fine.

The desired offset is within 2mm of the (mathematically) desired amount, very negligible.  The length is 8mm shorter than a double module.  That can easily be accommodated by cutting a couple of straight pieces to 70mm. 

Overall, with the offset sections, it's about 10' long.  That's for an idea that started at 2' and just grew.  Oh, well, as I've said before, the modules tell me what they want to be, not listen to what I want.  Ever been there?

So, this idea looks even better than I had expected, with long sidings for trains passing trains.  I just wish it could be somewhat ready for the show in two weeks, but probably not.  As a sub teacher, I'm working six of the eight school days before setup, so my time is gone.

Joe

post-186-13569924420036_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924420679_thumb.jpg

I guess this should be called a Commuter station, but oh, well . . .

I have a bit more done on the station.  With the exception of the main roof, it's pretty well fitted together.

A bit of cutting on the window piece of one side was necessary.  Overall, this next step wasn't hard, once I had time to sit and lok it over, and let it tell me what needed tom be done next.

A few pictures are attached.  It is shaping up much as I had wanted to to do, so I'm moving towards the happy camper side of this project.

Joe

post-186-13569924730615_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924731377_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924732072_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924732768_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569924733481_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That station looks great.  Are you going to paint it or add lighting or anything? That all-white interior seems to call out for a little paint and some passenger figures, although I'm not sure either would be particularly visible from the outside.

Thanks.  I'm thinking of an LED on top of the clear ceiling and a number of figures.  I'd rather keep the painting to detail forms in the station rather than the whole thing.

I think that the white interior would help figures show better under lighting.  Any comments about lighting experiences would be appreciated.

Joe

Joe - Very nice Kitbashing. When I did mine, one of my stations was the older model where the glass was set inserts in the windows. I like your results.

Thanks.  I'm thinking of an LED on top of the clear ceiling and a number of figures.  I'd rather keep the painting to detail forms in the station rather than the whole thing.

I think that the white interior would help figures show better under lighting.  Any comments about lighting experiences would be appreciated.

Joe

joe

looking nice!

you might want to think about sanding down the rounded ends of your leds. this will diffuse the light better and not give you the bright beam that tends to be a bit overpowering in a structure. you can also add some detail easily on places you might see an interior wall (especially when lit) by printing out some wall details like lower and higher wall colors with a hand rail in the center, posters, art, vending machines, etc. just print out and glue on interior walls. 2D works great in this situation as you wont really see the 3d through the windows. some little wall details like this breaks things up a lot inside and gets it away from a glowing white room when lit!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

I have put figures in mine, and also used the stickers provided to give a bit more detail inside.