A slice of Akihabara with a serving of London.

Wonderbolt

I have finally started my new layout (Well I started a few weeks back with the construction of the baseboard).

The project is a simple N gauge duel loop as space is quite limited. It will be split into fives separate scenes, Two "long scenes" (using the straight track parts of the layout) One being loosely based on modern day Akihabara district of Tokyo whilst the other side will be a 1980s London scene (not sure about where but most likely a third rail line). The other smaller scenes will be a generic Kanto region of Japan scene, a South Eastern England scene (Kent or Sussex yet to be finalised) and New Mexico desert USA scene.

So what the layout will be is effectively five dioramas, as this will allow me to run three stock sets on one layout (Japanese, BR Blue and Santa Fe stock) and means I can cut any curved track from the main two Urban scenes.

Here are some pics of the current state of play.

The Baseboard after construction:

DSCF2317_zpszkzkyyyc.jpg

An with the track added (Only half of the layout has overhead wires the other half will be 3rd rail or non electrified).

DSCF2322_zpsoydffepz.jpg

Playing trains:

DSCF2318_zpskizekbq9.jpg

A close up of my E231 and E233:

DSCF2319_zpsexkzjkkq.jpg

The next task is to add the scene dividers and find an appropriate back scene image for each of them and to get another Kato controller.

• Like 10

A novel idea. I can imagine the JR/BR split, but it's not clear how and where you're going to fit the US part in.

A novel idea. I can imagine the JR/BR split, but it's not clear how and where you're going to fit the US part in.

Its going to be very small (effectively utilising just a corner) 

This is how I plan doing it (forgive the quickly done diagram)

SIMPLE%20LAYOUT%20PLAN%202_zpsso4lp2o7.p

Interesting concept, but the viewable part of the US scene would be very small so you either have to run tail chasers or it would be quite a lot of idle time between each lap when a train shows up or you might not be able too see the whole train due to the small scene.

Interesting concept, but the viewable part of the US scene would be very small so you either have to run tail chasers or it would be quite a lot of idle time between each lap when a train shows up or you might not be able too see the whole train due to the small scene.

It will be very small, however that play into its favour as it should make smaller train consists look better, am only going to get a few US trains so that why it's the smallest part.

Ok, i see the idea of a slower train turning up once a minute for 15 seconds as it's only a small slice of a scene. (and running for 45 seconds behind the divider)

What do you plan to use to cover up the transition points? (the holes on the backscenes)

Sounds like a perfect candidate for T-Trak.

I was thinking the exact same thing! It's good for modular building, as you can easily replace modules if you get tired of them, replace them with other track layouts, and/or if you want to work on hard to reach details on them.

Ok, i see the idea of a slower train turning up once a minute for 15 seconds as it's only a small slice of a scene. (and running for 45 seconds behind the divider)

What do you plan to use to cover up the transition points? (the holes on the backscenes)

i don't think i will be running a time table service as such, mostly what i fancy running o. That day. Yep tunnel portals will be used through the deviders.  

I was thinking the exact same thing! It's good for modular building, as you can easily replace modules if you get tired of them, replace them with other track layouts, and/or if you want to work on hard to reach details on them.

I may build the layout so a new expansion module can be added in the middle for possible future expansion. One thing I am planning is trying to implement a system in the Akihabra were i can have interchangeable advertising bourds on the buildings so i can change the show adverts from time to time to keep things fresh.
  • Like 1

The little 1x2 and 1x3mm magnets on ebay are great for holding buildings and signs to make them removable and changeable

Jeff

I recall seeing a site (magazine?) that had photos of a small circular (AKA pizza) layout divided into four quadrants.

Each quadrant had the exact same scene, but representing each of the four seasons ;-)

If you don't know of it already, Carl Arendt's "former" micro layout site might provide some ideas on transitioning between scenes. It was much better organized when he ran it, and the caretaker is doing a less than wonderful job maintaining it, but it still contains the full archives.

Fair warning - a full viewing will take several hours, so you might want to do it in chunks.

http://www.carendt.com/

• Like 1

The Pizza season layout rings a bell, i cant remember where from.

Thanks for the site link it should prove useful inspiration for the corner sections.

I know I have seen a 4 season layout that was done from tomix modules and corner modules in one of the Japanese model magazines I have. I'll see if I can locate it. Quite nice family project that stored in high shelves in their small apartment.

Jeff

So I have actually managed to get something productive done after just playing trains lately, I have managed to make some back scene templates, I will use these as a guide for the actual wooden back scenes.

DSCF3044_zpsajsitdcq.jpg

DSCF3045_zpsuwwldjsk.jpg

DSCF3046_zpswpucierb.jpg

• Like 5