Time to Maglev exhibition Center from Tokyo

Hey guys. I want to go to Mt Fuji, but first I want to stop at the Maglev Center. I want to be there when they opening at 9 am. How long does it take from Shinjuku to Otsuki with the Limited Express, and how much would it be?. Is there a pass?

I've been out of the country for a while but from what I remember Shinjuku is tricky to navigate through, even for residents unless you know the exact path to get where you're going.

I used a combination of Google maps and HyperDia to get my train travel estimates, but for anything in Shinjuku at least 20 minutes should be added for Navigation.

A quick search shows a minimum of a little over an hour travel time on the correct train up to two hours with transfers.

Were you planning on climbing Fuji or just viewing? I had quite a bit of fun climbing that mountain.

• Like 1

I'll take the LTD Express Azusa if I can. I probably take a bus up, if I'm going up. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do when I'm there. I was thinking about checking out the cave. Maybe I'll spend a night. I'll decide when I'm there.

About 60 minutes to Otsuki by limited express. Add 20 minutes if running buy locals.

Then bus from Otsuki - http://www.linear-museum.pref.yamanashi.jp/english/access.html

Or you can walk from the stations mentioned.

There is also a 2 day pass on the Fujikyu website that allows usage of their trains and the retro/omni buses.

"IF" you are gonna do the linear museum.  I'd plan to stay over night.  Doing the museum, plus Chureito Pagoda, Kachi Kachi Ropeway, Kawaguchiko cruise, Fujisan museum and the caves, (which are quick some distance from Kawaguichiko Station.  You'll probably want 1.5 days.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Ohhh. Thanks. I'll look into that. I might stay a night, and than go to Hakone to take the cable car, and than to Yokohama to the museum.

I'll take the LTD Express Azusa if I can. I probably take a bus up, if I'm going up. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do when I'm there. I was thinking about checking out the cave. Maybe I'll spend a night. I'll decide when I'm there.

Azusa/Super Azusa don't stop between Hachioji and Kofu. The Kaiji does stop at Otsuki.

According to Hyperdia, it takes around 68 mins to get from Shinjuku to Otsuki station, via the limited express Azusa 7. departs Shinjuku at 08:30, arrives Otsuki at 09:38.

Of course, you could also take the earlier Ltd Exp Azusa 3 departing Shinjuku at 07:30, arriving otsuki at 08:30.

It costs a total of 2770 yen (1320 for fare, 1450 for seat fare) per pax one way. The nation wide pass or the JR East pass both covers this fare completely free, and reservation is recommended though not required.

Or Super Azusa 1 departing at 07:00 and one of the regular Azusas back to Shinjuku and you get to ride both E351 & E257 series.

Either way you should reserve seats on those early morning Super/Azusas as soon as possible as they're popular with commuters.

I would attempt to go for the Azusa 1 if you can get it at 7am.  Arrives at Otsuki at 7:55am.  First bus to the museum doesn't depart until 8:45am.  So you have a little time to railfan.

The Azusa 1 has non reserved seating and the service starts at Shinjuku.  So it you cannot cannot reserve a seat, just buy a ticket for non reserved seat and arrive on the platform at 6:30am and be the first one on the train.

• Like 1

Even better if I don't need a reservation. I'll be there at 6:30. Gonna check out what platform to go there the day before.

According to HyperDia the early morning Azusa and Super Azusa do stop at Otsuki. In the evening there are some Super/Azusas along with the Kaijis as well.

Hah, evidently I've never been on one at those times.

I tried ro reserved a seat on the Super Azusa three days in advance but wasn't able to get one. This was on a normal weekday too. You can buy tickets and reserve your seats up to 30 days in advance at any Midori-no-Madoguchi.

It will depend very much on the season, time of day, direction of travel etc. Had no problems Thursday or Friday getting reserved seats 30 ~ 60 minutes before departure. Checking for early morning departures from Shinjuku tomorrow (Monday), still seats available.

• Like 2