Positive effects of Hokuriku Shinkansen continue

The biggest advantage was that it turned what was once a 4+ hour train trip from Tokyo to Kanazawa (Tanigawa Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Echigo-Yuzawa, then Hokuetsu Express from Echigo-Yuzawa to Kanazawa) down to a trip around 2.5 hours the Kagayaki Shinkansen train. No wonder why tourism around Kanazawa has substantially picked up since March 2015.

Das Steinkopf

I will be heading there in about 3 weeks time and hopefully I will have some nice photos to put up on the forums, my son is extremely excited as his first N Scale train was a W7 Hakutaka that we got for him when we were in Japan last time.

It makes it a quick weekend away for Tokyo locals.

Yep. The well-known onsen resorts at Wakura Onsen is now only a short train ride from Kanazawa Station, and the famous onsen resorts at Kaga Onsen is only a short bus ride away from Kanazawa Station.

Das Steinkopf

Indeed it is. In fact the whole station is most impressive.

But then my mother and I found Kanazawa a most enjoyable town overall.

Cheers NB

My wife has already scoped out the mall inside Kanazawa Eki and I dare say she will be spending a good deal of time there, I might use that as an excuse to go for a walk to Higashikanazawa to do a bit of gunzelling.

Not really a surprize.  Hokkaido functions completely differently to the rest of the country.  And winter yeah isn't the greatest time to be travelling.  Night trains being nearly empty is interesting.  But then most tourists travel between 10am-4pm.

Peach Airlines do 4,000 yen flights + the regular extras Tokyo to Sapporo.  So spending 10,000+ yen for a train doesn't appeal when the train travel time is 7 hours.

Maybe when The full line is complete and Tohoku tourism ramps up (which it really has only recently attempt to attract foreign visitors), then the Hokkaido Shinkansen will become more appealing.  Once there is more interest stops/destinations along the way.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Indeed.... As katoftw had pointed out, it is more cost effective to take the plane, and it lands in Sapporo Chitose Airport... Having to take the H5 will land you only at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto, and you need to make transfers to Sapporo, which in turns requires more time and money...

Hopefully, when Hokkaido Shinkansen reaches Sapporo (and hopefully beyond), the ridership can increase due to a much easier access to Sapporo and from other regions along the Tohoku line that is far from any airports.

I really think the Japanese government should put more emphasis on getting the Hokkaido Shinkansen extended to Sapporo first over completing the Hokuriku Shinkansen line to Shin-Osaka. It's more convenient to fly from Tokyo Haneda to Sapporo-Chitose, but Sapporo Chitose if already running at capacity and they can't accommodate any more planes.