My second Japanese layout

ianlaw

Hello all,

After building my first z-gauge Japanese layout a few years ago I have now started on a larger N-gauge layout. Some might remember I made extensive use of inkjet printed textures for scratch building. I am doing the same again.

I have found that it's best to take photos as soon as an item is built because this will show up flaws better than just looking at it, and hopefully in time to be able to rectify any too apparent problems.

For now just an appetizer. This is the first corner which is presentable.

More with maybe a track plan in a future post. 

post-908-0-34864400-1490124962_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Jeff,

Yes, the structures are card covered with printed textures. The metal bridge is a painted Greenmax kit. Track is Peco code 55, ballasted and painted (ballast and track).

Ian

• Like 1

Hello all,

A quick not to scale track plan for those who are curious. As you can see it's just a single dogbone layout. Only flexrail for the scenic sections. All small radius bends are hidden in non-scenic sections. Just one visible passing loop and 3 off scene storage sidings. The layout is narrow because my BR blue layout is built below it and needs sufficient viewing and access. Japan is built at 1.4m height. Britain at 0.7m. :)

The previous photo was taken to the top left of the plan where the tram line disappears below the railway.

Top area will be urban. Lower area rural.

I may add an hakone style mountain railway above the right non scenic section.

Intended for up to 6 coach expresses passing though and up to 4 coach stopping services.

Rolling stock various Kihas.

post-908-0-00586600-1490373807_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello all,

Some new retaining walls have appeared... which called for a spot of train watching. :)

post-908-0-17307900-1490468031_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-42896300-1490468042_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-84550800-1490472965_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianlaw
  • Like 11

Hello all,

Small update after some road works. It's clear this tram crossing will need some type of barrier protection.

I've also put up an older photo showing the three bridges across the as yet nameless river.... I'm waiting for my wife to come up with a name. :)

post-908-0-13603500-1491069379_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-45278400-1491069387_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-97353100-1491069786_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Charles,

Just time. I haven't got around to weathering many of my trains/ vehicles yet. The tram would first need a new destination board and a driver (as in the lorry). I will also only weather the rolling stock once I'm sure I will be actually using it on my layout. 

Densha,

I live very close to Kinderdijk. Where do you live?

• Like 1

Densha,

I live very close to Kinderdijk. Where do you live?

Ah, Kinderdijk. That's rather close to Delft, where I am living at least part of the time. I'll send you a PM.

Hi all,

I found some free papercraft print-yourself models which looked too good not to try. They are intended as cut, fold, paste, ponk models and as such would not be very convincing. The fold lines are printed very visibly, so I cut each wall out separately to remove these. I also layered the walls with window frames and provided glass in front of the printed interior. I also changed to shape to suit the windy tram route I'm planning. It didn't turn out bad.

post-908-0-68339500-1491672978_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-55625800-1491672991_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Great work Ian! That's the way to runt a paper craft model into a very nice cardstock model!

Where did you find this one, don't have that one in my free collection from the web. Pm me if you want some more free printies.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi all,

Not much action, but I put up a section of the back scene  The back scene is the same as I used for my BR layout, but I will be hiding the rolling hills with scenery, basically just using the sky. I probably will be replacing the bridge piers with rounded versions.

I also built two buildings from textures I found on www.textures.com to be used behind the station.

The left I layered up with transparent windows and extra window frames. The right one was used as is. I have noticed it all depends on the angle of viewing if the layering actually is required and improves things.

post-908-0-90541100-1492540446_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-66340000-1492540456_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ian,

Excellent work on those buildings! what did you use for window frames? did you cut those windows openings by hand?

cheers

jeff

Jeff,

Glue texture to card. Cut out windows (by hand). Trace windows on white paper (for the entire wall). Mark window frames slightly smaller with pencil and ruler. Cut out. Dry fit behind the wall. If all has gone right, glue window frames behind the wall. Because all the window frames are on one piece of paper this isn't too difficult. Add clear plastic, add curtains. Add floors and back of building. Place on layout. :)

• Like 1

Awesome stuff! This motivates me to get a printer as well and do experimenting like this in combination with my cutter plotter.

• Like 1

A new arrival to supplement the old kiha 82. First photo with the rapido couplers between the carriages, which I soon cut off and replaced to get a more realistic distance between the carriages (second photo). I've also started replacing the rectangular bridge piers with round ones.  Tapered would be even better, but are a pain to make.

Has anyone lowered the interior of the non motor carriages to give a free view through the windows?

post-908-0-07633600-1493059715_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-97045300-1493059724_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-40431600-1493059776_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianlaw
  • Like 9

Ah, very nice. Saw several of these in the San'in and San'yo regions in Japan. They are really good-looking. The livery also reminds me of NS trains.

Ian,

nice. whats the white fencing material there in shot 3? looks very nice. looks like you used it on a window as well.

jeff