I think I've found a reason why Tomix is bringing some production back to Japan

Rod.H

Not too long back I acquired an Tomix 1750 set, which I only just got around to using. All was fine till I tried to connect a C605 to another track piece and it wouldn't seat properly: 
post-4306-0-98975600-1489748165_thumb.jpg

I tried again on a different piece with the same result, checked the fishplate, found a few closed up, opened the fishplates up, still not joining properly.  This issue was beginning to seriously irk me, then I noticed something: 
post-4306-0-06375700-1489747836_thumb.jpg

The short rail is overhanging the base by just enough to prevent it joining. the other end is not out by the same amount:
 post-4306-0-18450500-1489748723_thumb.jpg

The quick solution is to trim it to fit, the long solution is to inform Hobby Search about the faulty product they sent me & possibly others.

• Like 1

Did you check the other end? Finetrack uses small balls spot welded into the bottom of the rails to keep the rails in the base. If it gets broken off due to excessive force, the rail could start to slide back and forth in the base, creating a too long end on one side and a too short en on the other. The solution is not to cut it off, but to slide it back in place.

The other possibility is that the other end is at the correct location, which would mean an actual assembly fault.

kvp, I did that, I even tapped that rail end a few times on the board, it didn't move. So it's definitely a longer rail then what should be there.

Edited by Rod.H

Update, I informed Hobby Search about the problem and they sent me a complete set. I examined it through the blister pack, no overlength rail in sight, just tweeked fishplates/joiners.

• Like 1

Not too long back I acquired an Tomix 1750 set, which I only just got around to using. All was fine till I tried to connect a C605 to another track piece and it wouldn't seat properly: 

attachicon.giftrain 009.JPG

I tried again on a different piece with the same result, checked the fishplate, found a few closed up, opened the fishplates up, still not joining properly.  This issue was beginning to seriously irk me, then I noticed something: 

attachicon.giftrain 015.JPG

The short rail is overhanging the base by just enough to prevent it joining. the other end is not out by the same amount:

attachicon.giftrain 016.JPG

The quick solution is to trim it to fit, the long solution is to inform Hobby Search about the faulty product they sent me & possibly others.

Hello,

If you received the product from HobbySearch they will probably send you a replacement without requesting that single piece of track be returned.  You should contact them and follow through.