My smaller Japanese style layout

VJM

Sometimes my large N scale layout can be a bit unwieldy to get a train on and running.  I wanted to build something small and simple, and easy to move around.  In addition, my son likes to put his nose right up to the trains and see them close-up.  So we decided on something relatively simple, with a dual unelectrified-line rural look that you might find in the middle of nowhere in Japan.  Took us about a week.

Layout planning and track check

large_l101.jpg.c73c6a476a3dd1207ca0757c218489f9.jpg

Baseboard, landscaping and building placement

large_l102.jpg.73d46c7ccd642b00157c2209b7f72a16.jpg

Overhead view of the finished layout

large_l103.jpg.e004cc25ae18f430914df39c4f364bd4.jpg

Edited by VJM
  • Like 18

wow, good stuff VJM!  so that last picture is actual size? :)

If you've got a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1080 (or so), then I think the picture is a little larger than actual size.

Amazing job as always VJM!  What's your process for making those dirt roads, they look great!

If you look carefully at the landscaping picture (the second one), where the roads are placed is actually another piece of MDF.  It's airbrushed with a yellow-brown sort of paint, then fine yellowish architectural powder sprinkled and glued into place.  Another layer of airbrushing lightly over the top with the yellow, then a sort of brown-grey to finish off the dirt look.

The flower fields are a very special idea not seen often. Good work!

The flower fields (supposed to look like lavender) came from an example layout that Rokuhan produced and I have pretty much based this layout on.

• Like 1

Looks good!. And in Z gauge there is always plenty of space left to add more detail as and when you feel like it.

large_l108.jpg.6647a03168f1de200637e8f11da38902.jpg

I think Rokuhan should be extremely proud of what they have achieved in Z scale.  The newly released C57 is a superb model - smooth, quiet, loco drive and excellent details.  I've left the Imperial flags off the front of the locomotive in this picture.

Rokuhan T027-3 J.N.R C57 Steam Locomotive Number 1 Imperial Train Edition pulling

Rokuhan T014-4 Moka Railway Series 50 Passenger Car (Red Line)

Edited by VJM
  • Like 16

Bit of a struggle to get this one to come out well when it is very dark, so the lights in the town look too bright on the camera.  There's no lighting towards the edges of the layout, so it's pitch black.

large_l111.jpg.30c19ad10637499cb73078c1f6d0a0a4.jpg

Edited by VJM
  • Like 5