Explore the 1930s system that directs trains through Toronto’s Union Station

bill937ca

Now I have to wonder if kvp actually got access, or just liked the concept of Bill's post without checking the link?

You load the site, get the popup, go to explore view, locate the header, delete the overlay tag without reloading the site... and it's open.

This is a nice old fully electro mechanical interlocking of the type i have the original patent documents saved somewhere...

You load the site, get the popup, go to explore view, locate the header, delete the overlay tag without reloading the site... and it's open.

kvp - it's probably just my lack of web sophistication, but you lost me after "get the popup".

Would you be willing to provide screen shots of:

- go to explore view, 

- locate the header,

- delete the overlay tag without reloading the site

As a general observation, you always seem to assume that the entire potential audience has the same level of technical expertise that you do in many fields, and express yourself as if of course they'll understand what you're talking about - when they don't even share the same vocabulary.

velo, if you're using chrome then:

1. wait for the page to load so that the panel showing the registration options is up
  2. right click a black area to the right
  3. choose "Inspect"
  4. a new window will open and a row will be highlighted (should be a <div class="tp-modal"...)
  5. in this new window, right-click that div and choose "Delete Element"
  6. you'll now just have the black overlay, go back to the main window and then right click and choose Inspect again
  7. the next element (should be <div class="tp-backdrop tp-active"...) will be selected
  8. Delete it also.
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the excellent instructions Stephen.  For me they were just descriptive enough, and I must say that I've never edited HTML before.

I'm curious - would others who were not aware of this process previously be willing to speak up?  I have no idea of how many here might have known of this technique, vs. how many it was also new territory for?

I've printed this out to try in other, similar situations.

The only thing I'd add is that Inspect shows up as Inspect Element - since it was the only Inspect option it didn't take much to sort out.

I'm curious - would others who were not aware of this process previously be willing to speak up?  I have no idea of how many here might have known of this technique, vs. how many it was also new territory for?

I've printed this out to try in other, similar situations.

I've used the inspect to grab links to photo's that were on websites that block saving photos, but didn't know about this technique.  Thanks for the tip, KVP and stevenh!

Only meant if you wanted to get a shot of a protected picture for your own personal use.

You know what I meant Charles.

Jeff

No - if you look at Kiha's post, he's talking about grabbing links (theoretically for the forum), not saving personal copies of images.

I was questioning it because your comment didn't seem to follow the flow of the conversation.

Getting the link is also usable for downloading or just proper viewing. I often have to go diving for a link if the site doesn't allow full size or zooming, just to be able to see the image with all details.