Hell Gate Bridge Is 100 Years Old

Jcarlton

That's a great blog post on a bridge I've always found interesting. Thanks!

All the best,

Mark.

"The North and East River tunnels were far more costly than the Hell gate Bridge, as large as it was."

Is North a typo when they meant Hudson River? 

If not, I have no idea what they're talking about.

"The North and East River tunnels were far more costly than the Hell gate Bridge, as large as it was."

Is North a typo when they meant Hudson River? 

If not, I have no idea what they're talking about.

The Hudson is called the North River next to Manhattan by people who work in and around the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_River_(Hudson_River)

The Pennsy called it the North River so that is what I used.

Edited by Jcarlton

Well, I was born in Manhattan, but this is new to me - likely because my dad always referred to it as the Hudson, and I don't recall hearing it described as anything else - guess I didn't hang out with local mariners or PRR crews ;-)

Here's the beginning of the full Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_River_(Hudson_River)

"North River is an alternate name for the southernmost portion of the Hudson River in the vicinity of New York City and northeastern New Jersey in the United States. The colonial name for the entire Hudson was given to it by the Dutch in the early seventeenth century, the term fell out of general use for most of the river's 300+ mile course during the early 1900s. However it still retains currency as an alternate or additional name among local mariners and others as well as appearing on some nautical charts and maps."